A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes squeal CPO

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by JZK26
So just was at the dealer - look at the breaks and said they are in very good condition and pads are in very good condition. Said that the noise is usual and is the standard for these brakes (also other Audi models). Even showed me a brochure Corporate Audi issued to explain why the brakes squeal and why it is totally fine. I'm relieved that they are ok, but cannot believe I'll have these sounds as standard from now on on this type of car. Unbelievable.

Again, not standard on mine. The brochure just sounds like a corporate marketing spin to standardize the blow off; bet they don't hand that out at the sales counter... In fact, Audis have had issues for years in some cases, and they own the design, not you or the marketplace. Even more specifically, they and BMW co-own the rights (likely patented) on the unusual rotor they are using on a lot of the performance Audi's now, D4's included. Also factually, after several service actions, as one example they ended up doing full caliper replacements on the TT-RS's and RS3's. Those likewise use the Brembo style calipers (smaller) and the pin quasi two piece rotors. If you look at your brakes, you will see a big purple plastic covered counterweight hanging off the top of them in front. That is another way they have been kludge addressing the issues, including on the TT-RS and others they had to re do.

IF you want to do anything, consider replacing pads, likely with aftermarket, and perhaps lower dust. (Indy) mechanic would clean caliper suspect areas at same time and scuff up rotor. If you have not yet tried re bedding the pads, you should.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Servicing dealer said the pads look OK, but there is some other component breakdown. The dealer I purchased from has authorized replacement of the front pads. I have been tremendously impressed with the dealer I purchased from, and the dealer performing service. Maybe brake pads are a small investment for them, but it has made me feel very valued, and I am very loyal to both of these guys now. The two dealers closer to me have lost out.

once I get a final rundown of the issue and the repair, I’ll give an update. Hope to have the car back tomorrow. The Q5 loaner just isn’t the same 😉

Old 08-16-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, that was it. Some "internal failure" that has been remedied by replacing front pads. The dealer I bought from is covering the bill. Quiet as can be now!!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RJdelo
So, that was it. Some "internal failure" that has been remedied by replacing front pads. The dealer I bought from is covering the bill. Quiet as can be now!!
happy to hear it worked out in the end! Do let us know if the noise comes back. Mine is with the dealer right now.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good afternoon. I have a brake squeak/squeal issue with my 2016 S8 Plus. Seems similar to yours. I am located in Westchester, NY. Wondering if you were ever able to resolve your issue. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer. - Richard
Old 03-06-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by broadbrook
Good afternoon. I have a brake squeak/squeal issue with my 2016 S8 Plus. Seems similar to yours. I am located in Westchester, NY. Wondering if you were ever able to resolve your issue. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer. - Richard
Yeah, they replaced front pads, "even though they were not the problem" they claimed. However, I am again hearing a squeek. I think there is something about the factory pads that just cause this problem. Im sure someone here could explain it better. I think the best resolution is better after market pads🤷*♂️ Good luck!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. Seems a bit strange that owners of these cars are told to just accept it as a normal thing. It's driving me nuts!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is incredibly frustrating. It's confusing to feel powerless when driving a flagship car with over 500 HP🤷*♂️😉