A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI firmware updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI firmware updates

I recently purchased a 2005 Audi A8. base model. The MMI 2G has never been updated. The firmware version is currently 06.0.0. From what I can tell there are four firmware updates needed to bring my firmware up to date.

I am interested in doing these updates so that I can try to install a Mobridge M2 Connect MOST controller to allow me to have a Bluetooth connection for my apple iPhone 7+.

Does anyone know a reasonable safe why to get, and do those updates without paying the dealer $600 to do them? Are there bootleg disks or downloads that would give me those updates? And, is it possible to perform those updates without a huge risk of a complete MMI system failure?

bud
Old 04-18-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, bootleg discs are available but they greatly increase the risk of turning your MMI into a useless brick. Best to get legitimate discs. The procedure on how to do it is very well documented elsewhere on the forums, probably dozens of times over, do a search and pick one of the many you best understand to follow! You will need a battery charger and the green menu unlocked in your car, which if that menu is not unlocked, you need something like Rosstech's HEX-CAN cable so you can unlock it with your laptop.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Well, bootleg discs are available but they greatly increase the risk of turning your MMI into a useless brick. Best to get legitimate discs. The procedure on how to do it is very well documented elsewhere on the forums, probably dozens of times over, do a search and pick one of the many you best understand to follow! You will need a battery charger and the green menu unlocked in your car, which if that menu is not unlocked, you need something like Rosstech's HEX-CAN cable so you can unlock it with your laptop.
+1. The legit disks are in the $25-50 range from a discounted dealer. Last I heard, you can now only get the most current version from the dealer (North America 4610). Search forum for lots of posts on whole subject as Jack suggested.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
+1. The legit disks are in the $25-50 range from a discounted dealer. Last I heard, you can now only get the most current version from the dealer (North America 4610). Search forum for lots of posts on whole subject as Jack suggested.
+1
Old 04-18-2018, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got THIS kit on eBay and it worked great. It was only 30 bucks or so. Very detailed printed instructions and the guy even gave me his phone number If I had any problems.

Just make sure you follow the instructions VERY carefully and you should be good! Super easy
Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BEFORE YOU UPGRADE MMI - According to Audi documentation (for 4140, which was an intermediary after 3360 and 3360 was required for upgrades to 4140 from earlier versions, but 4610 is stand-alone):

"A8 MY2004/05 and A6 MY2005 with Navigation require at least Navigation DVD Version 5. If an older Version (1 or 4) is installed, the customer must purchase the package
MMI System Update + Navigation DVD Version 2007.
If Version 5, 6, 2007 is installed, the vehicle only requires an MMI System Update."

So, I'd imagine you need at least the version 5 or above.

AKA: Before you upgrade your MMI to 4610, make sure you have a newer navigation disc loaded and installed. If the MMI is still the original stock version 0600, there's a good chance the navigation hasn't been updated either.

I have a 2004 A8L and had a 2011 navigation disc inserted, along with a MMI upgrade from 0600 to 1070 (I am actually, as we speak, wrestling with upgrading to 4610). I purchased the latest / greatest / and last produced navigation disc for the model, the 2016 North American disc, from eBay for $12. I would've probably been okay with the 2011 for MMI, but I wanted the maps with the latest streets and addresses updated as recently as possible. For $12, it's a no brainer, especially since the navigation computer system is linked with MMI in some way.

To access the navigation disc to determine if you have a later version (although you can also view the navigation version from the MMI computer screen, but I'm not sure what all information it displays):

Open your trunk and take a flat-head screw driver and open the panel on the left, right behind the little side cargo net; it's in the front of your trunk (closest to you when you open it). You'll see the radio, harnesses, and the navigation computer and disc loader. Eject the navigation disc and look at which version it is. It'll say the year of the maps. If its recent, you're probably okay. But you should get the latest one. You could download and burn it, but I'd suggest buying it from a reputable dealer. The same is true about the MMI discs - for the $30 they cost from a seller, it saves you from the off-chance that something may go awry with home-burned discs whether they're poor quality or you forgot to verify the checksum of the disc after burning and something was wrong. A single incorrect bit could indeed brick your unit.

If you can't eject your navigation disc it's because an anti-theft value is set in the computer. As far as I know you cannot access this from the MMI control screen (even in the hidden menu? Correct me if I'm wrong here guys), and require you to use a Vag-Com to change the anti-theft value in the Navigation computer module. If you bought this car and are doing MMI upgrades, then you certainly want to invest in a Rosstech Vag-Com with VCDS although I believe there is a competitor out now called obdEleven.

NOW, as for doing the upgrade - in my model 2004 A8L, with the 0600-to-1070 upgrade already complete, following all the instructions I've found in the forums and such did not go as expected. Read my post about the upgrade in my other post.
​​