A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer loaners

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Total nonsense and hysteria. I have had 4 Audi and not experienced a single repair or problem. No rattling or squeaks. The interior of the A6 is nice than the Lexus and BMW equivalent
Well I've now rolled over 106,000 miles on my 8 and am getting sick and tired of the nonsense and hysteria with it. There's a reason I've had so many loaners.

My 05 4.2 Sport was terrific and I can honestly say the best Audi I've had to date. 200,000 miles and very little issues. These latest Audis we have had have been so problematic its like going back in time, not forward. I wished all I had was squeaks and rattles with them!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Well I've now rolled over 106,000 miles on my 8 and am getting sick and tired of the nonsense and hysteria with it. There's a reason I've had so many loaners.

My 05 4.2 Sport was terrific and I can honestly say the best Audi I've had to date. 200,000 miles and very little issues. These latest Audis we have had have been so problematic its like going back in time, not forward. I wished all I had was squeaks and rattles with them!
so what kinds of problems have you had ? I'm curious to know what those were and what i should watch out for... and have you had the problems since the beginning ?
Old 09-18-2017, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2.0 loaner WAS horrible

Interesting that the professional review sites and car magazines praise the Audi 2.0 engine and say it's one of the best. What do you expect, it's a 2.0

It's totally ridiculous that you compare a S550 to an A6 2.0. Get some perspective
I stick to my assertion about the A6 loaner I had. Audi has made a big mistake putting that 2.0 in one of their bigger cars. I can see I am also not alone here in noticing all the plastic in a 50K plus car. Just not for me.Life is too short to drive a boring ,underpowered plasticky automobile.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
so what kinds of problems have you had ? I'm curious to know what those were and what i should watch out for... and have you had the problems since the beginning ?
Yes, this A8 has been a love-hate relationship right from the beginning. I bought it as a CPO so was warrantied till 100K, but now I'm on my own.

Suspension bushings have been done twice already, and I suspect they are gone again as it is handling like crap again. Tires wear out the inside edges when they go. Whey they don't last any length of time is beyond me, My 05 A6 4.2 sport suspended cars original bushing didn't get replaced until 190,000 miles!

Coolant leaks both on the ground and thru the wiring harness multiple times. Trans heater valves have been replaced along with wire harness, my guess is its a matter of time before it happens again.

MMI screen opener has broken once already, same here, Just a matter of time before it happens again IMO. I would like to program it to just stay open. when it breaks again I will build a mount to

B&O bass speaker went bad and was lucky it was repaired under CPO warranty because they wanted a almost a couple grand to replace it. Now there are other speakers that sound like they are going out, cant tell if they are in the door or the dash, sounds like the dash to me.

Warm starting problems that took a year to get repaired, but of course its back not starting again this time its worse, when it happens it cranks and cranks, hitting the throttle brings it to life and it runs rough for a while, I suspect its a check valve or bad regulator allowing the pressure to drain off. I just hit the throttle right away now when it happens to like 1/4-1/2 throttle and it will at least fire up and run. They replaced all eight injectors just before the CPO ran out and that had it cured for a few thousand miles, but it did not last.

Intake was carbon plugged of course being it's direct injected, so I had to pay for a walnut blast. Power really came up then too and it started idling better also, but of course I bet its plugged again because the rough idle is back, and spark plugs and injector and fuel cleaning does not do a thing to help it. Comes out of it once it gets above an idle and warms up.

Oil separator diaphragm went bad this spring and it sounded like a squealing-dying pig. Off of warranty of course. Sounded like an alternator whet out at first.

Transmission, don't even get me going there. Its been re-flashed and updated but the shifting is still horrendous, at times you'd swear you have a manual tranny, rev the engine a sidestepped the clutch. WTH, My wife's 8 speed works flawlessly in her A6, but not on this A8. I've learned to live with it as it's all they can do. Wen my wife rides with me, she thinks the tranny is going out and I have to reassure he that's just the way it is.

Side assist radar has gone out already once on the passenger side, of course it will happen again, its just a matter of time.

Rear window shade has been replaced once already as it would not go up or down, I did not use it much either as I just leave it up all the time, of course it will happen again I believe.

Plastic Door trim fell off behind drivers side handle, it just broke in a parking lot somehow, I found it and just glued it back on, to replace it of course it will need repainted.

Paint peeled off on the window washer doors and to hitch little plastic door. Had to have them re-painted on my dime of-course. They prepped it properly at my body shop so will not happen again.

