A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Donuts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default New Donuts!

That's 19" tires. My "summer" Michelin Pilot Sport A/Splus tires hit the end of their useful life. One went flat with a slow leak a couple of weeks ago so I put the spare on hoping to limp it for another month and then put the Winter set on and deal with new tires in the Spring. Another tire developed a leak last night on my way to the gym. The tread was hitting the wear indicators so it was time and the leaks would be considered unrepairable due to the shallow tread.

Bought four new Michelin Pilot Spot A/Splus tires again. Only difference is the new ones have a wear rating of 500 versus the old ones had a 400 rating. Had the last set for almost six years and I put 54092 miles on them. I use Michelin Xice tires in the winter so they have 35000 miles on themselves so far.

Funny thing is the invoice has the exact same price per tire six years later. I bought the first set at Tire Rack. This time a local store gave me a sweetheart discount and I get the Michelin $70 rebate bringing my total price per tire almost $40 lower than six years ago. Not bad when you CONsider how much food has gone up in price and savings rates of return are practically at zero these days.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually it may be very good. Statistics show that tires installed around this time of a year last longer than ones installed before summer. Explanation is that run in under colder temperatures is better for tires.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, they will only be on for a month or two. Once word of a heavy snowfall comes out, the Xice tires go on the car. Hopefully right after Christmas.

I forgot to mention, there is virtually NOTHING like a new set of tires on a car. It makes the car seem brand new. Especially when you run the old ones to the very end like I do.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Good choice...

My non-summer set here in sunnier CA until I convert some older wheels to dedicated snows. I got a set when the new A/S style came out with the higher load rating and revised compounds, also on a rebate deal and free shipping. As quiet as my summer PS2's even when they were newer.

Agreed on the joy of new tires too! Running the last bit of usable rubber off those PS2 summers before the rainy (+Tahoe) season changeover; low 30K of miles on those so far. Having run them, I think the summer Dunlop Sport Maxx's (where I started) or the Michelin A/S's probably win on the fun and $ per mile fronts.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ugh, Two of my four new tires developed bulges on the curb side of the car. I put 4600 miles on them in the past six weeks (three Detroit-Chicago runs and a Cincinnati trip) will do it).

Tire dealer at the store where I bought them (plus about $10k in tires over the past 25 years) said "Looks like a big pothole did it". Sorry, you have to buy two new tires (at regular club prices-quoting Columbia House). I politely left and went to another store close to home (versus the one across the street from where I work).

A much more understanding assistant manager said; looks like pothole damage and not a manufacturing defect. But, I really like your car and I see you buy an awful lot of ties from us. How about $19.99 each to mount and we'll warrant 'em? A friend for life. The store where I bought them can now KMA as I will be using the other store from now on.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-24-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
... I will be using the other store from now on.
Have you marked those potholes in order not to use them from now on?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm...?

May want to go to the high end of the inflation range--bubble can happen w/ a sudden impact against an edge that pinches the sidewall against the rim and tears the tire internally. When I've had it over the years on a variety of cars and tires, commonly the tire pressure was at least somewhat low. Even here in the mild SF Bay Area I usually find summer to winter temp. drop means a several pound pressure touch up.

Meanwhile, sounds like a nice holiday present from store #2!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
May want to go to the high end of the inflation range
That would definitely help but it would hurt ride quality. That is not only about kidneys. It is also about rattles and suspension elements. If certain part of shock is not absorbed by tire it goes strait to suspension. Expensive one.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default NMGB...

Not My Grandpa's Buick.

Besides, we all know what high quality lifetime design upper control arms these things have in the suspension arena. You would think they might have learned after both the D2 run and the later C5's with the aluminum suspensions that maybe fitting A4 level designs wasn't the best idea on heavier models. But I guess "Art" in engineering signed off on it, as the Audi service guys used to joke. On of the car mags pointed out using the aluminum approach on the yet heavier and occasional offroad pretender Q7 was an even dimmer idea.

And while I joke some, but now having run my C5 UCA's to end of life at 125K miles, AFTER they were changed inside the warranty period, and having the same already changed on the D3 inside warranty and with the standing TSB we all know about but no particular design improvement, not a strong point anyway. Seems near universal when I read the older board posts. Thus, unfortunately just an ordinary wear part it seems in well under 100K; thus inflation pressures w/in manufacturer specs aren't my bigger worry. Haven't heard of any air shock issues that seem particularly related, and never heard of mushroomed strut towers or things like that on most anything Audi like might be found on a variety of other cars.

Meanwhile, back to Mr. Bally's OP, good for him on the replacement. And with winter temps here, good reminder I think to check tire pressures anyway regardless of the boy racer vs. grandpa Buick debate on where in the range you set it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-24-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Not My Grandpa's Buick.
No. Definitely not. Especially when we have to buy some parts. Upper arms, for example, not to mention springs.

Speaking about upper arms, I changed them (bushings) about eight months ago and since it got colder I am not sure if I am hearing well known sound again. It is very stressed rubber in there. It has to accommodate horizontal movement in turns and angular twisting with regular suspension work, from time to time going to all new neutral position when we change height. But art of engineering doesn't have to be on its best. Just few inches lower are the lower arms, way more stressed, newer making problems. I wouldn't be surprised if it was designed by a different department.

By the way, any changes at D4?

Back to the donuts, all 19' and especially 20' lowers should have additional tire warranty. 22' lowers should look for a different kind of help.

Quick Reply: New Donuts!