A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace the shifter strip

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Are you sure you didn’t accidentally dislodge the circuit board in the shifter? It’s held down by clips but can easily get unclipped during the job. This results in the circuit board moving away from the magnets which will render the hall sensors non-functional. You will need to unclip the aluminum trim piece to get to it.

I did some SSP diving and there is a physical connection to the transmission via a cable that does PRNDS. However tiptronic/manual shifting is 100% drive-by-wire and is completely controlled by the shifter strip magnets and circuit board hall sensors. No physical connection.

When in PRNDS, the hall sensors control the shifter LED’s. However it will throw a fault code if the hall sensor readings don’t correspond with the physical shifter position.
I think Dave has a point.

Since your are reporting the PRNDS after the fact, I am assuming it was working before this process started.

I would have reverted back to the damaged cover, to get a baseline of what was going on.

Let us know how you solved this issue.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went back and took everything apart again, including the trim piece over the circuit board and everything looks as it should. the old one fell into pieces when I originally took it apart and was tossed. I didn't notice the PRNDS at first until after the fact. I'm guessing some wire going to that circuit board must of got a break in it when I took it apart originally. All the connectors and the wires I can see look fine.

maxandtara, if you can find that shifter I am interested, please let me know. It's about $87.00 and up on fleabay, I will go that route if I have to but if we can work something out then even better.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the OP for this instructive post - timely as mine just broke at 103k. I do have a few questions:

The part number given 4E1 713 187A is an updated part that my dealer says was updated in 2015 which means all D3s would have been built with the old part number 4E1 713 187 and that the updated part required an updated guide that, of course, is 3x the price of the cover strip. In reading this and other posts I get the impression that the new cover strip will work with the old guide - is this true? Is it true of both the OEM and Chinese knock off?

TIA, Tom
Old 07-30-2022, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Not sure on version history but the only part available is suffix “A”. No one here that’s installed version “A” has reported any subsequent issues.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave, New here...How do you put the shifter in "D"- Thank you!
Old 08-11-2022, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by Mladost1
Hi Dave, New here...How do you put the shifter in "D"- Thank you!
You’re asking how to move the shift lever into D???

Last edited by dvs_dave; 08-11-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick update, I bought a used shifter from eBay and replaced the trim piece with the circuit board and still have the same issue. Could both be bad or is there something else maybe causing this?
Old 08-15-2022, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by flawless45
Quick update, I bought a used shifter from eBay and replaced the trim piece with the circuit board and still have the same issue. Could both be bad or is there something else maybe causing this?
Presumably it was working ok before you tried to replace the strip? Sounds like you’re getting something wrong with the reassembly, or it’s a faulty new strip. Have you tried putting the remains of the old broken, but working strip back in? Does that work?
Old 08-17-2022, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Unfortunately I tossed the old strip out because it was in pieces when I swapped it originally with the Amazon strip. I am now using the new Audi OE strip with the same results. I also tried the Ebay replacement trim piece with the strip it came with that was obviously original and the same results. When I plug in the trim piece with the circuit board it does light up as it should but that is it.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

From my armchair it’s tough to make any other suggestions apart from you’re still getting something wrong with the reassembly.

Quick Reply: How to replace the shifter strip