A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Audi A8 MMI visible only for a few seconds after screen comes up

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart 683
Once you have the display removed it is much easier to disconnect the power lead. You can try to repair the lead or buy a used one from ebay and splice it in. The signal wire is the larger diameter coaxial cable (yellow writing in your picture). My power lead had an intermittent connection, so I just jumpered it to another source, Should be a simple fix for you, taking the dash apart was the hard part.
I cut the other power wire as you suggested which allowed me to pull the housing out further to unplug the AV cable and another bunch of wires from the mmi housing motor and was then able to pull the mmi housing far enough out to unplug the pin connector housing that the power wires run into. The pin connector housing (part number 3D0972708) just unplugs from the bottom of the mmi display screen, I needed to use tiny flat blade screw drivers to unclip it from the screen. Now that the wire housing connector is out I could remove the wire pins. The repair part number is 000979009E, when it arrives I will cut it in half and insert each end into the connector housing then splice to the power wires and put it all back together.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Were you able to make it work with the new ordered part and put it all back together?
Old 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stewart 683
Turns out it was power to the screen, not sure why. Possible bad wiring, but I couldn't dig far enough to see it. I tapped into another source and solved my problem, sort of. The two micro switches I thought were related to the power issue I couldn't figure out, one is broken so I thought for sure that was the culprit, except it wasn't. So now both switches have been removed, screen works fine. I thought they would control the motor for fully raised or lowered, but it seems to do that just fine without them.
What did you use to tap into as an alternative power source?
Old 03-29-2024, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default blank monitor repair

Originally Posted by Direwulff
I cut the other power wire as you suggested which allowed me to pull the housing out further to unplug the AV cable and another bunch of wires from the mmi housing motor and was then able to pull the mmi housing far enough out to unplug the pin connector housing that the power wires run into. The pin connector housing (part number 3D0972708) just unplugs from the bottom of the mmi display screen, I needed to use tiny flat blade screw drivers to unclip it from the screen. Now that the wire housing connector is out I could remove the wire pins. The repair part number is 000979009E, when it arrives I will cut it in half and insert each end into the connector housing then splice to the power wires and put it all back together.
That didn't work for me. The only other thing I could ascertain is that the monitor doesn't work. I wish I knew how to test the monitor by itself. In addition after removing my front panels to get to the radio my air bag light came on.... So now I have to find out how to reset that!
Old 03-31-2024, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by jlouis141
That didn't work for me. The only other thing I could ascertain is that the monitor doesn't work. I wish I knew how to test the monitor by itself. In addition after removing my front panels to get to the radio my air bag light came on.... So now I have to find out how to reset that!
If you unplug any airbag and cycle the ignition for even a second (not really a good idea w/out disconnecting battery but it happens)), it puts an error code in the airbag module, Can happen as simply as you brush the start button with key in pocket while tinkering on something in front...like MMI. Just need VCDS type scan tool, go into airbag module and clear code. It won't clear by itself over time/ignition cycles. If it stays on after a clear, probably wiring or plug got tweaked.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlouis141
I would be absolutely sure that you have power to the monitor. My problem was an intermittent power cable somewhere beyond the connection. If possible find another 12v power to test the monitor. Make sure you also have the video feed attached while testing as just powering on a monitor with no signal may appear blank. I also don't recall having to touch any air bag connections to remove this.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turns out I can see a yellow connection in one of my pictures....that is probably an airbag. So I may have disconnected it, I didn't unplug the battery and cycled power numerous times during my testing. I also have VCDS so if I had a light, I reset it.