A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment for s8 plus

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
i do have creaks and noises...going over a rough patch of road its now sounding a little clunky...would suck if the bushings are already going bad...only have 16k miles on the car.
Others have had failures at low miles too from posts here occasionally, more commonly the sway bar links. On my W12 control arm bushings only went 40-50K before showing issues; replaced under 4/50 warranty the first time, and then again by me a second time.

The design is honestly a piece of crap longevity wise. From drawing it looks like same mistake will continue w/ D5 too. It originated with a later 90's A4 and was then copied into D2 and came forward from there. Trouble is, that was a vehicle in the mid 3,000 pound weight range with like 40 pound 15 inch wheels, maybe 20 pound brake rotors and less than 200HP. Guess what happens when you pork it up another half a ton, increase wheel weight 60%+, double brake rotor weight and triple the HP? Art in Engineering, except they all checked out for lunch and a bunch of pints. Parts have never been sized up adequately for all the pork and stress increase, and design itself requires some flexibility that doesn't really get along well with long term durability.

Venting aside, sounds like first step may be head to dealer for warranty inspection. They don't typically re align for control arm bushings BTW (per some prior TSB's), but the bushing itself when worn causes deflection. A guess is more so under braking, given I found it also ties to slight shimmy that you might think was brake rotors. I think that deflection is where the tire wear can come in.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-10-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had alignment done on my '15 S8 at dealer and it was $350.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Others have had failures at low miles too from posts here occasionally, more commonly the sway bar links. On my W12 control arm bushings only went 40-50K before showing issues; replaced under 4/50 warranty the first time, and then again by me a second time.

The design is honestly a piece of crap longevity wise. From drawing it looks like same mistake will continue w/ D5 too. It originated with a later 90's A4 and was then copied into D2 and came forward from there. Trouble is, that was a vehicle in the mid 3,000 pound weight range with like 40 pound 15 inch wheels, maybe 20 pound brake rotors and less than 200HP. Guess what happens when you pork it up another half a ton, increase wheel weight 60%+, double brake rotor weight and triple the HP? Art in Engineering, except they all checked out for lunch and a bunch of pints. Parts have never been sized up adequately for all the pork and stress increase, and design itself requires some flexibility that doesn't really get along well with long term durability.

Venting aside, sounds like first step may be head to dealer for warranty inspection. They don't typically re align for control arm bushings BTW (per some prior TSB's), but the bushing itself when worn causes deflection. A guess is more so under braking, given I found it also ties to slight shimmy that you might think was brake rotors. I think that deflection is where the tire wear can come in.
so do you know if there is a way to adjust camber on both front and rear? or is it just toe? also all these tire shop and euro shops dont have any data for the s cars from audi...only A cars and most of them are hesitant about doing the alignment.

they are all basically saying that audis, mb, bmws and such with electric steering and all the same and autonomous driving stuff are aligned with special machines and tools.

all i really want is just to make sure the toe and maybe camber are in spec so i dont get weird tire wear as mine is already wearing on the inside 3/4" of the tire. this is caused probably from lowering with vcds or maybe its normal wear for heavy audis?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
so do you know if there is a way to adjust camber on both front and rear? or is it just toe? also all these tire shop and euro shops dont have any data for the s cars from audi...only A cars and most of them are hesitant about doing the alignment.

they are all basically saying that audis, mb, bmws and such with electric steering and all the same and autonomous driving stuff are aligned with special machines and tools.

all i really want is just to make sure the toe and maybe camber are in spec so i dont get weird tire wear as mine is already wearing on the inside 3/4" of the tire. this is caused probably from lowering with vcds or maybe its normal wear for heavy audis?
Camber: yes it should be adjustable on rear, but on front only to a limited extent. See the images below. I only know of the D3 suspension materials on this, which are the first two images. D3 and D4 are basically the same set up, other than the steering rack moved to down by the subframe, at least for electric ones, and the front sway bar link is linked somewhat differently. But I looked at the D4 alldata manual description for the D4 about alignment and it refers to exactly the same steps and limitations relative to camber.

The alignment specs that alldata lists are also shown below, for the D4 in various flavors.

BUT, notwithstanding this info to try to answer your questions, I would stay on the point about a potential wear issue in suspension. Head to dealer and let them sort it, under warranty. Audis a year old and at only 15K should not be making suspension noises. Period. Also literally NO Audi I have ever owned has ground tires on the inside edge if the suspension is in good shape. None, and for probably easily over a million miles if I add 'em up: C1, C3, C4, C5, D3, D4, Q5. The older ones that were FWD would scrub off the outer fronts, but no news there really with FWD set ups. BUT, the few times I have had inner wear, it always turns out there is a suspension issue, ultimately typically the upper arm bushings.

Since you mention what sounds like VCDS height modding, you might want to set it back to normal height before returning to dealer, if it is obvious. FWIW, I also found ride deteriorated on my D3 W12 for drops beyond about 10mm so I have kept it modest when I do it. The other safety and semi autonomous features have also made it trickier to do anything that would affect rake without worries about sensor misalignment. But, I think VCDS ride height tweaking (within reason) really doesn't affect alignment much since the range of operation of the air ride adjustability is commonly within the range of lowering owners go for.

In the practical experience world, over hundreds of posts and 10 years since mod was first pioneered starting with D3 (thank you Dr. Aronis...), I really don't remember anyone following up to say they had alignment issues or tire wear that they connected back to the mod. Meantime, hope the info. helps.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment for s8 plus-screen-shot-2017-08-11-5.46.58-pm.png   Alignment for s8 plus-screen-shot-2017-08-11-5.47.13-pm.png   Alignment for s8 plus-screen-shot-2017-08-12-8.32.50-am.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-12-2017 at 07:42 AM.