A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM
ivg
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the car and have both the blue and the red cables however when I connect the ipod using the red cable the MMI says that the ipod is incompatible. I assumed that the MMI was not updated - however the service supervisor at my Audi dealership said that this is the latest and they do not have any updates now - we even cehcked another new A8 that arrived and it had the same issue.

XradMan maybe you could tell me what version of the MMI I should have and whether you have heard of it being available in the US of A?!

finally I was also wandering if anyone heard about the option to have the trunk closed from the drviers seat - I saw this video on youtube that says that you can do it - has anyone had success with that?

Thank you all
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Just got my D3 windows tinted in Dallas, all around for $375, awesome job by professionals. You are getting ripped off.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ivg
finally I was also wandering if anyone heard about the option to have the trunk closed from the drviers seat - I saw this video on youtube that says that you can do it - has anyone had success with that?

Thank you all
Yes, it works on my 2011 MY A8L (Jan 30th 2011 build). Be sure to have the power in accessory mode for it to work---you have to hold the switch in the up position for a while however; it's not as instantaneous as when opening the trunk. Remember, while you can open the trunk from the door switch with the car completely powered off, you must have the power ON before the switch will operate the close function. Also, if you release the switch as the trunk closes, it will stop and not fully close until you re-apply the switch (a safety function, I'm guessing).
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ivg
I just got the car and have both the blue and the red cables however when I connect the ipod using the red cable the MMI says that the ipod is incompatible. I assumed that the MMI was not updated - however the service supervisor at my Audi dealership said that this is the latest and they do not have any updates now - we even cehcked another new A8 that arrived and it had the same issue.

XradMan maybe you could tell me what version of the MMI I should have and whether you have heard of it being available in the US of A?!

Thank you all
I have the same cable issue with my new A8L which arrived two weeks ago---however, my iPhone wasn't "compatible" with either the blue OR red cables. I've been traveling on business and will be visiting my dealer on Wednesday to determine what the issue is. If XradMan responds to your post with the MMI version that works, this will be a big help. Using the Bluetooth audio player works well but there isn't any control via the MMI. Track selection, etc. is all on the iPhone (or other Bluetooth device).

Speaking of the power trunk, have you used the "kick" motion under the rear bumper (with the key fob in your pocket or hand) to open the trunk? Nice feature for any power trunk or power SUV rear lid.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the red grommet cable but do not have the updated MMI software, so it does not work with my iPhone 4S. Blue grommet cable does work with my iPhone and MMI, but no album art or videos. Red grommet cable supposedly works with newer MMI version in some A6/7, but no updates for A8 MMI yet.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM
ivg
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all your responses. I have tried the power trunk close - thanks for that - it works.

I have not tried the kick to open feature but will try and post the results.

However I found another major annoyance - once I mute the audio and turn the car off and turn it back on the audio automatically unmutes itself... Even if I pause the audio it unpauses once you turn the car back on ... It would not be half as bad if I was solely listening to music but I listen to audio books during my daily commute and when I pause the book and give the car to a garage attendant by the time I get it back the book is in a different place - super annoying!!!!! I have spent a whole hour yelling at Audi on the phone because I found it ridiculous and unacceptable that a 100k car does not have the most basic feature that every other car on the planet has... The best they could come up with is to turn the MMI completely off before you exit the car - it is a temporary workaround by it is not ideal especially when one paid for this car so much... Des anyone have any idea how to make the mute stick?!!?!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 PM
ivg
AudiWorld Newcomer

By the way I wanted to check with everyone what version of MMI you have on your A8's ?! And did anyone has gotten or has seen the album art from iPod display on an A8 in the US with a red cable?! All answers are appreciated.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ivg
By the way I wanted to check with everyone what version of MMI you have on your A8's ?! And did anyone has gotten or has seen the album art from iPod display on an A8 in the US with a red cable?! All answers are appreciated.
I will check mine (2012 A8L delivered 2 weeks ago today) tomorrow for its MMI version when I'm back home and advise.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivg
Thanks for all your responses. I have tried the power trunk close - thanks for that - it works.

I have not tried the kick to open feature but will try and post the results.

However I found another major annoyance - once I mute the audio and turn the car off and turn it back on the audio automatically unmutes itself... Even if I pause the audio it unpauses once you turn the car back on ... It would not be half as bad if I was solely listening to music but I listen to audio books during my daily commute and when I pause the book and give the car to a garage attendant by the time I get it back the book is in a different place - super annoying!!!!! I have spent a whole hour yelling at Audi on the phone because I found it ridiculous and unacceptable that a 100k car does not have the most basic feature that every other car on the planet has... The best they could come up with is to turn the MMI completely off before you exit the car - it is a temporary workaround by it is not ideal especially when one paid for this car so much... Des anyone have any idea how to make the mute stick?!!?!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant.
There is no way to make the mute stick. I've found a workaround and that is to change the input to something else before you turn off the car.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM
ivg
AudiWorld Newcomer

The version of my 2012 A8L that, by the way, I took possession of yesterday, is ...US_AU_PO487... As I understand from doing some searches this version on an A7 allows for album art, but on my A8L it wouldn't even connect the ipod... can anyone confirm that this is the case on their A8 with that version of MMI?