A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's my turn... low rider

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so its not safe to drive?

Just found my right front to be slammed too...usu after being parked overnight.

From all the posts, I should repair asap and not drive it like a lowered car...
Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Neiko

Please do not drive with leak in the air suspension. The car can bottom out and create more damage to the undercarriage.
Also not good for the compressor either.
Of course it depends how bad it leaks, but experience ahows these leaks don't fix themselves.

You can determine which side by entering in lift mode and enabling the jack mode after the car is lifted- this will prevent the suspension from leveling from left to right as it usually tries to keep the sides level.

A tip for the air bag(if this is the problem), makensure the bag is bad before replacing it. 90% of the time it is just the o-rings that fail and it is much better to use the original bag(provided it is good condition) and replace o rings only. I learned this the hard way.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Svetlin
Old 11-27-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I see, great. planning on driving to LA this weekend.

Time to go car shopping or rent a car. Not sure if there is time to repair this week.

thanks for the tips
Old 11-27-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cclcal
I see, great. planning on driving to LA this weekend.

Time to go car shopping or rent a car. Not sure if there is time to repair this week.

thanks for the tips
I drove 50 miles on nice CA freeway without any problems but not 100s Anyhow, don't just shotgun part, do it correctly and find the real one to fix. It's a pain in Holiday season.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks Louis

I spoke w my mechanic and he's seen this before. I mentioned to check everything before replacing parts.

Does the other side go down too soon after? no need to preempt the issue by replacing parts right?

thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

No need to preemptively replace struts, at these cars' age, they pretty much go out randomly. Fronts are a lot more common to go out.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Does the other side go down too soon after?
thanks!
Yes, if you meant, will the drivers side lower because it can not hold up the front end after the system keeps trying to level out the right front and the compressor overheats and shuts down, then the left side will fall as the valves open for filling air which is not available as the compressor is shutdown, if you meant will the drivers side actually fail soon after the right side, you would have to look to the stars for that answer but who knows it could last the lifetime of the vehicle, all 4 of mine are original with 190K +, I do know when one of my fronts go, I will be replacing both sides for ride quality, as even though right now the bags are airtight and doing their job, I feel the struts themselves may not be up to par...

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 11-27-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for all you help

almost sold car to CarMax for 3000$ but just couldn't do it

on a side, anyone have speedometer issues? needle jumping all over - sometimes im going 180mph, others im going -40, haha
Old 11-27-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

thanks for all you help

almost sold car to CarMax for 3000$ but just couldn't do it

on a side, anyone have speedometer issues? needle jumping all over - sometimes im going 180mph, others im going -40, haha
The first instinct is always right, but now, you should follow my video to find the problem, it's not hard. You can do it without the Shop. You can't drive any car for $3k this nice - but if you don't do work yourself - let it go.
1. Start the car or charge the car.
2. Put on Lift Mode - You should hear the pump pumping - When the car raised up max and the pump stops pumping -
3. Put on Jack Mode and turn off the ignition. Wait for a few minutes - Whichever side is lowered, it's the leaky one - For me, I would spray the soapy water to confirm since I always want to be sure. Order a $200 one on Ebay, replace it and all good.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
The first instinct is always right, but now, you should follow my video to find the problem, it's not hard. You can do it without the Shop. You can't drive any car for $3k this nice - but if you don't do work yourself - let it go.
1. Start the car or charge the car.
2. Put on Lift Mode - You should hear the pump pumping - When the car raised up max and the pump stops pumping -
3. Put on Jack Mode and turn off the ignition. Wait for a few minutes - Whichever side is lowered, it's the leaky one - For me, I would spray the soapy water to confirm since I always want to be sure. Order a $200 one on Ebay, replace it and all good.

Cheers,
Louis
Unable to get into lift mode as all options are greyed out except for dynamic

but will follow your lead and do the soap test

thanks!

Quick Reply: It's my turn... low rider