A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to Access Codes From Address 17: Instruments

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to Access Codes From Address 17: Instruments

Hi all,

After updating to 18.2 I'm unable to check my fault codes for the instruments. I downgraded to VCDS 17.1 and 17.8 but the same issue. Doing an autoscan, the car says everything is "OK" with the instruments, but the more detailed readout is as follows:

Code:
Address 17: Instruments Labels: None
VCID: 55A0B9C8BC0153E9EA-8000

No Faults Found
or DTCs not supported by controller
or a communication error occurred

I've been prepping my 2006 A8 for some work and I've run into trouble with the instruments.The reason this concerns me is that I'm going to take the car in to have a 4-wheel alignment and J428 sensor alignment to restore cruise control, but I'm unable to see if the car is communicating with the instruments. Driving the instruments like speed, tachometer, etc. work fine, but VCDS refuses to open it. I can't access the coding, measuring blocks or output tests, which I was previously able to access. I've checked the installation list to make sure everything is accounted for.

I've heard that disconnecting the battery for 30+ minutes and then reconnecting it sometimes solves these issues, but I've never disconnected the battery and am worried about creating a situation that does more damage. Have any of you had this problem where there is a communication error, and if so how did you solve it? Is disconnecting the battery possibly a solution?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrieHiatt
Hi all,

After updating to 18.2 I'm unable to check my fault codes for the instruments. I downgraded to VCDS 17.1 and 17.8 but the same issue. Doing an autoscan, the car says everything is "OK" with the instruments, but the more detailed readout is as follows:

Code:
Address 17: Instruments Labels: None
VCID: 55A0B9C8BC0153E9EA-8000

No Faults Found
or DTCs not supported by controller
or a communication error occurred

I've been prepping my 2006 A8 for some work and I've run into trouble with the instruments.The reason this concerns me is that I'm going to take the car in to have a 4-wheel alignment and J428 sensor alignment to restore cruise control, but I'm unable to see if the car is communicating with the instruments. Driving the instruments like speed, tachometer, etc. work fine, but VCDS refuses to open it. I can't access the coding, measuring blocks or output tests, which I was previously able to access. I've checked the installation list to make sure everything is accounted for.

I've heard that disconnecting the battery for 30+ minutes and then reconnecting it sometimes solves these issues, but I've never disconnected the battery and am worried about creating a situation that does more damage. Have any of you had this problem where there is a communication error, and if so how did you solve it? Is disconnecting the battery possibly a solution?

Thanks.
Why do you need to update the software, go back to the old one, there isn't anything new with the codes. I'm still using the 12.1. If it works don't fix it.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 03-18-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Louis,

I have been using 17.1 since I got the cable early in 2017. I upgraded to 17.8 to see if it was a VCDS issue, and then further upgraded to 18.2 to verify. I still have my old 17.1 installation, but I'm fairly certain this isn't an issue with the cable or VCDS. This problem seems to have happened after I got the oil changed in my car, which is odd but I guess that's what I get for not doing it myself I read in this post by Brozee that disconnecting the battery may be able to fix it.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi all,

I unhooked the negative lead to the battery this morning and reconnected it about 3-4 minutes later. It seems to have done the trick! I am now able to use VCDS to view fault codes and change the coding on the Address 17: Instruments module.

A few things to note: when I first reconnected the car I tried to start it (as to ensure I wouldn't drain the battery by running an auto-scan). The central instrument cluster (the display screen between the speedometer and tachometer) did not illuminate the first time around. I had read that leaving the key in the ignition for 5-10 minutes will see the car return to normal - something about a throttle body alignment? Either way, after leaving the car to get my laptop and cable, I came back and cycled the ignition, with the car starting immediately. After scanning, all fault codes that had previously been there (footwell heater, MMI display retraction, alarm horn, etc.) were present, but the Address 17: Instruments module was also available! Be aware that the ESP light will be illuminated until you drive the car a little bit - mine went off after about 1/4 of a mile. Disconnecting the battery also resets the time in your car as well as both trip computers. So far all is well! Thanks to Brozee for his post in 2014!