A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to auto-retract side mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is there a way to auto-retract side mirrors?

Is there a way - possibly via VagCom - to set the sideview mirrors to auto-retract when the vehicle goes into park? I know the newer Audi's have this option that you can set right from the MMI, but doesn't look like we have that so I was wondering if there's a way to do it via the VagCom.

Or, alternatively, I suppose I can still keep doing it using the ****...it just gets annoying to have to do it all the time.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default What's the main reason to retract sideview mirrors?

Originally Posted by nathanwind
Is there a way - possibly via VagCom - to set the sideview mirrors to auto-retract when the vehicle goes into park? I know the newer Audi's have this option that you can set right from the MMI, but doesn't look like we have that so I was wondering if there's a way to do it via the VagCom.

Or, alternatively, I suppose I can still keep doing it using the ****...it just gets annoying to have to do it all the time.
Every electrical part is designed to turn on/off so many times, I don't know about you, but I retracted my sideview mirrors less than 5 times in the garage when my wife parked so close to the Q7. Now she knows and park close to the wall then I don't need to use the retract feature any more. When we went to the store or shopping center, unless it's so crowded that I have to park next to some cars, I would retract the mirrors if the parking space is too narrow.

Retract every single time the car in park is over doing it. I and my wife always laughed at some cars, sitting in the middle of the empty parking lot with the mirrors neatly folded... purpose? Just to show off that the car has the folding mirrors option? We did see a Lexus with 1 mirror folded and 1 mirror in normal position driving on the freeway? Now, that's another option that we should also see if VCDS can program also.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Every electrical part is designed to turn on/off so many times, I don't know about you, but I retracted my sideview mirrors less than 5 times in the garage when my wife parked so close to the Q7. Now she knows and park close to the wall then I don't need to use the retract feature any more. When we went to the store or shopping center, unless it's so crowded that I have to park next to some cars, I would retract the mirrors if the parking space is too narrow.

Retract every single time the car in park is over doing it. I and my wife always laughed at some cars, sitting in the middle of the empty parking lot with the mirrors neatly folded... purpose? Just to show off that the car has the folding mirrors option? We did see a Lexus with 1 mirror folded and 1 mirror in normal position driving on the freeway? Now, that's another option that we should also see if VCDS can program also.

Cheers,

Louis
I deal with some chimps that seem to frequently like to park around me, and I have the internal countdown until someone tries to walk between cars and bash my mirror off .

Plus, I actually do need it in my garage...too many vehicles not enough garage space.

But I hear you, the more you use it the more it is likely to fail - probably a valid point. However, I'd still be down with programming this *if* it was an option.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That may be true guys but on some car when you lock the doors it will "auto-retract" every time.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default In Europe it computes more with...

some very narrow streets, difficult on street parking, etc. Maybe here in some big cities. But of course any 5+ meter luxobarge is the antithesis of a "city" car.

In practice, here I only use it in a tight garage type scenario, like our Tahoe place that only has 8' net garage door openings and narrow walk areas beside vehicle.. Oh yeah, and if I think about it (rarely) I might do it to dry the car after a good wash and avoid the inevitable peeing out of the mirror housing stuff. Otherwise, like you, it seems like a good way in everyday use to wear the motor out that much earlier, or in the wrong place to have some hoodlum think the car stands out and then screw with the expensive mirrors. Nope, I prefer to just park anonymously and not give anyone a reason to think the car is somehow odd or "showing off."
Old 10-15-2013, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Yes, it is a common option on newer ones

On our 2013 Q5, it's right there as an MMI controlled setting. In Europe we always had it on during the Euro delivery trip, like many other vehicles found there. Back in the USA, for the reasons I already mentioned in the other reply, it immediately got turned back off again.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be a nice option to have. Set it so if you gave a long-press on the key fob or handle button and they would retract. I have not set either of mine, but a long press locks the steering wheel. There must be some way to incorporate it.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no way to enable it in VCDS. You need to know what happens to the switches pins when switched to fold and back and see if you can replicated this somehow with ignition on/off, such as by using a subminiature 12v relay thrown by the +/- to the switch.

Notice if you turn the IGN off, you cannot fold the mirror, but if you turn ignition off while it is folding, it continues to fold.
This suggests some sort of signal to a control unit rather than a dumb power switch.

EDIT... Maybe this would help..
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/510557.aspx

Last edited by snapdragon; 10-16-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice find!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's controlled via canbus, so no easy way with relay.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to auto-retract side mirrors?