A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Module for Mirror Memory?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Control Module for Mirror Memory?

Hello,
Wondering if anyone know which module controls side mirror memory. Mine stopped working. No fault codes detected by VCDS. I suspect if the control module needs to be reset or replaced. Is it the driver seat memory module or driver door elect that also controls mirror memory? Any input would be appreciated.
Best regards
Old 11-21-2020, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf95
Hello,
Wondering if anyone know which module controls side mirror memory. Mine stopped working. No fault codes detected by VCDS. I suspect if the control module needs to be reset or replaced. Is it the driver seat memory module or driver door elect that also controls mirror memory? Any input would be appreciated.
Best regards
Are you sure it "stopped working"? FWIW, newer Audis behave differently than older ones, if by chance thet is your reference point. It is also key (user) specific IIRC, in case you are switching off among keys. In reverse, you lock in the setting to the memory, while on the old ones it just did a default dip offset. Either key switching or not locking in the reverse/dip setting can fake you out on whether it is working or not. BTDT.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Are you sure it "stopped working"? FWIW, newer Audis behave differently than older ones, if by chance thet is your reference point. It is also key (user) specific IIRC, in case you are switching off among keys. In reverse, you lock in the setting to the memory, while on the old ones it just did a default dip offset. Either key switching or not locking in the reverse/dip setting can fake you out on whether it is working or not. BTDT.
Thanks for the info. I’m only using one key and I drive the car 99% time. So I don’t think key switching is the issue.

Don’t quite understand what you mean by reverse/dip setting. I know the passenger side tilts when reversing but how does that affect memory setting?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the info. I’m only using one key and I drive the car 99% time. So I don’t think key switching is the issue.

Don’t quite understand what you mean by reverse/dip setting. I know the passenger side tilts when reversing but how does that affect memory setting?
You adjust mirror to where you want it while in reverse and save that to memory for the given key. Not just a default dip amount like it used to be in older Audi's. Covered in owners manual IIRC.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

You adjust mirror to where you want it while in reverse and save that to memory for the given key. Not just a default dip amount like it used to be in older Audi's. Covered in owners manual IIRC.
Yeah I know that feature. Mine just doesn’t return to the original position. Instead it always returns to a lower position. Additionally, when I manually press memory set 1/2 on the driver door, I don’t see the mirrors move.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah I know that feature. Mine just doesn’t return to the original position. Instead it always returns to a lower position. Additionally, when I manually press memory set 1/2 on the driver door, I don’t see the mirrors move.
Not sure what to say, other than I wouldn't expect mirrors to move when you press the memory set button. Just in case, try going back to manual and doing setting by the letter of the text. I find getting the rear mirror dip function dialed in is not that intuitive on current Audi's--at least if you came from older Audi's where you just dialed in one non-key specific position while the mirror control **** was set to the passenger side mirror. I say that because at one point I thought my own was broken until I got the hang of setting it.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure what to say, other than I wouldn't expect mirrors to move when you press the memory set button. Just in case, try going back to manual and doing setting by the letter of the text. I find getting the rear mirror dip function dialed in is not that intuitive on current Audi's--at least if you came from older Audi's where you just dialed in one non-key specific position while the mirror control **** was set to the passenger side mirror. I say that because at one point I thought my own was broken until I got the hang of setting it.
Okay sorry if this sounds dumb and correct me if I’m wrong. But aren’t you supposed to change the seat, steering wheel, mirror, etc. to your desired positions then set to memory 1/2, and next time just press and hold it everything will move to where you set them at?
Old 11-21-2020, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Okay sorry if this sounds dumb and correct me if I’m wrong. But aren’t you supposed to change the seat, steering wheel, mirror, etc. to your desired positions then set to memory 1/2, and next time just press and hold it everything will move to where you set them at?
Yes for only the 99.9% normal going forward direction part, though I don't think you have to hold it if car is in Park. But as I recall, you set the passenger mirror down tilt separately and to liking. It is dependent angle wise on your upper torso height--besides all the seat adjustment settings--plus your everyday parking can theoretically involve different curb heights or other scenarios you want to focus on. So, you set it to get the mirror tilt angles specifically to what you want. If set wrong, it can essentially do nothing in reverse. That's the difference from older Audi's, where it used to just tilt by a predetermined automatic amount as long as the mirror switch was set to the passenger side mirror when you put it in reverse.

I've owned 'em with the mirror tilt stuff and memory seats since 1985, and I had to check the manual again for the newer ones, specific to the mirror back up function. Arguably sort of classic Audi over engineering that fails KISS or even prior way they did it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-21-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes for only the 99.9% normal going forward direction part, though I don't think you have to hold it if car is in Park. But as I recall, you set the passenger mirror down tilt separately and to liking. It is dependent angle wise on your upper torso height--besides all the seat adjustment settings--plus your everyday parking can theoretically involve different curb heights or other scenarios you want to focus on. So, you set it to get the mirror tilt angles specifically to what you want. If set wrong, it can essentially do nothing in reverse. That's the difference from older Audi's, where it used to just tilt by a predetermined automatic amount as long as the mirror switch was set to the passenger side mirror when you put it in reverse.

I've owned 'em with the mirror tilt stuff and memory seats since 1985, and I had to check the manual again for the newer ones, specific to the mirror back up function. Arguably sort of classic Audi over engineering that fails KISS or even prior way they did it.
Yeah I know on D4 we can set the tilted angle. But I was talking about the normal position of mirror memory. Like if I have two drivers and both set the mirror memory separately, when trying to recall the memory setting, the seat, steering wheel, etc will change according to the specific memory setting, but not the side mirrors.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Normal mirror setting/angle should change with each driver, key and pushing of the 1 or 2 button. Basically everything customizes except inside rearview mirror.

Quick Reply: Control Module for Mirror Memory?