A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane change and departure assistant retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lane change and departure assistant retrofit

So i got pisst' of that my car doesn't have these systems, and now wondering what i shoud get to have them installed.

I'll start this thread to be useful for everyone who is as mindscrewed as me, and wants to do this.

The first question is, what are these useful for?

And the second, does my adaptive cruise control turn into a system that goes down to ZERO speed, or is it still stuck at 30km/h or 20mph?

I've understood that i need at least the diagnosegateway with e-can support that the ACC already uses, but which revision is required, i have an F rev now. A list of what these diag-gateway different revisions are good for would be V-E-R-Y- -N-I-C-E
Tried to find a list, but haven't still succeeded.

I own a hw. rev A that was installed in my 2006my, my friend has a revB installed in his 2005my with ACC, and i currently have a rev F from an ACC car. I know there are rev E that isn't good for AAC, and rev G and H that are good for AAC, but i don't know which is needed for AAC+LDA and so on...

AND THE IMPORTANT QUESTION, CAN I DO A SW UPGRADE for the diag gateway to enable all the needed ****ta...?
My gateway mmi sw. currently lists LDA and RVC as options to install, so is that enough, or do i need a HW upgrade too for my F HW. rev?

Here's a list, but i don't fully understand the hebrew they have written about nr.15 in this list, aka the diag.gateway
http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sho...rchString=diag

Also, what is the difference between the camera and master+slave unit revisions for the LD, I haven't figured that out...

Then i also need the camera for the windshield, and master+slave units in the trunk, and wiring harnesses.

4E0 907 217 camera
4L0 907 568 slave
4L0 907 566 master

Oh, and of course i need the LDA button below the driver's side middle vent, between the park-aid and rear-sunblind, a new windscreen with mounts for the camera, and a plastic cover for it. And new facelift sidemirrors with LDA leds... **** this will be expensive

Here's a link
http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sho...category=21736

Last edited by volvopentaman; 01-02-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Should've just bought an 08 with the feature lol

Sounds like $3k+ of components plus headaches of wiring, installing, and loads of time.

Good luck, please keep the thread going if you end up doing it. I haven't heard of one person even attempting this retrofit. I know the member banglera spoke to me about it when I was vacationing in Cali and he took me around in his W12.

Don't have the feature in my 07, if mine were a MY 08 it would for sure as I have every other option. Would like it, but only granted it doesn't interfere with my radar detector, and I heard a few of them do go off by the feature; mainly the valentine V1.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Should've just bought an 08 with the feature lol

Sounds like $3k+ of components plus headaches of wiring, installing, and loads of time.

Good luck, please keep the thread going if you end up doing it. I haven't heard of one person even attempting this retrofit. I know the member banglera spoke to me about it when I was vacationing in Cali and he took me around in his W12.

Don't have the feature in my 07, if mine were a MY 08 it would for sure as I have every other option. Would like it, but only granted it doesn't interfere with my radar detector, and I heard a few of them do go off by the feature; mainly the valentine V1.
Haven't really got 120k euros to put on a car, the 40k the 2006 w12 put me already near bankrupcy (hopefully you know that we pay about 3x more for cars here in Finland, than you in the US), a new w12 will set you back 250k+ here, so that's why i didn't have the money to buy a 2008. Cheapest 2008 when i bought mine was around 80.000euros, yes, an used one, i know you can buy a new one there for less.

No near 3000euros, I'm not that stupid to buy new stuff, when you can order all stuff from germany for next week for candy-money. Camera+slave+master ECUs 100euros a piece, some cables, free for me, a couple connetors for a few ten euros, the button maybe new for a few tens, and the mirrors... well they'll cost a lot as new, but you can find D4 mirrors for 250e a piece with LDA leds. Ebay.de is the place for a german car enthusiast.

Radar detectors are illegal here in Finland, and you'll get a big fine plus loose your detector if the police spots one of those with their radar, yes they have a radar-detector-detector in their radars here, my friend lost his, and some money too
Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ACC will only work down to lower speeds with the newer ACC system, which I believe is only possible with the D4. As for the side assist, I looked at adding this, since you can buy the 2 sensors for the rear bumper for around 80 euro each. The tough part is changing the mirrors though. I couldnt see spending the money for new mirrors, or buying used ones, which are still expensive and getting them painted. As for the lane assist, this would require the camera and a new windshield, which can be obtained without too much trouble. But after reading about it, I decided that spending $1000 to have a steering wheel that vibrates is kinda pointless. The system on the D4 is much better, since it can change the steering resistance as you drift from the center of the lane.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have factory fitted lane assist and swop the steering wheel from 4 to 3 spoke. Would you loose the vibration function? Or is that located in the steering column ??
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

What do you want lane assist for? To help keep you in lane whilst you're texting or something??

My opinion on such stupid over the top systems is that if you need them, then you shouldn't even be driving.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I just got a few back up sensors... Haven't tried it yet

Lane assist is for changing lane mostly from left to right (or right to left wherever you may be) where we have the blind spot which I and my wife think it's good to have in case we didn't pay attention (seldom - but one save would worth the cost of one).
It should be a simple circuit like most of the new inexpensive cars now offer.
I think we need 2 sensors, rear bumper and middle of the car. Turn on the sensors when the signal lever is activated - sensors will send the signal to a buzzer or light inside the car.
Now, some new cars have leds on the side view mirrors blink when a car is next to you regardless of the turn signal is on, but no buzzers because it will annoy the heck out of you.
After I'm done with the giant deck (composite) retrofit, I'll test this out.
I don't really want anything steering my car (electronically) while I'm driving (I'm old fashion and don't trust anything but me or may be my wife).

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would prefer 2008 larger side mirrors. I really like them on my F-150.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
What do you want lane assist for? To help keep you in lane whilst you're texting or something??

My opinion on such stupid over the top systems is that if you need them, then you shouldn't even be driving.
I can understand its hard to just answer the question i asked so ill anwer yours first

Lane Assist is an option that came with my car, so im thinking ahead and IF i where to sell the car someday that it is nice to know if that option would still work IF swaped with an 3-spoke steering.

If that dosn't work then i have to save the 4-spoke steering and reinstall that if new owner wants the heating and lane assist option.

So will it work or not?

Regards
Kenneth
Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

A while ago I had the same question.... Reply from dealer was:

3-spoke steering wheel is incompatible with lane change assistant (indication on the mirrors) and a warning after leaving the lane.

Quick Reply: Lane change and departure assistant retrofit