A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back pain in a8 comfort seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Nah, both diamond stitched and regular Comfirt seats have the same 22-way adjustment. The diamond stitching on the Sport Comfort seats adds more cushioned support IMO due to the stitch pattern. Had regular Comfort seats on my 2011 D4, and now the diamond stitched Sport Comforts on my 2015. In my review post of my 2015 A8L back in November 2014, this was one of the first things I noted.

For what it’s worth, in my case I think the regular Comfort seats in my 2011 D4 exacerbated my sciatic (sp?) nerve issue, which continues with the Sport Comforts from time to time. Using a variety of the message settings does help me, but also popping a couple of Advil and removing my trouser belt on long drives helps a lot. And yes, not having your wallet in your back pocket is critical—In fact, sitting any time with a wallet in your back pocket is generally not good for your back over time. Also, comments about not overdoing the lumbar support setting are on target—can place too much pressure on your lower back if there is a preexisting condition.
Thanks for the clarification - I was going off of the information in the 2015 A8 brochure with all of the specs/package details in the back.

The Sport Comfort seats have been a godsend for me. I developed lower back problems about two months after getting my A6. Those seats felt hard as a rock, there wasn't enough thigh support, and I couldn't find a comfortable position no matter how many adjustments I tried. I've had the A8 since January and my back problems are gone - these are the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car. The thigh support and massage functions are incredible. The seats will be a major issue for me in any car going forward.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m starting to think I need to return the car. Any one ever have success with that? I’m sure the dealer makes it next to impossible. I know it will cost me something I’m just not sure how much. I’ve only put about 300 miles on it. I’ve had it 10 days now.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rspector
I’m starting to think I need to return the car. Any one ever have success with that? I’m sure the dealer makes it next to impossible. I know it will cost me something I’m just not sure how much. I’ve only put about 300 miles on it. I’ve had it 10 days now.
I doubt you have the right to return it. You bought it used and doubt there is a right of recession and if there was it would have expired in a few days. At least the depreciation will be less. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The most important adjustment, which some people seem surprisingly unaware of, is the angle of the seat bottom. With your feet at the pedals and your seat at approximately the right distance forward or aft, you need to adjust the height of the front edge of the seat bottom and the back edge of the seat bottom separately.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it should be level like a chair at a dining table, nor adjusted for easy entry/egress. It should match the angle of the bottom of your thigh as you sit in a driving posture, so that it provides even support along your whole seat and no pressure spot. For taller people like me, that means the front of the seat bottom is significantly higher than the rear of the seat bottom, so it points upward towards the steering column, where my knees are.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to play with the adjustments more. The A8/S8 seats are some of the best in the business.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I figured the same. For a car that nice I’d think the seats would be perfect. Is there any one in the greater Danbury Ct area that would be willing to sit in my seat? Someone that has a d4 a8 of course. Maybe something is broken? I’d welcome the opportunity to compare my seats to someone else’s as well.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
You need to play with the adjustments more. The A8/S8 seats are some of the best in the business.
Absolutely! Driving 10-12 hours a day is no problem! With the infinite adjustments and massage, even my old butt arrives relaxed!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
Absolutely! Driving 10-12 hours a day is no problem! With the infinite adjustments and massage, even my old butt arrives relaxed!
Yup. I recently made a 7 hour drive to Laguna Seca, did a 9 hour performance driving school the next day and then immediately drove back 7 hours. I was beyond exhausted mentally but 100% comfortable.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Best Seats

X2, check your settings. There’s quite a bit of adjustment available. Maybe something is stuck (VCDS diagnostic test of the seat should tell you if a module/motor is having problems).

I’ve had back pain for the last 10 years. With this car I arrive relaxed with out any pain I also notice that I don’t have back discomfort when I’m not in the car. Recent round trip from El Paso to San Diego with 10 hours in the car and with out breaks felt perfect. My passenger told his wife the same thing “most comfortable car seats I ever been in...I don’t feel like I just spent the whole day in the car”.

Hope you can figure it out.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:57 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My back is not easy on me and I have had issues for many years but the seats in this car are great, I can drive for many huors without problems and often it's a bit of a relif for the back getting in so my advice is to work a bit more with the settings before you give up.