A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armor All Wheel Protectant

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Armor All Wheel Protectant

When a product is so good, you can't help but spread the word. I heard about Armor All Wheel Protectant on the Jaguar XJ forum when I was seriously considering purchasing one of those. However I came to my senses and here I am with a 2011 A8L, all of 3 weeks old.

After about a week of driving, the wheels were filthy and turning black like my old BMW. With the 10 spoke Y wheels, I was dreading the wheel cleaning nightmare. Then I remembered what I read about the Armor All and decided to give it a try. I followed the instructions on the can to a letter. I cleaned the wheel thoroughly with wheel cleaner and allowed it to dry completely. I then sprayed the wheel protectant and let it dry for about 3 hours (minimum 1 hour recommended). The protectant feels like Rain-X when wet and did leave some white residue on the polished parts of the wheel. They were easily buffed out. It's been 2 weeks since I sprayed these on my wheel and I am very, very, very impressed. Attached is undoctored photo of my front driver's side wheel. The wheel has not been cleaned for 2 weeks in any way. If you look carefully, there are small areas behind the spokes where the wheel is black. Those are the areas that the protectant did not coat. I am almost inclined to take the wheel off and completely coat both front and inside surface of the wheel. These are supposed to last 2 to 3 months, but even if it last half as long, I would be very happy. It took ~2/3 of a can to coat all 4 wheels.

Very highly, highly recommended!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I used a can of the Protectant after I detailed the summer wheels in the spring. Count on using a full can for inside and out. The can sells for around $8.

I can't attest to how well it worked. I didn't keep track of how soon the wheels appeared dirty. I will use the product again.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

That's darn good for two weeks. Wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't just cleaned, if not for the seam behind the spokes. How many miles did you drive during that 2-week period? Guess I'll have to pick up a can or two this weekend.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's after about 500 miles of 70/30 City/Hwy driving. It's amazing, isn't it?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xradman
That's after about 500 miles of 70/30 City/Hwy driving. It's amazing, isn't it?
That IS amazing and very impressive!! I will definitely be using it on my new A8L when it arrives about 3 months from now. Ordered it today.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use it and it's incredible how clean it keeps wheels.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the good tip. My recent purchase came with 20's and summer tires. I purchases a set of 19's with conti contact pros and put them on for the winter. I'm going to clean up the 20's and coat the ite entire wheel. I'll do the same to the 19's this spring when I change them. If I remember to do so, I'll post the results later this spring. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Check out this video from Armor All. I saw this before I used the product. It's impressive.

Some of the videos show people spraying the product on their wheels while it's on the car but wonder about getting it on the rotors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2BjD4J3gy8
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I sprayed it on my wheel while it was still mounted. The rotors at that time had a fine layer of rust because the wheel was washed prior to the spray. I think whatever gets on the rotor gets removed with the first brake application just like the fine layer of rust.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazing how well this stuff works! Thanks for the great tip...

Quick Reply: Armor All Wheel Protectant