A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI diplay gears....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default MMI diplay gears....

I know this has been covered before but it seems quite a while since the last post so I am hoping there are new developments.

My display has started sticking just before it is fully up so I guess I need new gears.

Is there a parts kit avaiable other than a complete new mechanism?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edd W
I know this has been covered before but it seems quite a while since the last post so I am hoping there are new developments.

My display has started sticking just before it is fully up so I guess I need new gears.

Is there a parts kit avaiable other than a complete new mechanism?
Yep! Go to eBay and search Audi MMI and you will find 2 Sellers. One will sell you the DIY Plastic Replacement Gears around $80 or less and another Seller will Replace your Plastic Gears with Metal Gears, but you have to Remove Gear Bracket and ship to them for about $180 including Shipping both ways if I'm correct. Good luck! Laters,
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this on ebay last week. Don't know if they work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...item2c54f6ac74
Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FTO1978
I saw this on ebay last week. Don't know if they work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...item2c54f6ac74
I can't say one way or the other, but from what I understand, they are the same size and material of the Gears that have been Chewed up. If money is an issue, then I would say go for the Quick Fix, but know that it will eventually happen again over time. However, if you plan on selling the car then it would be the next owner's problem. If money's no object then the Dealership can fix it or maybe you're under waranty, but again this will eventually happen down the road again for you or the next owner. Me, myself & I would take the Metal Gear Replacement route which should last the Lifetime of the Car. Laters,
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does someone sell a kit of the correct metal gears?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
Does someone sell a kit of the correct metal gears?
I've never seen any that I know of. Just the Seller on eBay who needs your Bracket to make the Metal Gear Replacement. Laters,
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just joined the broken gear club.

Again I have to say that some Audi engineers should be fired. In order to take MMI Display out one have to take apart almost everything on dashboard. All wood trims, vents and so on and so on. Why? Well, wood trims chassis and MMI display are connected by two bolts holding nothing else and some moron decided that wood trims chassis should come on top. Because of that everything has to come off before display. Wood trims are not going to burn, brake gears or loose pixels. There is no need to take them out ever. On the other hand display can do all that but it is still burred deep. The last drop is unplugging the thing. One cable goes to the left and to unplug it instructions says take out trim under the dash on driver's side, but no luck there. The other goes to the right and to unplug it glove compartment has to come out.

How it should be designed: long silverish trim with buttons out (it is on just few clips), two bolts connecting display and surrounding wood trim chassis out, display out, unplug a harness on display and that's it. 10 minutes in AutoCAD, or more likely CATIA, some brains and not a penny more in production would make maintenance ten times easier.

Sorry for grumpy complains, but after half a day trying not to brake anything I have to say it.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member of the Broken Gear Club - very exclusive

I am a new member of the broken gear club as well. Mishar - did you purchase the metal gear replacement? I noticed you had some time removing the assembly. Did you get the instructions from the guy selling the metal gears on ebay? In his description he indicates it takes about an hour and if fairly straight forward. This seems counter to your experience and you seem to have some aptitude for this. I am a little concerned what I would be getting into. If the instructions are good - I can be patient and work through it but maybe I would be better off with the plastic gears if they are easier - knowing I might be doing it again.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tjscanlon
I am a new member of the broken gear club as well. Mishar - did you purchase the metal gear replacement? I noticed you had some time removing the assembly. Did you get the instructions from the guy selling the metal gears on ebay? In his description he indicates it takes about an hour and if fairly straight forward. This seems counter to your experience and you seem to have some aptitude for this. I am a little concerned what I would be getting into. If the instructions are good - I can be patient and work through it but maybe I would be better off with the plastic gears if they are easier - knowing I might be doing it again.

Thanks
I didn't purchase any gears. Just unplugged motor and fixed it in opened position for now. Instructions are from service manual and they are fairly good. It may take one hour if you are doing that for the second time. My problem is that I hate stupid designs and this is one of them. I gave up when I couldn't find where this thing is plugged and it has to be unplugged in order to put it on a table and repair it. If I decide to repair it I will go with metal gears. I read what plastic gear guy says about intentionally introducing brake point with plastic gears but I do not agree with him.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went for the metal gears, they will at least last the life of the unit. They are kind of a pain to put in, as you have to make sure the screen is in correct alignment. It is worth having someone put them in for you. If you unplug the wire harness that is attached to the frame that is used for the limit switches(make sure to take pictures so you remember how to put it back), you can easily remove the unit for servicing. Plan on 1 hour to get it out, an hour to fix it and an hour to put it back. If someone want see my attempt at fixing this please PM me. I also have instructions if anyone is interested.

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 09-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: MMI diplay gears....