A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bizarre issue thread - the fuel level sensor saga

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AugustHorch
There is nothing wrong with beer taps. I think our collective concerns are with an over-worked technician who doesn't necessarily spend every day screwing D4 suspensions in-place. I'd be even more worried if he was having a beer on the job.
True
Old 04-23-2019, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Update:

Picked up the vehicle today and it was a challenge trying to see the replaced parts - they did constantly assure me and provided the detailed list of items on the work order. They also found another issue I had mentioned (squeaky front suspension) and replaced the front guide link bushings as per an existing TSB. They drove the car for about 4 miles (street and highway), so here's hoping all will be well. I guess I'll be truly comfortable only if no issues come up after a few weeks of my usual driving.

Total estimated cost of the job would've been about $2,500 if out of warranty. Crazy!
Old 04-28-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AugustHorch
Thanks. The used part bit didn't even cross my mind... it was the consistent repeating of "oh, we also need to remove the fuel tank", by the same gentleman, that got me concerned - unless he has memory issues and keeps forgetting he has told me already. I'll come back here with an update. In the meantime, the more time I spend in the Q5, the more I appreciate my A8.
My fuel gauge reading was faulty brand new from the factory. They replaced the sensor, and then had to remove the whole rear end, gas tank, axles and all, to replace the real faulty component. The first service was a sensor accessible under the rear seat. This didn't work. I recently saw a new fuel sensor error in the computer, but all seems to be working since the second service to replace something from Germany about a year ago.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Digi
My fuel gauge reading was faulty brand new from the factory. They replaced the sensor, and then had to remove the whole rear end, gas tank, axles and all, to replace the real faulty component. The first service was a sensor accessible under the rear seat. This didn't work. I recently saw a new fuel sensor error in the computer, but all seems to be working since the second service to replace something from Germany about a year ago.
I had started noticing incorrect readings, a few months into owning the vehicle, though I didn't pay any attention to it since it mostly "self-corrected" itself eventually - never mentioned it to the dealer, either. It wasn't until the sensor triggered the CEL that this whole adventure began.