A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gut check before I replace my trunk hinges

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gut check before I replace my trunk hinges

Hi everyone,

I'm having trunk problems (as usual) with my '06 A8L. I went ahead and ordered a new set of OEM hinges a few weeks ago, but was surprised to learn that my hinges were replaced at 30k miles (68k miles now).

So, before diving in and painting and installing the hinges, I decided to replace the trunk struts. However, the problem still isn't fixed.

I'm not 100% confident that the replacing the hinges will fix the problem, so I took a video to show you all:

video here: http://d.pr/BEiD

Notice how the passenger side pops up strong while the driver's side doesn't come up at all. Any second opinions?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's exactly what mine does but doesn't make it quite that far up.

Wondering if the motor doesn't have enough oomph to push the lid ?

Mine was used a LOT previously as the button on the door is scuffed heavily like the on/off AC button is.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My trunk did that (2008 A8L @26k miles). I thought of replacing the struts but I brought it to Audi instead and they replaced the hinges and motor; they didnt replace the struts. Its worked fine ever since (for about a year now).
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tbisaacs
Hi everyone,

I'm having trunk problems (as usual) with my '06 A8L. I went ahead and ordered a new set of OEM hinges a few weeks ago, but was surprised to learn that my hinges were replaced at 30k miles (68k miles now).

So, before diving in and painting and installing the hinges, I decided to replace the trunk struts. However, the problem still isn't fixed.

I'm not 100% confident that the replacing the hinges will fix the problem, so I took a video to show you all:

video here: http://d.pr/BEiD

Notice how the passenger side pops up strong while the driver's side doesn't come up at all. Any second opinions?
An experiment before changing hinges. Just pool out middle of both peaces with plastic cable holders for about 1/4". It is easy. All aluminum. You may decide to return those hinges. They are not any better than old ones. Not better painted for sure.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine does just about the exact same thing lol. The driver side seems to stick and the passenger seems fine. After a little stick it opens on its own; only if the car is running. If I turn off the car and use the key fob to open the trunk it gets stuck. I used WD-40 on all the hinges and it worked really nice until the next day when it went right back to doing the same thing.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has the exact same issue. It has nothing to do with the hinges. The problem lies in the voltage going to the motor or the motor itself. One thing I noticed if I trickle charge my battery overnight the hinge would open up fine the following day, but after a few times opening and closing it seemed as if it did not have enough juice to open. The acuator motor winding either gets weak and doesn't create enough torque to open it or the supply voltage is just not enough to get the trunk up in the air. I believe the actuator motor is failing. I am going to experiment with a couple different remedies to hopefully come up with a solution to fix the problem.

I will post if I come up with something.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
After a little stick it opens on its own; only if the car is running. If I turn off the car and use the key fob to open the trunk it gets stuck.
Interesting.

I almost never open it with the car running - need to experiment with that.
Could substantiate that it is the motor / voltage.

Last edited by jakematic; 08-24-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: corrected quotation method
Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
An experiment before changing hinges. Just pool out middle of both peaces with plastic cable holders for about 1/4". It is easy. All aluminum. You may decide to return those hinges. They are not any better than old ones. Not better painted for sure.
Are you saying to bend the hinges?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
Mine has the exact same issue. It has nothing to do with the hinges. The problem lies in the voltage going to the motor or the motor itself. One thing I noticed if I trickle charge my battery overnight the hinge would open up fine the following day, but after a few times opening and closing it seemed as if it did not have enough juice to open. The acuator motor winding either gets weak and doesn't create enough torque to open it or the supply voltage is just not enough to get the trunk up in the air. I believe the actuator motor is failing. I am going to experiment with a couple different remedies to hopefully come up with a solution to fix the problem.

I will post if I come up with something.
Would replacing the motor fix this problem (if it's a voltage problem, I mean)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine does the same thing, I've just tried to open the trunk with the engine running and it didn't make any difference.

Quick Reply: Gut check before I replace my trunk hinges