A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose TB after tb job

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default loose TB after tb job

So in December me and a friend mine reputable tech at vw did the tb job on my 06 a8 . We use the continental kit from worldpac all the rollers are made by ntn oem brand. I've been noticing a slight whining noise since the job but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I took off the belt cover today to my suprise the belt is loose and having too much play on it.

At this point I staring trouble shooting different things. I notice that when you start the car and turn it back off the belt is firm then after a few minutes that's when it gets a lot of play in it so I'm thinking it a the dampner . Any other suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello.

Just a thought, did you adjust item "A" properly when installing belt ?

Johnny J J
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Hello.

Johnny J J
Good question honestly I would assume he did we did this in December but that noise has been there since we change the tb etc. Anything he was suppose to do special? Like I said guy work at vw and friend of mine I would hope he did it correctly
Old 06-20-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Hello.

Johnny J J
And, did you change the hydraulic dampener "B" or maybe "cheat" (BTDT...) and not pull the crank pulley to get at it and get it out of there? Also, did you do the specific procedure to tensioning setting where you have that dampener locked off with the pin and then use the gap gauge as part of setting tension per Johnny's post? (I just use the right sized metric allen wrench as the gauge). Likewise that can be hard to get to and not just "guess it" depending on how you approach/avoid the crank pulley pull.

From your response to Johnny's post, sounds like you need to go back to the guy and ask him what his procedure is. Look on your invoice and see if part A or B were even changed. They are somewhat pricier than other parts so I would not be so sure. Also, not convinced NTN is OES. I put one of their tensioners in my A6 4.2, and later pulled it and threw in garage can when I could see visually it wasn't really square to the front of the block and thus the belt. Got one from dealer at that point.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-20-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
And, did you change the hydraulic dampener "B" or maybe "cheat" (BTDT...) and not pull the crank pulley to get at it and get it out of there? Also, did you do the specific procedure to tensioning setting where you have that dampener locked off with the pin and then use the gap gauge as part of setting tension per Johnny's post? (I just use the right sized metric allen wrench as the gauge). Likewise that can be hard to get to and not just "guess it" depending on how you approach/avoid the crank pulley pull.

From your response to Johnny's post, sounds like you need to go back to the guy and ask him what his procedure is. Look on your invoice and see if part A or B were even changed. They are somewhat pricier than other parts so I would not be so sure. Also, not convinced NTN is OES. I put one of their tensioners in my A6 4.2, and later pulled it and threw in garage can when I could see visually it wasn't really square to the front of the block and thus the belt. Got one from dealer at that point.
Hydraulic dampner was changed as well it was the complete tb job I'm thinking maybe that dampner is bad. The belt is so loose that it's feels as if it's not touching the water pump....also like mentioned earlier right after you turn the car off the belt tension is good then after a few seconds of touching the belt it loses its tension
Old 06-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamm220
. Anything he was suppose to do special?
Yes there is, and check with your friend as MP stated as to parts replaced, also the piece I am referring to has a offset cam adjustment to take up slack in the belt before the tensioner come into play, as MP questioned "Also, did you do the specific procedure to tensioning setting where you have that dampener locked off with the pin and then use the gap gauge as part of setting tension per Johnny's post", as shown in the illustration the locking pin keeps hydraulic tensioner out of play while you tension the belt with offset idler.

Johnny J J
Attached Images   

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 06-20-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes there is, and check with your friend as MP stated as to parts replaced, also the piece I am referring to has a offset cam adjustment to take up slack in the belt before the tensioner come into play, as MP questioned "Also, did you do the specific procedure to tensioning setting where you have that dampener locked off with the pin and then use the gap gauge as part of setting tension per Johnny's post", as shown in the illustration the locking pin keeps hydraulic tensioner out of play while you tension the belt with offset idler.

Johnny J J
So what would possibly cause the tension to be good once it car is off but within a few seconds after the belt lose tension

Last edited by jamm220; 06-20-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

So in December me and a friend mine reputable tech at vw did the tb job on my 06 a8 . We use the continental kit from worldpac all the rollers are made by ntn oem brand. I've been noticing a slight whining noise since the job but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I took off the belt cover today to my suprise the belt is loose and having too much play on it.

At this point I staring trouble shooting different things. I notice that when you start the car and turn it back off the belt is firm then after a few minutes that's when it gets a lot of play in it so I'm thinking it a the dampner . Any other suggestions?
Timing belt is always loose some time after turning engine off. Wining sound is probably caused by new belt running on old pulleys.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

So what would possibly cause the tension to be good once it car is off but within a few seconds after the belt lose tension
One of the camshafts can sometimes move slightly after the engine is stopped thanks to the valve springs pushing on the lifters. This can cause the belt to be loose at some points and tight at others. Now, if the belt is loose everywhere, might want to stop using the vehicle and get the problem corrected.

Also, I recall reading that NTN is not OEM quality. However, I could be mistaken.

After buying a kit of parts from the "blue" company which turned out to be junk (others have posted about issues with their so-called quality as well) I will only go with parts in a VW/Audi box that I personally pick up from an Audi dealer. I do not recall an NTN logo on any of the parts I bought from a dealer for my last job. I do know that the "blue" set of junk parts included some items in NTN boxes. I believe the hydraulic tensioner and at least one of the rollers. BUYER BEWARE Especially on safety related or critical, possible engine destroying components such as the timing belt and associated rollers and tensioning components.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 06-20-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Mister Bally;24698018]One of the camshafts can sometimes move slightly after the engine is stopped thanks to the valve springs pushing on the lifters. This can cause the belt to be loose at some points and tight at others. Now, if the belt is loose everywhere, might want to stop using the vehicle and get the problem corrected.

Also, I recall reading that NTN is not OEM quality. However, I could be mistaken.

After buying a kit of parts from the "blue" company which turned out to be junk (others have posted about issues with their so-called quality as well) I will only go with parts in a VW/Audi box that I personally pick up from an Audi dealer. I do not recall an NTN logo on any of the parts I bought from a dealer for my last job. I do know that the "blue" set of junk parts included some items in NTN boxes. I believe the hydraulic tensioner and at least one of the rollers. BUYER BEWARE Especially on safety related or critical, possible engine destroying components such as the timing belt and associated rollers and tensioning components.[/eeQUOTE]

Ok this makes sense like I said the only reason I notice it is because have the covers off. and to clarify what I meant. The belt is not loose all the way around. It's tight just off shutting the engine down. Once I start feeling on the belt and put a lil pressure on it just checking the tension it get a loose only between the two cams (runs under the water pump). Everywhere else on the belt is tight ....base on your explaination this could be normal?

Quick Reply: loose TB after tb job