A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted (plasti dip) my grille

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Painted (plasti dip) my grille

The only thing I don't like about my Daytona Gray 2008 S8 is the grille. I don't like all the chrome and I don't like the fact that it is gray rather than black. Black would contrast better with the Daytona Gray.
I found a number of threads on different Audi sites regarding painting with plasti dip so I decided to give it a try. I removed the front bumper and grille, and painted it.

I'll re-install tomorrow.
If I like it I'll keep it, if not then I am going with the LLTEK RS Grille. I spoke to Mark at LLTEK and told him what I had heard from other customers and wanted assurance that if there was damage or miss fitment they would take the grille back, no charge. I also said I would have it shipped straight to Chandler Audi who would do the install and he said that would not be necessary they would honor the product.
I then went to the Audi dealership and spoke to one of the shop coordinators regarding the LLTEK Grilles. He said that their shop had installed dozens of the LLTEK grilles and never had an issue. His opinion was that they were a quality product.

BEFORE AND AFTER:
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks way nicer, though I am biased, I plastidip'ed my grille and window trim (dont like faded fake chrome on a silver car).
I also gave it a light dusting of Plastidip Silver Metaliser to give it a bit more depth and made the Audi rings gunmetal plastidip to give some contrast (hard to see in the photo).
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Though it would have been a pain to tape off, i think it would look good if you left vertical bars silver and did the outer chrome and louvers black.

Can't wait for pics!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

i had horrible luck with plasti dip last weekend... then again.... it was 38 degrees outside...
Old 03-31-2015, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you tape off the parking sensors? They seem to match the the rest of the grill in the after photo (though, it's kind of hard to tell). I'm interested to see the finished result.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:32 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Albatrossboss
Did you tape off the parking sensors? They seem to match the the rest of the grill in the after photo (though, it's kind of hard to tell). I'm interested to see the finished result.
I did not tape off the parking sensors. I did a few more coats of paint this morning. I want to make sure its thick enough to withstand the rock chips etc its going to incur.
I think it looks pretty good. I'll post pics when I'm finished
Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TFT
I did not tape off the parking sensors. I did a few more coats of paint this morning. I want to make sure its thick enough to withstand the rock chips etc its going to incur.
I think it looks pretty good. I'll post pics when I'm finished
Are you worried about the plasti-dip blocking the parking sensor? I've noticed that ice, or even a slushy ice/rain mix can block the sensor and it gets that solid tone as if you are too close to something. On the plus side it is Plasti-dip so you could just cut it off of the sensor. Just curious if this would cause the same issue. It may not.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

The finished product. I have to say I am quite pleased.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking good. Much better than that gray.

Just an idea, it may look good if those two horizontal chrome lines are exposed. Just a little detail in that big flat area.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:06 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Looking good. Much better than that gray.

Just an idea, it may look good if those two horizontal chrome lines are exposed. Just a little detail in that big flat area.
I'm going to live with it like this a while and then see if I want to expose any of the chrome.

The color is pretty much an exact match to the fog lamp grilles.

Quick Reply: Painted (plasti dip) my grille