A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Not many people installing components in the D4 yet.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey guys. Just thought I'd throw my .02 in here... Not trying to be pushy but I might be able to help clarify a couple things for yall.

Originally Posted by the_duke
Like Jack said it's uncharted territory. I know several people tried this in the D3 and it wasn't possible as the cruise control modules are different.

I think your best bet is to replace the defective sensor and have the system aligned by the dealer. I'm not saying you can't do it yourself, I'm saying that if you do you'll have to figure out how to do it as no one here can help as it's never been done. I know when I was trying to figure out how to get mine working in the D3 I came across an article where someone fitted the 2 sensor system to an A6 and aligned it themselves so it's probably possible. It will come down to whether or not you want to put in the time and research to figure it out or just pay the dealer to do it for you.
Yup. It can be done. But it will never be as accurate as the dealer's system. The system is ALWAYS calibrated with the assistance of an alignment rack. There is an aiming panel that the radar bounces off of at specific angles that needs to be placed in front of the car in a VERY precise location. See more info in my response to MP4 below.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Here is an alternative to the dealer sensor alignment jig. Build your own.
(See section 7 of the OP)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-done-2886241/
This panel I made is for Active Lane Assist only. It is used in conjunction with the alignment rack as well. The panel for the adaptive cruise is separate, but is usually attached to the same stand as the Lane Assist panel.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
+1. And on wheel alignment, honestly if it needs a really big change, something is wrong/worn and should be straightened out. If sensor is out of whack, it probably goes back to either car talking a hit or something in suspension taking big hit or otherwise being screwed up. Said another way, put body back to new and suspension the same and it should logically line up same as factory.

If it is literally a failed sensor only and out of warranty, like many other calibrated parts I would just take best shot first at returning the replacement to prior position. A hunch though is it was knocked up to begin with, maybe breaking it. In that realm, can't help. May be a price of buying a used one w/out having info on all the details/issues.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by dildildil
I changed one of my acc sensor and i have the error for component protection.... is there any way we can remove that without going to dealer ?
There are always ways...and VCDS cannot do this. There are other programs out there besides VCDS that can perform this, but generally when CP needs to be removed, people just take the car to the dealer and have them do it. If you have an amazing SA like I do, he should know what to do.

Originally Posted by Jack88
Wheel alignment generally shouldn't effect calibration unless it needs a big change, they just like to tell you it could. How often have you had problems? This shouldn't be a regular thing, so how much you pay 'every time' should really be this once, unless you hit something or run into curbs parking on a regular basis. Those sensors don't often actually fail that often, either. Failing to properly fix this will negatively affect resale as well, so you'll pay for it no matter what. Sorry bud, while you can try to minimize the cost by doing some of your own work and diagnosis, the best thing is just to bite the bullet and fix it.
Yes and no. The system has tolerances that it must operate in. Small changes to alignment should not render the system inoperable, but it does take it away from the centerline on which it was calibrated. The question is how much and is it enough to make it unhappy. There is a way to force a sensor to clear its misadjusted error, but the sensors are smart and to a certain degree constantly checking themselves against their original calibration values. It may operate for a few miles or so but it will just shut itself down again anyway. These target panel that these radar sensors are calibrated against is placed in direct relation to the drive angle of the rear axle of the vehicle. Keep in mind, 10ths of a degree make huge changes over a couple hundred feet. Thats why laser assisted alignment equipment is used. Some dealers have the target, stand, and alignment rack but never ordered some of the radar cameras that go on the ends of the target stand (They're thousands of dollars). So, they "eyeball" the calibration on their alignment rack. The errors clear, the car works. ACC is operable, and then when the system starts checking itself in a few miles, BONG. ACC Unavailable. You just may need to have this done at another dealer, or like MP4 said, something else needs to be fixed.

Regarding the disabling of ACC and turning it into standard CC, it can be done. Both sensors would need to be unplugged from the front of the car, ACC would need to be first disabled in 01-Engine, and then CC enabled in 01-Engine. It needs to be coded out of the 02, 03, 09, 10, 16, 17, 19, etc. etc. etc.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/QUOTE]Regarding the disabling of ACC and turning it into standard CC, it can be done. Both sensors would need to be unplugged from the front of the car, ACC would need to be first disabled in 01-Engine, and then CC enabled in 01-Engine. It needs to be coded out of the 02, 03, 09, 10, 16, 17, 19, etc. etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

How can i code it in 01-engine its greyed out and theres no security acess code

Thanks alot
Old 11-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Club AutoUnion

Every car is different and without a full auto scan I can't begin to speculate what would be needed in YOUR vehicle. I suggest you subscribe to the Ross-tech forums and post your full auto scan and question there. A lot of good resources and knowledgeable people.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Excellent information as advice from Mrclopec!
Old 11-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Club AutoUnion

@dildildil

No assistance for pirates of VCDS. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
@dildildil

I'm not sure what you mean by that, even with the properly licensed VCDS software and cable, the engine module can not be modified without the code, and VCDS does not give it to you, last time I used it at least.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Club AutoUnion

He posted his auto scan at the RT forums and he's using a clone
Old 11-13-2016, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

He posted his auto scan at the RT forums and he's using a clone
Ah, for shame.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@dildildil

I have a genuine cable FYI .... i scanned n posted it using the shop cable as i was there to unplug the sensors.

Instead of running around different forums and spreading rumors, maybe you can work on your customer service and sales as it seems like you guys aren't selling very many cables since you have to act like vcds police.

If it wasn't for us audi/vw owners your software wouldn't be worth anything so show some respect and get the facts together before accusations.

As much as i like and use vcds for my cars todo small tweaks and diagnostic once in a while, real PIRATES is ross tech for stealing from vaspc amd etc.

Last edited by dildildil; 11-13-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Adaptive cruise control problem