A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK.... what's the trick here.... upper control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK.... what's the trick here.... upper control arm bushings

Got the front arm out just fine... got to the rear arm... and well.... there's not enough clearance to get the bolt out..... I'm sure I could drop the strut assembly to gain some room, but there's gotta be a better way than that.....
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You can force it out bu unscrewing it. It is close. Than put it back from the other side.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure I can get it OUT.... it fits just fine coming in from the other side when I put it back together?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default On the A6 w/ same basic set up, I...

demo sawed the ones that got hung up. Seriously. Hack saw type blade to deal with the hardened bolts. Just had to be careful w/ blade throw not to run into something. Grinding wheel is same general idea but w/ out the blade throw issue; adjoining space can dictate one or the other.

Then I just put the offending bolts in the opposite way when necessary. Was one of the uppers and the lower rear.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
demo sawed the ones that got hung up. Seriously. Hack saw type blade to deal with the hardened bolts. Just had to be careful w/ blade throw not to run into something. Grinding wheel is same general idea but w/ out the blade throw issue; adjoining space can dictate one or the other.

Then I just put the offending bolts in the opposite way when necessary. Was one of the uppers and the lower rear.
I can certainly hack these out if need be, just wanted to verify that the bolts can be inserted the other way without issue....
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a link to how I removed mine with no cutting:

Ball joint tool thread
Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Then cut it with a grinder
Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't done mine yet on the A8, I have done them on the A4 however. Next time I will take out the entire assembly. It's not that hard to do (3 bolts top / 1 bottom)and makes the entire job a whole lot easier, especially when it comes to properly aligning the arms and torquing them correctly.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Aligning/torquing arms?

Originally Posted by tjf
I haven't done mine yet on the A8, I have done them on the A4 however. Next time I will take out the entire assembly. It's not that hard to do (3 bolts top / 1 bottom)and makes the entire job a whole lot easier, especially when it comes to properly aligning the arms and torquing them correctly.
Not sure I get the part about aligning the arms and torquing them correctly...

The control arms should all be tightened the final time with regular load on the suspension, That in turn means it basically needs to all be put together and either on the ground or up on a drive on lift. What I do in the home garage environment is assemble the whole thing with the wheel off and jacked up, but then loosen and retighten each arm fastening point that involves a bushing once the car is down and I figure out how to get in there with a wrench to each. If you tighten them without load, it will likely to lead to very premature bushing failure and then another replacement job.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Not sure I get the part about aligning the arms and torquing them correctly...

The control arms should all be tightened the final time with regular load on the suspension, That in turn means it basically needs to all be put together and either on the ground or up on a drive on lift. What I do in the home garage environment is assemble the whole thing with the wheel off and jacked up, but then loosen and retighten each arm fastening point that involves a bushing once the car is down and I figure out how to get in there with a wrench to each. If you tighten them without load, it will likely to lead to very premature bushing failure and then another replacement job.
On the A4, the proper procedure, per the Bentley manual, is to have a 1" gap between the top of the arms and the bottom ridge of the top frame, when tightening to the specified torque. I don't think I could even get my torque wrench up in there when it was all installed. I assume it is similar on the A8 as it's all the same design - except the air suspension.

Quick Reply: OK.... what's the trick here.... upper control arm bushings