A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Good for you for making this much "noise"!
I'd keep trying with Audi. They speak English at VWAG HQ and if that doesn't work take them to small claims court. You represent yourself, but they will want to hire an attorney - often they'll settle before trial simply because it's cheaper to pay you than to pay a lawyer AND risk having to pay you anyway if they lose!
Every tech knows the sound of failing UCA bushings; they wear out so predictably on these cars that they should be listed for replacement on the 100k mile maintenance . I very seriously doubt all these problems happened to manifest only after you got the car!
Well, good luck in any case, you'll love the car when it's "sorted".

_Tom
Old 09-13-2014, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default I skimmed this again. Another totally different idea: exhaust; others too...

From skimming it through, it seems like you pretty much worked through the obvious suspension oriented noise areas. Others that came to mind from years f Audi ownership and rattles (mostly in older ones) are:
1. Very loose tools in the trunk lid box, though probably not that loud inside car even if they were loose.
2. Loose/unbolted spare, object in spare well, loose stored jack, etc.
3. Maybe among the more likely remaining ones: a somewhat misaligned exhaust that is hitting something underneath. I've had that before on various Audis, most recently on my my C5 4.2 A6 after some other work was done. The S8/W12 exhaust is big in general and gets fairly close to things in various spots
4. Blown converter internally, which can set up a rattle yet still function. I don't think its common on modern designs, but I had it on my C3. Found it tapping lightly on the converter with a hammer. Since it still worked, I drilled a hole and drove a stainless steel screw into the side of it which stopped the rattle.
5. Overlapping #3, a variety of the heat shields underneath--in the center area by tranny, back toward the back around the two sides of the spare tire well, etc.
6. Loose or cracked brake rotor heat shield. Strum each of them with your finger a few times and see if you get either no noise, or some kind of rattle. Bend or reposition as needed.
7. Loose fasteners on belly pan, especially the rear ones. Plus, there is the secondary noise shield pan further back below the tranny area, and some brackets they attach to that which if loose could rattle too.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mishar, aTOMic*, and MP4.2+6.0. I appreciate all of the advice and will look into each of your possible solutions. Hopefully, I can get it figured out sooner than later. I'll post more information when I have.

Thanks again everyone,
Scott
Old 09-14-2014, 03:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's a bummer that dealer took advantage of you. Out of all the cars I have ever bought I have never had a dealer be 100% honest with me. When the car is labeled as "AS-IS" you really have to do your own diligence to make sure they are not screwing you. Did you get the car inspected by another garage?

Owning a 10 year old luxury car definitely takes a commitment. Definitely make sure the timing belt service has been performed. If not start there before you repair anything.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dan87951
It's a bummer that dealer took advantage of you. Out of all the cars I have ever bought I have never had a dealer be 100% honest with me. When the car is labeled as "AS-IS" you really have to do your own diligence to make sure they are not screwing you. Did you get the car inspected by another garage?

Owning a 10 year old luxury car definitely takes a commitment. Definitely make sure the timing belt service has been performed. If not start there before you repair anything.
Thanks Dan, It's a shame that dealers are this way, but you are right, most of them are. I actually took their word that the car was 100% because they are an Audi dealership and not some corner used car lot. I thought they had more integrity and I trusted the brand. This purchase was done online, out of state and I never had anyone else look at the car, if I was buying it anywhere else or from anyone else I would have had it brought into an Audi dealership to be inspected, so I figured I was in good hands and could trust them...big mistake.

Luckily, 07's don't have a timing belt so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. I know it's going to take some work and money to maintain a car such as this, and I also know that in return I can years of satisfaction and enjoyment if it is properly taken care of. Overall I did get the car at a great price, and am still a good amount under book value even after the repairs I have had done, that's a great thing. I just wish Audi Willoughby/Mentor would have been upfront with me, especially since they were aware that I had an 8 hour ride home from their lot. I guess that's just their business practice and I will make sure other potential buyers and monitoring agencies are aware of it.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

...am still a good amount under book value even after the repairs I have had done. ... I will make sure other potential buyers and monitoring agencies are aware of it.
These are your words, just a bit condensed. It sounds like a recommendation to me.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
These are your words, just a bit condensed. It sounds like a recommendation to me.
Any words or phrases taken out of context and spliced together can make whatever point the puzzle master is trying to prove LOL.

That being said, yes the price was good, about $4500 less than the original asking price, but I don't believe they intended on being upfront or forthright no matter what the price. That's what the buying public and proper monitoring agencies need to be made aware of. No one should be put in this situation, no matter what they are spending. It would definitely be considered a great deal if it was just that "a deal". That would have meant full disclosure regarding all issues equaling a price which was reflective of that information. I was sold a car that was presented to have absolutely zero issues. My mistake for taking an established Audi dealership for their word, a mistake that I can hopefully help others from making, even if it is only one person.

As always I appreciate all and any input,
Scott
Old 09-14-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sel126
...There is no squeaking or creaking, just a clunking sound. It almost sounds like something is loose, not as tight as it should be...
Here's the source of my clunking sound (no squeaking or creaking)... (the shiny silver tube should be, and was, in the big circular thing, surrounded by rubber; at that time it was called a bushing).
HTH,
Tom
Attached Images   
Old 09-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Here's the source of my clunking sound (no squeaking or creaking)... (the shiny silver tube should be, and was, in the big circular thing, surrounded by rubber; at that time it was called a bushing).
HTH,
Tom
Wow Tom, that's crazy. I had no idea they can get that bad. Were those original, how many miles? I had all the control arms changed (except the passenger lower, it had recently been done) so all the bushings are new. The only one I think is left to check myself (since Audi Brooklyn states that it is fine) is the sway bar. I might give them one more shot tomorrow, but will talk to the technician directly and request he comes out on a test ride with me to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the pics and info,
Scott