A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

near (freak) disaster with my 'new' W12......

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default near (freak) disaster with my 'new' W12......

Recently I had to take my pristine 2006 W12 to the indy shop to get the valve on the AC condenser changed. They finished the job on a Friday just before they closed, but they close at 2 on Fridays and I was not able to pick the car up, so it was inside the garage for the week end.

I live in an apt and have no garage, so I always have to sweat when the Midwest (KC) summer storms come with their potential for damaging hail. And when the big storm came that Saturday night I remember sitting at dinner in the restaurant thinking 'at least this is one storm I don't have to worry about'.

Wrong ! I did not know what was going on at that very moment. There is a 1930's 2 story apartment bldg. 2 blocks from the indy shop that had some major damage from a storm 3 months ago but they had never replaced the roof; they just put lots of 4X8 sheets of pressed wood and 2X4s with tarps on the roof. So on that Saturday when my W12 was in the shop a big straight line wind came along and blew the roof off of the apt bldg and carried it two blocks and dropped all that debris onto the parking lot at the shop.

And when the debris landed the inertia carried all the lumber across the parking lot and through the garage doors, peeling back the lower section of all doors as the debris entered. But I was lucky and fate was on my side....After he had put the wheels back on the tech had left without putting my car back on the ground so it was still a bit off the floor. So instead of the garage door hitting the rear of my car with the full force of hundreds of pounds of debris behind it, everything went under my car ! Mostly.

As you can see I did get a gouge in my bumper, probably from the handle mechanism on the middle of the garage door when it was lifted. But the damage is easily repairable and is below the groove, so blending paint will be easier. Their ins gave me $2800 and it will only cost a couple hundred to fix, which is good, but it could have been bad...the A6 in the stall next to me had the deck lid, bumper, and both quarters heavily damaged. On the other side of me a VW got damaged in the back end and the force pushed it further into the shop until it hit one of the techs big Snap-On tool chest.

I would much rather have un-repaired quarters and deck lid on my W12, so I am VERY glad to have escaped with such relatively minor damage. Sometimes you get lucky.
Attached Thumbnails near (freak) disaster with my 'new' W12......-img_0761.jpg   near (freak) disaster with my 'new' W12......-img_0774.jpg   near (freak) disaster with my 'new' W12......-img_0747.jpg   near (freak) disaster with my 'new' W12......-p1020046.jpg   near (freak) disaster with my 'new' W12......-p1020047.jpg  

Last edited by awdinut; 08-15-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Holy crap !!!

And let me rotate the pics for you...

Attached Images