A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm driving a 2014 D4L 4.0T as a loaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Hoot = $2800. Sunshade = $1400 Tweaked =$200. so $4400, IF they don't find anything else wrong. And they will. Probably about $10k --- so you should just plan on trading it in on a nice RELIABLE car. Or...
You should autocross the new A8L. Blow some minds and heck the dealer will still clear a profit!

They've got you right where they want you, bud...

-Tom

Well the transmission flush and software update only costed me $1291 OTD. The sunshade does work but it have to help it sometimes to get it to go up. They told me it would take 3 hrs of labor to tear down and put back together the rear deck just to tell me what's wrong and I was like no thanks and would've been 314.83 just for that. That's not including parts that it needs. I'll deal with the sunshade like it is or fix it later myself. As far as the alignment, I took it there a week ago and that only costed me $119 plus tax but I had them check it again this time because it still pulls to the right when driving in the city and everything was lined up correctly. So I got about $1450-$1500 from the dealer so far which is not bad.

The hoot noise did go away and seems to shift a little bit firmer from before. It never shifted bad but it does feel better than before so it's money well spent. I can't complain. It was fun while it lasted driving a 100K A8L for a few days .
Old 06-18-2014, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
everything working for a change... I think you could have gotten a really nice Newer, lower mileage D3 with all the money you lost on all these cars.
It's been sunny and hot here in the last few weeks and the rear sunshade did help a little with keeping the sun out.

Cheers,

Louis
Yea I could have technically gotten a 2009 D3 with all the money I lost. On that green one I had I'm sure you recall that the parktronic wasn't working and now it's working on this one. The rear sunshade does work on this one but sometimes I have to help it up and looks like something is binding up. So technically everything works on this car. The reason why it's acting up because the previous owner had it set in the mmi to go up everytime the car started and after 7-8 yrs it's puts a lot of wear and tear on it. I promise I will not get rid of this one for a while and I love the fact that it's from California so it's never seen snow/salt It's in impeccable shape for the year and all of the chrome trim is like new as well as the wheels. I won't drive mine in the snow because I have my 2 F150 4x4's and one of them(2002 white one with 155K miles) I currently drive everyday back and forth to work and I pull a trailer with it. And the other 2002 F150 4x4 FX4 only has 98K miles and I drive that to work another week and when I'm not pulling trailers and that truck is like new also. You can see the pic of that truck in the pic in my avatar by my name. Once in the blue moon i'll drive the A8 to work but I usually drive it when I'm off work and on nice days.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default The MMI should be cheap

Originally Posted by 2k6greena8
Yea I could have technically gotten a 2009 D3 with all the money I lost. On that green one I had I'm sure you recall that the parktronic wasn't working and now it's working on this one. The rear sunshade does work on this one but sometimes I have to help it up and looks like something is binding up. So technically everything works on this car. The reason why it's acting up because the previous owner had it set in the mmi to go up everytime the car started and after 7-8 yrs it's puts a lot of wear and tear on it. I promise I will not get rid of this one for a while and I love the fact that it's from California so it's never seen snow/salt It's in impeccable shape for the year and all of the chrome trim is like new as well as the wheels. I won't drive mine in the snow because I have my 2 F150 4x4's and one of them(2002 white one with 155K miles) I currently drive everyday back and forth to work and I pull a trailer with it. And the other 2002 F150 4x4 FX4 only has 98K miles and I drive that to work another week and when I'm not pulling trailers and that truck is like new also. You can see the pic of that truck in the pic in my avatar by my name. Once in the blue moon i'll drive the A8 to work but I usually drive it when I'm off work and on nice days.
The gears in mine were noisy. Ordered the 75.00 brass gears off eBay and paid a local stereo shop 100 to install. Totally smooth and quiet now.
I purchased mine six months ago and have been getting it sorted out. Lots of little items. So far:
MMI gears
Evaporator coil drains
Window tint changed to legal
Front upper control arm bushings
Anti sway bar links
Pads and rotors
Tranny filter and fluid
Driver door window controller
Gel coated and repainted ground effects

