A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hear water in my face vent!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first bought the car I took it to the dealer and told them there was a clog, they spent an hour on it and said the ones they check were clear! Is there any diagrams of all the drains that could possibly fill my face vent with water?
Thanks for all the feed back!!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If they had it for an hour, I suspect they only checked the sunroof and cowl drains. The Evap drain wouldn't have been on their list. Here's the instructions: audipages Unclogging the A8 Evaporator Drains on the D3 A8
Old 07-31-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
If they had it for an hour, I suspect they only checked the sunroof and cowl drains. The Evap drain wouldn't have been on their list. Here's the instructions: audipages Unclogging the A8 Evaporator Drains on the D3 A8
Thanks I'm going to try this tomorrow!! I'm a poor guy with an expensive car, trying to save a buck!! Thanks for all the input!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks All! The drain plugs under my carpet were plugged! Think I cleaned them out good, and thanks for all the input!! I'm not a mechanic but played one on tv!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's great but did you check the bulkhead drains and sunroof drains if you have one?
Old 08-02-2016, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haggisuk
That's great but did you check the bulkhead drains and sunroof drains if you have one?
I did not,but will look at my invoice to see what the dealer checked when I brought it in because whatever they checked they said wasn't clogged. If the sunroof drain was clogged there is no way that could cause the water in my face vent! Right?
Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Davidlorrain
I did not,but will look at my invoice to see what the dealer checked when I brought it in because whatever they checked they said wasn't clogged. If the sunroof drain was clogged there is no way that could cause the water in my face vent! Right?
Generally, when those get clogged, you hear water sloshing overhead and a damp headliner, and water making it's way to the floorboards not long after. I think parking under trees makes it more likely, all the runoff going through the drains. If you find that one of your exterior drains is clogged, I'd caution you against using compressed air to clear it. It's too easy to break the drain that way, and then it's a whole lot harder to fix.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Generally, when those get clogged, you hear water sloshing overhead and a damp headliner, and water making it's way to the floorboards not long after. I think parking under trees makes it more likely, all the runoff going through the drains. If you find that one of your exterior drains is clogged, I'd caution you against using compressed air to clear it. It's too easy to break the drain that way, and then it's a whole lot harder to fix.
Cool I think I fixed my issue by cleaning the drains you told me to, witch were clogged!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I hope it stays good for you. It's not a bad idea to check to see that the drains are all working properly by dumping some water into them and making sure it comes out okay. Some people don't catch it until a particularly heavy rain gets to their floorboards and fries several very expensive modules. Last time I checked a D3 for posterity, I found out the sunroof's front passenger drain was clogged. A bit of weed wacker line and it was all set, before it ever caused a problem.

There's not a lot of things you need to keep up with on the A8, besides the maintenance(for the love of Pete, don't skip or cheap out on the timing belt maintenance,) but occasionally checking drainage is on that short list.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidlorrain
Cool I think I fixed my issue by cleaning the drains you told me to, witch were clogged!
David,
I am just trying to help you here, so please don not take this the wrong way.

Forget what the invoice says, or the fact that you think that the drains you cleaned solved your problem, just pop the hood and remove the rubber gasket by cowl/firewall, then remove the cover for coolant reservoir, then lift the cowl cover for each side, this will take all of 60 seconds, now inspect for water, water level line, and dirt/debris, while you are in there why not use a hose to test that the water actually drains, or at least a very large bottle or water, now at least YOU will know that they are clear, please do not take what is written on your receipt as fact, or if and when you fry your MMI CH, CAN_BUS module, ETC. along with other modules under the carpet because of it being clogged, I guarantee you will not be happy...

Attached Thumbnails I hear water in my face vent!-content___media_external_images_media_5515.jpg  

Quick Reply: I hear water in my face vent!