A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Screen Gear Tooth Broken - Can you get this part separately?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to the ebay listing to get the plastic replacement gears.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190404013172
Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default plastic MMI gear

Originally Posted by theanimala
Again, this guy is a scam, stick with metal gears rather than listening to some clown hawk his crap on a forum.
Has anyone actually installed the plastic gears and if so, would you please share you experience.

Thank

Aru
Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hi, new to the forum and am having the same issue with the mmi screen sticking and making a clicking noise. I have tried searching but cant seem to find any help on how to remove the dashboard to get to the screen. Not brave enough to start destroying without a bit of an insight. Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by theanimala
Again, this guy is a scam, stick with metal gears rather than listening to some clown hawk his crap on a forum.
scam? wtf? that is a bit offensive. I hardly think I would be using my own name as my handle and using my ebay account that i have had for years to scam people out of a few bucks for gears. think what you like i guess. email me at jrstokka@gmail.com and i'll be glad to provide anyone personal contact info and we can speak directly.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATTENTIONS ALL USERS!

All Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 07-16-2010, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default plastic MMI gear

Same problem here just started on a 2005 A8. Did anyone ever figure if there was a way to lock the screen in the open position (at least until I can get the parts for the fix). Or even keep it closed but have the radio still on. Mine seems to open every time I start the car even if I closed it prior to shutting off.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tone81
Same problem here just started on a 2005 A8. Did anyone ever figure if there was a way to lock the screen in the open position (at least until I can get the parts for the fix). Or even keep it closed but have the radio still on. Mine seems to open every time I start the car even if I closed it prior to shutting off.
You can remove the dash face and get inside the unit. Unplug the actuator motor and use the little string (pull it to release the motor gears, it takes a bit of effort, more than you think, but don't yank and break the string) to the right bottom corner of the unit to keep the screen in an open position till you have time to order gears and get it fixed. I have a link on this thread to order the plastic replacements on ebay.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by d4ngerous
hi, new to the forum and am having the same issue with the mmi screen sticking and making a clicking noise. I have tried searching but cant seem to find any help on how to remove the dashboard to get to the screen. Not brave enough to start destroying without a bit of an insight. Any help will be much appreciated.
alldata has a pretty good instruction set on their website. basically there are a couple tricks to removing the mmi unit. There is a trim piece under the dash cover. It "pops" off with a little even pry pressure. Audi makes a special plastic pry tool but you can use a panel popper or big standard screwdriver.... just be careful not to damage the plastic. Underneath there are torx screws that hold the dash cover in place.

The real trick is the air vent outlets. If you look closely under the bottom fin there are two unside down v-shaped wires. They look like this...

_______/\______________________/\______

at the bottom of the unit. I put two "hooks" in these and apply even upward pressure. They are sort of spring loaded and connected to metal "latches" under the vent that hold it in place. Once you lift the latches above their catches, the vent will simply slide right out. Be careful putting it back in as the Audi has some automated vent door operations and the control pins at the top need to line up or the car can't open/close the vents automatically anymore.

Quick Reply: MMI Screen Gear Tooth Broken - Can you get this part separately?