A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks for advice from forum members

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Thanks for advice from forum members

Greatly appreciate your help finding the source of the "honking". Also find a source for the little rubber "bungs".

However, it appears my honking goose is back. Per advice, I ordered a PCV Valve from FCP Euro and bought the OEM item, not a cheaper one. Replaced the valve on Monday and I could hear a very faint hook occasionally on Wednesday. The noise is exaclty how the honk started out a month ago and rapidly went from faint "onk" to audile goose noise at even the slightest acceleration.

I just talked to FCP and they confirmed the valve is bad or going bad and they will ship me another, no questions asked. However, the tech feels there is an underlying problem that caused the original failure and doing the same to the new part.

Note, my O5 A8 has 230K miles. The PO apparently had the breather system hoses replaced a year or so ago. The PCV was also changed at that time.

Any ideas on what's going on and more importantly, what is the solution? Back in the old days. (really old days), I'd pour a quart of kerosine (or some product designed for flushing an engine) into the crankcase; let it run for a while, then drain and fill with new oil. I don't think I want to do this with my Audi.

I await your expertise.