A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK

if you have cpo warrt,will cover
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Glad the goverment mandated TPMS on all cars

Sounds like a great system.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default This is correct.

It is because tire pressure monitoring is now required by Federal law, so deactivating it would be unlawful "tampering." Thanks again to the fine folks at Ford and Firestone for being so irresponsible.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 AM

Default Why the sensors need batteries is beyond me.

They are constantly rotating while the car in in motion, why couldn't they engineer a system to use that rotional energy to power the sensors, or recharge the batteries, or both?

The LTPWS (Low tire pressure warning system)in my 94 Corvette uses a similar wheel-mounted sensor that does not require battery replacement. It uses the rotational energy to power the system. This is 1990s technology.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Why can't you just replace the battery? And how long are they supposed to last?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: FYI - if you updgrade MMI software to a higher level you CAN'T turn the TPMS off..it's a pain

since it sounds like you can turn your TPMS off within MMI. See my '04 SW level in sig pic that I upgraded to. They need to send a symbol that says battery gone instead of worrying about the TP being too low.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 586 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Sensors are Beru OEM

They are available aftermarket.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 586 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Dedicated TPMS parts source

Here is an after market source where I bought some retrofit parts--you can variously get the whole thing, just the electronic part, or just the valve parts. I replaced just valve stuff when I had wheels refinished to get everything back to new and clean looking.

The OEM sensors are indeed Beru's. Audi/Beru say six year average life. I have seen them loose from the wheel several times. The newest Audi sourced ones have changed too from the greyish plastic color to an orange color. I have one of the new ones in use on my car (in a fifth spare wheel I got used to match others), and it works no problem with no underseat box change, no coding tweaks or anything else.

Also for reference on all these posts, the electronic part inside the wheel is completely sealed. No way to open it. Remember these things are in a fairly hostile environment. Read the display sometime and notice 140 degree or higher running temps on the road for long periods, or heat the brakes up big time and see what you get temp wise. Then there's the tire soap if you've ever cleaned a wheel after dismount. And of course there are the hundreds of thousands of road shocks the unsprung wheels take the brunt of. I wouldn't want anything in there mechanical or with little screw off caps. Just an invitation for klinking parts in a new fangled rock tumbler centrifuge for 20-40,000 miles.

Achtuning and TireRack sell them too, although maybe only with wheels + tires per some parts of TireRack site.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tpmssource.com/tpmssensors.aspx">TPMS parts</a></li></ul>
Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Geez, I got in my car at 5Pm today and the left front TPMS warning went off..Trick or Treat..

I went into MMI and DISPLAYED the TEMPS, nothing out of the ordinary, STORED the TEMPS and WARNING symbal went away.

I guess I better not post in a TPMS thread again. FYI, CPO replaced all my sensors the last service appt. as things were going bonkers with it.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Geez, I got in my car at 5Pm today and the left front TPMS warning went off..Trick or Treat..

Isnt this pretty normal? I know it happened once with mine after new tires. It got colder and the pressure droped below the 5% threshold of the stored PSI. Silly me forgot to store the new pressures.

Quick Reply: TPMS Warning