A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opening up the W12 for a Coolant Sensor Need some Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opening up the W12 for a Coolant Sensor Need some Ideas

Got a 07 W12 that is getting opened up to change out the bad coolant sensor. If anyone has any ideas on what I should try to get done while the mech is in there let me know. Its not my dollar to replace the sensor but I wouldn't mind putting some of my money into some upgrades or preventative maintenance I appreciate the ideas and help.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Not enough info in general. But, you don't particularly "open it up"--nor particularly do on most any car for a water temp. sensor.

If mechanic proposes to remove motor and tranny--the "book approach--someone is being taken to the cleaners. Then you can do essentially any preventative maintenance you want. If they propose to do it way more cost effectively, quite different and very targeted approach and then specifics to consider of what else is accessed.

Search and you will find the experience. Plenty. But you need to do some work.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Magic
Got a 07 W12 that is getting opened up to change out the bad coolant sensor. If anyone has any ideas on what I should try to get done while the mech is in there let me know. Its not my dollar to replace the sensor but I wouldn't mind putting some of my money into some upgrades or preventative maintenance I appreciate the ideas and help.
Echoing MP response. If engines is coming out I can share that was done when did mine. If not coming out, nothing else to do.
Curious how it can be on someone else's dime?
Old 12-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carl viking
Curious how it can be on someone else's dime?
The dealer is paying for replacement.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Banned

Hello Black Magic,

Your message came over as a "Unapproved Visitor Message", not a PM, I am not sure why.

So, depending on the last servicing of plugs and coils, that is a call for you to make, you did not state the mileage on your vehicle, the coils cost me $17.25 EA, the plugs $9 EA, I also replaced some lines and a hose or two, all my parts were OEM from the Audi dealer.

See my thread on my service,
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2852419/page4/

ALSO as MP may have hit on what may be my problem of what appears to be the temp sensor again, BUT may in fact be the electric thermostat, you may want to look into that also as it is most likely original and 8 years old..

Your message below.

"This Message is Moderated

Johnny, I got a 07 W12 and the dealer I bought it from is going to pay to have the coolant sensor replaced. I was thinking of doing some upgrading or preventative maintenance while the mech was in there. Any thoughts on what could be done while they have the top pulled off. I saw what you did to yours and it got me thinking. Thanks"

Old 12-13-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default speaking as a non-W12 owner....

If the engine is coming out; replace all oxygen sensors with OEM parts. Also look carefully at any buried hoses and steel, but painted black piping, including in the engine bay but exposed with the engine and transmission removed. Any hints of rust; Replace.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
If the engine is coming out; replace all oxygen sensors with OEM parts. Also look carefully at any buried hoses and steel, but painted black piping, including in the engine bay but exposed with the engine and transmission removed. Any hints of rust; Replace.
The engine is not coming out, only the top removed as stated by the OP.

"Any thoughts on what could be done while they have the top pulled off"

So besides plugs, coils, hoses, plastic coolant lines, possible thermostat, and depending on mileage injector O-rings, and or both, injectors + O-rings, what else can anyone come up with ?

Old 12-13-2015, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah saw that JohnnyJ had pulled the top off and done some work. It has about 90K on the engine. The dealer said they replaced the thermostat on it. I was driving it the other day and it stayed on "C" the entire hour of my drive to work. Had a P2181 and after going over some threads here seems that its a coolant sensor. So its still under warranty and the dealer is going to replace the sensor. Looks like it can be done without dropping the engine; but being that I wasn't paying for the repair figured I might be able to "fix" some stuff while its being worked on.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
The engine is not coming out, only the top removed as stated by the OP.

"Any thoughts on what could be done while they have the top pulled off"

So besides plugs, coils, hoses, plastic coolant lines, possible thermostat, and depending on mileage injector O-rings, and or both, injectors + O-rings, what else can anyone come up with ?

Thanks for the clarification.

The original post says:

Opening up the W12 for a Coolant Sensor Need some Ideas
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
I didn't read anything about "top pulled off". Also the next post by MP 4.2 + 6.0 asks if the mechanic is "going by the book" and is removing the engine/transmission. Since the OP mention this is not on his dime, I figured that in the unlikely event of a W12 engine pull, it would be prudent to change all of the Oxygen sensors as a couple of them require an engine pull. Or a hole saw.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So driving it the last couple of days the line is back at 12 o'clock and seems like its working. Thinking the dealer is giving me the long one on this cause they are waiting till their 1000 miles powertrain runs out and its not their problem anymore. But at least it seems to be working now.
On another note the wife is not thrilled that it seems like the heated seats aren't working. Saw a couple of threads about it being in the engine compartment or something. Not sure if I got in over my head with this thing. Back when I had a 70 ram charger you could craw in the engine compartment and someone could shut the hood. Always something. Don't really want to pay the dealer to throw the diagnostic at it and pay the 85 bucks. Any thoughts on if I should just invest in the Ross Tech?

Quick Reply: Opening up the W12 for a Coolant Sensor Need some Ideas