A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace the shifter strip

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks man.... I have had it in my trunk.... just procrastinating because I am not familiar with it. Your post is an inspiration!!!...

Thanks Again!
Old 07-12-2022, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did this yesterday with the linked part from Amazonia and it does not function 100%. It will not work in manual mode and shows PRNDS in large bold font on the dash the entire time, no matter which gear you have selected. I recommend to pass on the Amazonia part. I ordered directly from the dealership this time and will report back once installed.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by maxandtara
Thanks man.... I have had it in my trunk.... just procrastinating because I am not familiar with it. Your post is an inspiration!!!...

Thanks Again!
Y'welcome! Did you do it yet? Where did you get yours?

Originally Posted by flawless45
Just did this yesterday with the linked part from Amazonia and it does not function 100%. It will not work in manual mode and shows PRNDS in large bold font on the dash the entire time, no matter which gear you have selected. I recommend to pass on the Amazonia part. I ordered directly from the dealership this time and will report back once installed.
Oh NOOooooo! Mine's on the proverbial slow boat from China. We'll see.
How much was the $tealer price on yours?
Old 07-12-2022, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic

Way too much, $136.61 plus $9.08 for shipping but i don't want to do it again trying to save a few bucks after this.
https://www.buyaudivwparts.com/oem-p...rip-4e1713187a
Old 07-12-2022, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Are you sure you installed it right? Put it in the wrong way round and you’ll get what you’ve got. It has to go in a very specific way around, but you can put it in the wrong way around. The magnets need to line up with with the sensors on the circuit board, and the strip needs to be smooth side up.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Are you sure you installed it right? Put it in the wrong way round and you’ll get what you’ve got. It has to go in a very specific way around, but you can put it in the wrong way around. The magnets need to line up with with the sensors on the circuit board, and the strip needs to be smooth side up.
Yes, I made sure the magnets were facing the sensors, smooth side up, the exact same way the original one was installed. It may not be making good contact but I will wait until I have the new part in to take it apart once more. I will report back on what I find, could be an error on my part but I don't think so.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic

I refused to pay what $100 for it.
1st replacement - bought a entire gear shifter $50 w/ the plastic cover attached.... lasted me about 3 years....
2nd replacement, Since it just a decorative piece of plastic, decided to try the one from china $13-$15....
shifter cover
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...8danefF8n&mp=1

I don't recall where I bought the part. The link is one of many selling the part.
As per Dave's comments, confirm that the one you are buying has those magnets.

Last edited by maxandtara; 07-13-2022 at 08:38 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-12-2022, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by maxandtara
I refused to pay what $100 for it.
1st replacement - bought a entire gear shifter $50 w/ the plastic cover attached.... lasted me about 3 years....
2nd replacement, Since it just a decorative piece of plastic,decided to try the one from china $13-$15....
shifter cover
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...8danefF8n&mp=1
My bold. You see it really isn’t. As I mentioned previously it’s not just decorative. It’s the actual tiptronic shifter “mechanism”, specifically the two small magnets on it. It’s the position of those magnets in relation to the sensors integrated into the shifter circuit board that tells the trans which ‘gear’ is selected, and consequently which gear to shift into. There is no physical connection. All drive-by-wire.

So depending on how the cover fails, it could easily leave you stranded.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 12-08-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Suck me sideways.
I bought that $21 part from Scamazon - but the "seller" oddly fell off the map, never shipped, and I got my money back. I bought another one off eBay for $25 (probably the same sweatshop part). I'll get it this weekend and try it. Those magnets are probably made of human skulls or something.

Like others on this board - we're trying to find a happy medium from the exorbitant pricing of Audi parts. There doesn't seem to be one. You either get over-priced parts that work - or utter garbage that either doesn't work - or fails way before it should. No wonder they're touting bicycles these days.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
My bold. You see it really isn’t. As I mentioned previously it’s not just decorative. It’s the actual shifter “mechanism”, specifically the two small magnets on it. It’s the position of those magnets in relation to the sensors integrated into the shifter circuit board that tells the trans which ‘gear’ is selected, and consequently which gear to shift into. There is no physical connection. All drive-by-wire.

So depending on how the cover fails, it could easily leave you stranded.
I don't understand your statement Dave. Right now that OEM part is broken. During the times the cover has been broken, including the present, I have not encountered any issues with vehicle operation related to the shifter.
Perhaps I am just lucky, but I have not found a post related to vehicle operation with a torn up shifter cover.

When I was typing my comment, it dawned on me the instances when and how those covers were broken.
Each time those covers broke down.
1. Wife was complaining about shifting issues.
2. There was a time I had some power related issues (car stalling), I was trying to put the shifter in a position so I can restart the car.

For me the lesson learned here is
  • Do not exert more than normal force in shifting. If you do, you may tear up the shifter cover.
  • Like Dave I do believe there is a purpose for the magnetic mechanism.
  • From my experience, the purpose of the magnets is to prevent you from putting the shifter in a position that will damage your transmission.
Maybe at a subconscious level the inconsistency with Chinese parts is the reason why I have not installed the gear cover. I will report and warn you guys if I do find issues.

Quick Reply: How to replace the shifter strip