A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Left Light and Engine Hum

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Left Light and Engine Hum

Hello all,

I hope im not too needy by asking for help with this.

My rear left light when I bought the car would "short" out the moment i turned on the car, i'd have a brake light service image. I bought new tail lights, and the problem went away. Now it is coming back, and the same issue is occuring, only when I turn on my lights. The brake light actually works fine. it's the parking lights that seem to short out when I hit the brake light or turn signal intermidently. It's annoying i've been pulled over so many times by police so i just drive around with my rear fog lights on now because the parking lights will stay off while driving and police pull me over for my "brake light" being out when it actually works.

second, my engine has a weird hum that i've never heard before. i dont know what it could be. pcv? i get horrible gas mileage so maybe. i'm not sure. Here's a video i made to demonstrate as im not the best at explaining things in text.

I'd appreciate any possible help.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

You can unplug the rear side marker leds inside the lamp unit without any negative effects or error codes. I did that years ago after mine started to inexplicably flicker. No more problems. They’re only there because of DOT regs. Euro ones don’t have them. See if it that helps your situation.

That hum sounds like a bad PCV. Pull off the rear engine cover and put your thumb over the vent on the PCV (the approx 4” round thing), see if the sound alters. If so, you’ve found your culprit.

Also, try pressing down firmly on the inlet manifold. Some early cars, the manifold bolts weren’t tightened down enough from the factory and over time can loosen off. It makes a sound just like that as it’s leaking air. Easy fix, just tighten the manifold bolts down.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
You can unplug the rear side marker leds inside the lamp unit without any negative effects or error codes. I did that years ago after mine started to inexplicably flicker. No more problems. They’re only there because of DOT regs. Euro ones don’t have them. See if it that helps your situation.

That hum sounds like a bad PCV. Pull off the rear engine cover and put your thumb over the vent on the PCV (the approx 4” round thing), see if the sound alters. If so, you’ve found your culprit.

Also, try pressing down firmly on the inlet manifold. Some early cars, the manifold bolts weren’t tightened down enough from the factory and over time can loosen off. It makes a sound just like that as it’s leaking air. Easy fix, just tighten the manifold bolts down.
Thanks! The PCV valve is bad and covering it made it shush. Gonna buy a new one for $30 from partsgeek. I'll try to fix the lights tmrw at the shop and see if unplugging it works.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Divinityy
Thanks! The PCV valve is bad and covering it made it shush. Gonna buy a new one for $30 from partsgeek. I'll try to fix the lights tmrw at the shop and see if unplugging it works.

Just buy two. That $30 one won't last long lol
Old 08-08-2019, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2004A8L
Just buy two. That $30 one won't last long lol
Really? How come? Should I just buy a used one from a local junkyard???
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality quality, just buy OEM it's pricier. Might get lucky with a used one.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2004A8L
Quality quality, just buy OEM it's pricier. Might get lucky with a used one.
I replaced it with a used one from an A8 with 70k on it. Right off the bat I noticed it stopped the hum, but when It sucks in a lot of air. When I cover it, the engine shakes. It’s weird bc the other one didn’t do that. Idk a lot about these valves or much of audi tbh lol most my cars were cheap americans. Now i’m getting too lean codes. P0171 and P0174. Also p2187 Too lean at idle.