A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove front bumper trim ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default How to remove front bumper trim ?

I have the bumper off the car, I have the Euro (non side marker) trim in hand, I am looking at the back side of the bumper....and I can not see any of the many tabs that are on the new pieces, and therefore must be on the pieces in my bumper. What is the process for removing the chrome strip and the body color trim piece that surrounds the park sensor ?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

This is the ALLdata procedure:

Before removing, cover the bumper cover above and below side impact molding with fabric-reinforced adhesive tape to protect paint from damage.
Disengage catches over side impact molding - 2 - in steps, starting from outside.
Slide trim strip - 1 - sideways against side impact molding and remove.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default maybe...

Originally Posted by TSHong
This is the ALLdata procedure:

Before removing, cover the bumper cover above and below side impact molding with fabric-reinforced adhesive tape to protect paint from damage.
Disengage catches over side impact molding - 2 - in steps, starting from outside.
Slide trim strip - 1 - sideways against side impact molding and remove.
There is a tab on the END of that 'impact molding', that they do not mention. The molding has to come out in a very specific direction, and they do not mention that. Also, I dont think there is a crack large enough to allow ANY tool in there (no obscenity intended).

Way too vague. But, amazingly, the Audi dealer has no R&R instructions in their data base for that operation. I am quite convinced the pieces can not be released from the back side, so I am thinking Dremmel tool. If I Dremmel out everything but the perimeter of the molding I ought to be looking at what I need to release.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
There is a tab on the END of that 'impact molding', that they do not mention. The molding has to come out in a very specific direction, and they do not mention that. Also, I dont think there is a crack large enough to allow ANY tool in there (no obscenity intended).

Way too vague. But, amazingly, the Audi dealer has no R&R instructions in their data base for that operation. I am quite convinced the pieces can not be released from the back side, so I am thinking Dremmel tool. If I Dremmel out everything but the perimeter of the molding I ought to be looking at what I need to release.

Could you take some pictures on your phone as you go and post them here. I'll be doing this in a week or two just waiting for trim to arrive.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am giving up on ever getting those trim pieces off the car. I see them on eBay so I know there is a way...but I cant find anyone who knows how ! I am going to have the markers painted instead.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hold off on the painting.. My euro marker delete trim pieces arrive in the mail Monday.. I'll take pictures of the process to help you out, seeing as you already bought the same pieces. Or paint yours. It's your A8 lol.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default GREAT !

Originally Posted by Heyst
Hold off on the painting.. My euro marker delete trim pieces arrive in the mail Monday.. I'll take pictures of the process to help you out, seeing as you already bought the same pieces. Or paint yours. It's your A8 lol.
Photos and pointers from some one who has actually done the R&R are exactly what I need because I am stumped ! My trim pieces are painted and ready to install. I had given up on ever getting them on the car and was planning to get the marker lenses painted like I did on my last A8; I would much rather have the Euro trim.

Thanks and good luck....I am VERY curious as to how those pieces are removed.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have pictures or video but its as the instructions mask up the bumper (Few layers) then slip a lever into the edge towards the outside and lever it off.

You cant undo from the reverse of bumper
Old 07-02-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default too vague

Originally Posted by haggisuk
I don't have pictures or video but its as the instructions mask up the bumper (Few layers) then slip a lever into the edge towards the outside and lever it off.

You cant undo from the reverse of bumper

Have you actually removed the bumper trim pieces yourself ?

If you have ever seen the back side of one of these trim pieces and seen how many tabs there are, and if you have looked from the back side of the bumper and looked at the one tab that can be accessed you will see that each tab doent just go into a slot that would require the tab to be depressed to allow the barb of the tab to clear said slot......no, there is a flap that protrudes from the top of the slot, and that tab must be bent back in order to allow the travel of the tab neccessary for the barb of the tab to clear the slot.

So I cant see how simply 'slipping a lever' into the seam (which is too tight to allow even the masking tape and would never accomadate any tool without damage to the bumper) will accomplish anything.

If you have personal experience with this R&R PLEASE share more details about how you got it done !
Old 07-02-2017, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
Have you actually removed the bumper trim pieces yourself ?

If you have ever seen the back side of one of these trim pieces and seen how many tabs there are, and if you have looked from the back side of the bumper and looked at the one tab that can be accessed you will see that each tab doent just go into a slot that would require the tab to be depressed to allow the barb of the tab to clear said slot......no, there is a flap that protrudes from the top of the slot, and that tab must be bent back in order to allow the travel of the tab neccessary for the barb of the tab to clear the slot.

So I cant see how simply 'slipping a lever' into the seam (which is too tight to allow even the masking tape and would never accomadate any tool without damage to the bumper) will accomplish anything.

If you have personal experience with this R&R PLEASE share more details about how you got it done !
I have done both front and rear bumper R&R due to scrapes, The rear bumper trim snapped off a few tabs trying to remove, so had to buy new, front trims came out reasonably OK.

Only thing I could possibly advise is apply heat to tabs that are visible to make them more pliable and some silicone spray to help on its way out.

Quick Reply: How to remove front bumper trim ?