A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes squeal CPO

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JZK26
H​​​​

i think we we have the exact same situation. Could you please share what your dealer is doing for you and how they’re being helpful? I assume you didn’t take the car all the way back to that dealer (would be the same challenge for me - ~200 miles from the dealership where I bought it). Thanks.
Will do. I'm still working through it. Nothing has materialized yet, but I'm hopeful
Old 08-09-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

After speaking with dealers in my area I have found one that seems reliable and helpful. I have been in contact with them as well as the dealer I bought from. The dealer that sold the car had me send them videos of the squeal and agrees that it is likely a brake problem. They have authorized me to go to any convenient mechanic (audi dealer or otherwise) to have the brakes checked and the problem repaired (if in fact the brakes are the issue). The dealer I am taking it to and the dealer I bought from have spoken as well, so hopefully that streamlines things. I think this hinges on a couple issues.
1- CPO means they expect >50-60% life left on brakes
2- My issue really is brake pad wear
I have been very impressed with the dealer I bought from. If only I were local I think it would already be taken care of by them!

On another note, there are 3 audi dealers near me. I called all 3 of them on Monday. I got a call and email back from one which led to a string of emails throughout the day. Another called me back Wednesday and has accused me of being an idiot basically. The third has not called back at all. How do these places expect to win/retain customers? I pretty much gave them a sure thing in a new S8 owner looking for service. Oh well. I'll keep ya'll posted. I hope you have some luck also.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RJdelo
After speaking with dealers in my area I have found one that seems reliable and helpful. I have been in contact with them as well as the dealer I bought from. The dealer that sold the car had me send them videos of the squeal and agrees that it is likely a brake problem. They have authorized me to go to any convenient mechanic (audi dealer or otherwise) to have the brakes checked and the problem repaired (if in fact the brakes are the issue). The dealer I am taking it to and the dealer I bought from have spoken as well, so hopefully that streamlines things. I think this hinges on a couple issues.
1- CPO means they expect >50-60% life left on brakes
2- My issue really is brake pad wear
I have been very impressed with the dealer I bought from. If only I were local I think it would already be taken care of by them!

On another note, there are 3 audi dealers near me. I called all 3 of them on Monday. I got a call and email back from one which led to a string of emails throughout the day. Another called me back Wednesday and has accused me of being an idiot basically. The third has not called back at all. How do these places expect to win/retain customers? I pretty much gave them a sure thing in a new S8 owner looking for service. Oh well. I'll keep ya'll posted. I hope you have some luck also.
This is very good info. I haven’t called my dealer yet since honestly I’m not sure what they would do other than to tell me to take to a dealer near me. Tried bedding the brakes but didn’t make a difference.

Forgive me for asking, but have you transferred plates or gotten new plates for your S8? I’m asking because I feel concerned that taking my S8 with dealer plate on it (haven’t yet received my new plates, can take up to 2 months) may be weird with the dealer near my house? Would they treat it the same? Or am I overthinking it?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmm, I still have the temporary plate. I didn't even think about that really. I explained the situation to the dealer near me and assume they will just be happy to have my business. I think the dealer near me has more to gain from a good relationship with me than they do with some other audi dealer a couple states away. Maybe I am just a grouchy old man, but good customer service breeds loyalty, and I would hope they can recognize that.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RJdelo
Hmm, I still have the temporary plate. I didn't even think about that really. I explained the situation to the dealer near me and assume they will just be happy to have my business. I think the dealer near me has more to gain from a good relationship with me than they do with some other audi dealer a couple states away. Maybe I am just a grouchy old man, but good customer service breeds loyalty, and I would hope they can recognize that.
agreed. Ok I’ll take it to mine see what they say. Will report back. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

FWIW, majority of my Audis have been purchased both new and used from OTHER than my servicing dealer. As noted, most important thing is developing a good relationship with your service advisor type. The A8 and then the S8 are among the lowest volume Audis sold, so either a bigger or higher end clientele dealer can be a better choice if you have options. The small town ones and those that see mostly A4's, Q5's and such and little of the expensive ones will not have as much practical experience, local routine parts inventory and so on.

On main post subject, after exhausting bedding, your normal next choices are scuffing up the rotors--which most dealers probably won't do--or replacing pads. The nature of a worn pad could in theory set up some vibrations and then noise, even if it has apparent life left. Dealer brake work is pricy (aka big money maker for them) if they don't do it under warranty somehow, though the factory pads prices these days are not a lot more than some well regarded aftermarket brands.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
FWIW, majority of my Audis have been purchased both new and used from OTHER than my servicing dealer. As noted, most important thing is developing a good relationship with your service advisor type. The A8 and then the S8 are among the lowest volume Audis sold, so either a bigger or higher end clientele dealer can be a better choice if you have options. The small town ones and those that see mostly A4's, Q5's and such and little of the expensive ones will not have as much practical experience, local routine parts inventory and so on.

On main post subject, after exhausting bedding, your normal next choices are scuffing up the rotors--which most dealers probably won't do--or replacing pads. The nature of a worn pad could in theory set up some vibrations and then noise, even if it has apparent life left. Dealer brake work is pricy (aka big money maker for them) if they don't do it under warranty somehow, though the factory pads prices these days are not a lot more than some well regarded aftermarket brands.
understood. I think I’ll take it to the dealer to hear what they say. I have a list of a few things I’d like them to look at. Hopefully this would not involve thousands of $$$...
Old 08-10-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

On other news, just called to schedule my appointment at the dealership, and the appointment scheduler mentioned that she’s “never seen a car with so many problems, especially the electronics”. Granted, she’s probably not a service mechanic, but still talk to many clients to list their problems. Confidence Inspiring

anyway, I love this car. Just need to tweak a few things and it will be perfect for me. Will report back.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

Great points relative to what type of cars they typically see/service. We'll see what happens when I bring it in Monday. So far my phone/email communication has been good.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

So just was at the dealer - look at the breaks and said they are in very good condition and pads are in very good condition. Said that the noise is usual and is the standard for these brakes (also other Audi models). Even showed me a brochure Corporate Audi issued to explain why the brakes squeal and why it is totally fine. I'm relieved that they are ok, but cannot believe I'll have these sounds as standard from now on on this type of car. Unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Brakes squeal CPO