Still left;
Timing belt, rollers, water pump, and thermostat
Spark plugs
Fuel filter

My wife wishes I had purchased a new one.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

... take 3 hrs of labor to tear down and put back together the rear deck just to tell me what's wrong and I was like no thanks and would've been 314.83 just for that.[/QUOTE]

You can buy a brand new shade for a bit more than $100. Just ask Audiusaparts.com for parts on sale from VW America.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
In center of V. Not sequential. On regular 4.0T it feeds from one main air intake that then branches for each side of the V and its associated turbo. On the S8, it uses two truly separate air boxes and intakes. S8 has larger compressor wheels. Same basic stuff (detuned some) as the newer Bentleys w/ the "economy" boosted V8 instead of W12.
Exhaust is more important. If one turbo idles and the other one uses all exhaust gasses on lower rpm it gets to speed much faster cutting turbo lag. BMW has three of them working like that.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
... take 3 hrs of labor to tear down and put back together the rear deck just to tell me what's wrong and I was like no thanks and would've been 314.83 just for that.
You can buy a brand new shade for a bit more than $100. Just ask Audiusaparts.com for parts on sale from VW America.[/QUOTE]

Wow that cheap?? Does it really take 3 hrs to take apart?? Do you happen to have thr part number for that??
Old 06-21-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have not done it before it will take you more than 3 hours to get the shade out. You have to remove the rear deck which the blind is situated in. This means removing the rear seat, rear pillars and trims, some trims in the boot. I did it to remove my subwoofer in the rear deck a while back but will have to do it again soon as I need to fix my shade but it's such a PIA that I have put it off. It will probably take me 90 mins to get it out now if I really stay focused and go at it but then you know you have to actually fix it then (and play around with it) and then put it back in. Give yourself a whole day and some good weather if you have not done it before :-)
Old 06-21-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default "HOOTING" was FIXED for $1291?

Alright, I heard quite a few "hooting" stories, did anyone ever recorded this "sound" before? Everyone I who claims "hooting", never gets it fixed except you? Can you please describe the "hooting" before and after the "fixed", logically I think it's the software that fixes the problem, as you noticed shifting is different from before, "better or worse"?

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2866998">I haven't heard any result from this hooting problem, it just seems to fade away...</a>

Since mine is @93k miles already and I don't hear anything, I may not have the problem ever. I remembered to hear high pitch "hoot" sound when I was accelerating in the city before, but I can't seem to replicate it again. If it happens between 3-4 gear, then the trannie shifts so fast to even notice the gear changed.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tint the windows dark in the back and forget the shade my man.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Alright, I heard quite a few "hooting" stories, did anyone ever recorded this "sound" before? Everyone I who claims "hooting", never gets it fixed except you? Can you please describe the "hooting" before and after the "fixed", logically I think it's the software that fixes the problem, as you noticed shifting is different from before, "better or worse"?

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2866998">I haven't heard any result from this hooting problem, it just seems to fade away...</a>

Since mine is @93k miles already and I don't hear anything, I may not have the problem ever. I remembered to hear high pitch "hoot" sound when I was accelerating in the city before, but I can't seem to replicate it again. If it happens between 3-4 gear, then the trannie shifts so fast to even notice the gear changed.

Cheers,

Louis
It actually shifts a little bit firmer than before and the noise is gone. You have to give it moderate-hard throttle ie, merging on the interstate and its sounds like a very very low pitch squeak going from 3-4. I know spending that kinda money is silly to people but I don't regret it at all. Money well spent in my book. When you drive a premium car you will spend premium big money on service. That's the name of the game. If yours aint broke don't fix it and drive it like you normally would.

Quick Reply: I'm driving a 2014 D4L 4.0T as a loaner