A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless\proximity sensor ,and timekeeping question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless\proximity sensor ,and timekeeping question

Hi guys I have a 2007 S8 with all the options and my car has never unlocked when I walk up close to it like it's supposed do with the key in my pocket I was told that it's possible because somebody used or I should say the last owner installed a cheesy battery and it's not coded properly to the vehicle , or is that the battery voltage is lower than it should be and cuts those options out which is normal but after driving the car for 2 1/2 hours the car should be fully charged in the battery should be perfect and this problem still persists ? Any ideas , also my vehicle has a problem with keeping the time almost every day I have to get in the vehicle and reset the time and date .
Old 01-29-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It could be the battery is bad or something is not shutting off properly and is draining the battery at night..
1st test the battery.
Fully charge the battery and then see if the keyless works etc.
Then go from there to explore other possibilities
Old 01-29-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by ebtahi98
Hi guys I have a 2007 S8 with all the options and my car has never unlocked when I walk up close to it like it's supposed do with the key in my pocket I was told that it's possible because somebody used or I should say the last owner installed a cheesy battery and it's not coded properly to the vehicle , or is that the battery voltage is lower than it should be and cuts those options out which is normal but after driving the car for 2 1/2 hours the car should be fully charged in the battery should be perfect and this problem still persists ? Any ideas , also my vehicle has a problem with keeping the time almost every day I have to get in the vehicle and reset the time and date .
Last sentence points to failing battery. If you scan it with VCDS, a guess is there will be about a zillion low power codes which will be suggesting the same thing. Keyless entry is one of the first things the power management system that the car has cuts off, so it is also a subtle clue often of a crappy main battery.

I have had a failing battery lose its ability to start the car even after being on the charger until ready, driving only a mile and trying to start as little as 30 minutes later.

Other simple idea if it is actually only keyless entry and not the main battery is to be sure the car key is not in same pants pocket as your cell phone. They don't get along well together and need to be sent to their own rooms/pockets.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-30-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One small point. Mine does not unlock based on proximity- only when I put my hand under the handle does it unlock. I believe this is how they are supposed to operate.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc_A8
One small point. Mine does not unlock based on proximity- only when I put my hand under the handle does it unlock. I believe this is how they are supposed to operate.
What Doc says...

The keyless entry does indeed work only when your fingers are under the door handle, if you have to pull on the handle to unlock it and then pull again to open then the proximity sensor in the door handle is faulty.

Faulty door handles can keep the car awake and flatten the car battery so its worthwhile in my experience keeping on top of door handles and replace them if they are not working as per design.