A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Struggling with intermittent parasitic draw..narrowed down

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Let €™s get back to beginning of time.
1. Since it €™s a factory unit, it must be connected BEFORE, all the time and it €™s been great?
2. When did this battery draining problem start?
3. At current condition, does battery drain with
A. Optical plugged with a loop?
B. Power connector unplugged with optical connector plugged in - no loop?
C. Optical plugged with a loop and power connector unplugged ?

We want to make sure the draining is NOT isolated to just TV tuner. I wasn €™t sure how you tested the optical from the TV tuner.
If you just unplugged the optical and left it opened, then none of the MMI components are turned on.
I €™ll check the power today when I get home.
Cheers,
Louis
1- Yes.
2- A few days after I picked up the car from a shop to replace a gasket and fix a leaky steering hose.
3- I don't have an optical loop cable. What I refer to in my previous post as the optical ring test is the one performed using VCDS cable under options menu. I did not disconnect any optical connector. I only disconnected power connectors from modules to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Old 10-29-2017, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I will have to remove the TV tuner and take a closer look at it.

I removed other fuses including removing CD player fuse and amp withdraw remained still. The only time the withdraw drops is when I remove the 10A fuse on the left bagg tray or if I unplug the 20-pin connector.

Amp withdraw when car is locked (door lamps blinking red) and in sleep mode with TV tuner 10A fuse is in (plugged).

Amp withdraw when car is locked and in sleep mode with TV tuner 10A fuse is OUT (removed).
Old 10-29-2017, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say that you have a bad tuner. Replace it with a known good one.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The.aviator2
I removed other fuses including removing CD player fuse and amp withdraw remained still. The only time the withdraw drops is when I remove the 10A fuse on the left bagg tray or if I unplug the 20-pin connector.

Amp withdraw when car is locked (door lamps blinking red) and in sleep mode with TV tuner 10A fuse is in (plugged).

Amp withdraw when car is locked and in sleep mode with TV tuner 10A fuse is OUT (removed).
That test is not 100% trustworthy unless you loop out the fibre with an adapter like i posted earlier.

The reason being is your most loop has no comms without the adapter so the car is not operating normally. do the same tests with an adapter to be 100% sure before you go buying another tuner.

Last edited by haggisuk; 10-29-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Ok, I tested the power line today.
-open the trunk
-close the latch
-the car was locked
-waited 20 minutes, came out measured all power lines 12.3V. All components were dead silence. OFF
So the optical bus shutdown the function, NOT the actual power lines are turned of when the car is dormant.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-29-2017, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is normal Louis. +12 volts is supplied to all of the MOST connected devices all the time. The OSB wakeup line is what wakes the device up and causes it to go to sleep.

Would you like for me to post the wiring schematics for the tuner? It shows that +12 is constantly applied.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Ok, I tested the power line today.
-open the trunk
-close the latch
-the car was locked
-waited 20 minutes, came out measured all power lines 12.3V. All components were dead silence. OFF
So the optical bus shutdown the function, NOT the actual power lines are turned of when the car is dormant.
Cheers,
Louis
Thank you for taking the time to confirm this. I will take a closer look at the TV tuner before I replace it. I haven't got my hands on the optical loop cable yet.

Does this price sound right or should I be skeptical?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A8-D3-...QAAOSw4CFYywbb

Thanks all,
Old 10-30-2017, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haggisuk
That test is not 100% trustworthy unless you loop out the fibre with an adapter like i posted earlier.

The reason being is your most loop has no comms without the adapter so the car is not operating normally. do the same tests with an adapter to be 100% sure before you go buying another tuner.
I agree a 100%.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

$40 is about the going rate for the analog tuner. It is what I paid for mine.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I’m still not convinced your tv tuner is the problem. What did you use the AV1 with? Is the AV1 functional? Did you bend any pins while plugging in the AV cable?
Cheers,
Louis

Quick Reply: Struggling with intermittent parasitic draw..narrowed down