A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I spilled coffee on my MMI controls.. (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by haggisuk
They don't mearly re program the unit for it too work,
You were fortunate that the gateway you fitted didn't have CP
If cp were simply removed by reprogramming the options that you have access to in Vcds it would be possible in Vcds to remove cp
But as we have seen countless times with mmi updates activating cp on amps requiring a trip to the dealer.

Also if it was mearly a case of using vas to remove cp without connection to the mothership everyone and there dog would be buying clones and doing themselves.

And before one goes thinking a but that's a clone tool so it won't work that's been proven not to be the case either because if you have a clone tool the friendly chap at Poland or wherever using your cloned vas can use his geko login details or whatever the mothership is called and remove cp via Remote Desktop connection.

The only other tool I know of that can do cp removal is arbrites commander and it's a fortune to buy. And even then it needs a dump from other modules before it can do the required magic to remove cp from your replacement units
Abrites mainly clones the replacement as you usually have to get a read of the old unit
Vcds most definitely will not remove cp
Things like kessy can be cloned via a chip on the board
A couple other modules can be done like this
I don't know how the remove cp from Mmi head unit but they do as I have used one and I can say it does work
But basically for cp you have to connect to server in Germany
Old 06-22-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, after replacement of control head module, the MMI came back to life with VCDS indicating "component protection active" fault. The symptom was no sound with speaker icon crossed out. I booked appointment at dealer just to remove the component protection and everything is fully functional again.
I want to mention that the exchange control module that I received from Hi-tech electronics for $375 was P/N 4E0 035 729 Model BE 6346 and it was exact same model and P/N as original unit.
Big thank you to members on this thread for sharing your knowledge and getting me back on track.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Did the dealer charge for CP removal?

How long and how much did they charge?

Glad everything works out,

Louis
Old 06-22-2016, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They estimated 1-2 hrs and came up as 1.5 hrs (282 CAD) on the bill. The report says:

"Performed GFF scan diagnostics. Set basic setting adaptation of MMI system for components installed. Performed component protection test plan after online connection and confirmed J528 front control head was enabled successfully and sound was restored"

Pawel.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pawel S
They estimated 1-2 hrs and came up as 1.5 hrs (282 CAD) on the bill. The report says:

"Performed GFF scan diagnostics. Set basic setting adaptation of MMI system for components installed. Performed component protection test plan after online connection and confirmed J528 front control head was enabled successfully and sound was restored"

Pawel.
Takes about 10 minutes that includes plugging the car into the computer to connect to the mothership.
Probably took 1 hour to work out how to do it.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by storka
Takes about 10 minutes that includes plugging the car into the computer to connect to the mothership.
Probably took 1 hour to work out how to do it.
+1

Took half an hour to come with that sophisticated BS invoice.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
+1

Took half an hour to come with that sophisticated BS invoice.
I have had cp done twice online with Jack in Poland.
Once for MP3 CD player and once for the sds
Both times took him 30 to 45 minutes to download his software on to my laptop through my terribly slow internet connection and a couple of minutes to do the cp.