No where near the reliability I had with my last 05 A6 4.2 fully loaded sport pack car. It is easy to see that the quality of the newer Audis is not there so I have no intention to buy another one again. When the Audis we have now are done, we will have no more. My Daughter bought a A3 and I cautioned her against it, but she bought it anyway, now she's looking to get rid of it ASAP as it has been the worst nightmare one could ever imagine. It's in the shop continually! It has to be the worst POS ever made! So she has learned her lesson now too.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing that is difficult to do is not take one's personal experience and apply it across the whole line or generation. It's hard not to do this as car enthusiasts are passionate about their cars. I am at 66k and the only thing that has failed that effected some drivability was the passenger side motor mount. My other issues were caused by the previous owner or by human error. Sucks to have all these issue Knapp but it does not seem to be the case for most of us.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 09-18-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
I stick to my assertion about the A6 loaner I had. Audi has made a big mistake putting that 2.0 in one of their bigger cars. I can see I am also not alone here in noticing all the plastic in a 50K plus car. Just not for me.Life is too short to drive a boring ,underpowered plasticky automobile.
The reviewers and experts think the 2.0 is a terrific engine, but you can keep saying otherwise
Old 09-18-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

The reviewers and experts think the 2.0 is a terrific engine, but you can keep saying otherwise
It is a really good engine, especially as the top trim EA888 that the S3 gets. But it's not pleasant in the A6--I know since I'm driving a A6 2.0T loaner right now. Too slow and Audi has tuned out any interesting noise or powerband characteristics. It feels like a rental car spec engine. The start/stop implementation is also pretty bad. Every engine restart feels like a stall.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
It is a really good engine, especially as the top trim EA888 that the S3 gets. But it's not pleasant in the A6--I know since I'm driving a A6 2.0T loaner right now. Too slow and Audi has tuned out any interesting noise or powerband characteristics. It feels like a rental car spec engine. The start/stop implementation is also pretty bad. Every engine restart feels like a stall.
Compared to what other 2.0 engine? Experts say it's a top performer compared to other 2.0 engines. It's a freaking 2.0 engine rated top in it's class
Old 09-18-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Compared to what other 2.0 engine? Experts say it's a top performer compared to other 2.0 engines. It's a freaking 2.0 engine rated top in it's class
So now we're just comparing it to other 2 liter engines, instead of whether it's any good in the A6? I don't understand your defensiveness on this.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Yes, this A8 has been a love-hate relationship right from the beginning. I bought it as a CPO so was warrantied till 100K, but now I'm on my own.

Suspension bushings have been done twice already, and I suspect they are gone again as it is handling like crap again. Tires wear out the inside edges when they go. Whey they don't last any length of time is beyond me, My 05 A6 4.2 sport suspended cars original bushing didn't get replaced until 190,000 miles!

Coolant leaks both on the ground and thru the wiring harness multiple times. Trans heater valves have been replaced along with wire harness, my guess is its a matter of time before it happens again.

MMI screen opener has broken once already, same here, Just a matter of time before it happens again IMO. I would like to program it to just stay open. when it breaks again I will build a mount to

B&O bass speaker went bad and was lucky it was repaired under CPO warranty because they wanted a almost a couple grand to replace it. Now there are other speakers that sound like they are going out, cant tell if they are in the door or the dash, sounds like the dash to me.

Warm starting problems that took a year to get repaired, but of course its back not starting again this time its worse, when it happens it cranks and cranks, hitting the throttle brings it to life and it runs rough for a while, I suspect its a check valve or bad regulator allowing the pressure to drain off. I just hit the throttle right away now when it happens to like 1/4-1/2 throttle and it will at least fire up and run. They replaced all eight injectors just before the CPO ran out and that had it cured for a few thousand miles, but it did not last.

Intake was carbon plugged of course being it's direct injected, so I had to pay for a walnut blast. Power really came up then too and it started idling better also, but of course I bet its plugged again because the rough idle is back, and spark plugs and injector and fuel cleaning does not do a thing to help it. Comes out of it once it gets above an idle and warms up.

Oil separator diaphragm went bad this spring and it sounded like a squealing-dying pig. Off of warranty of course. Sounded like an alternator whet out at first.

Transmission, don't even get me going there. Its been re-flashed and updated but the shifting is still horrendous, at times you'd swear you have a manual tranny, rev the engine a sidestepped the clutch. WTH, My wife's 8 speed works flawlessly in her A6, but not on this A8. I've learned to live with it as it's all they can do. Wen my wife rides with me, she thinks the tranny is going out and I have to reassure he that's just the way it is.

Side assist radar has gone out already once on the passenger side, of course it will happen again, its just a matter of time.

Rear window shade has been replaced once already as it would not go up or down, I did not use it much either as I just leave it up all the time, of course it will happen again I believe.

Plastic Door trim fell off behind drivers side handle, it just broke in a parking lot somehow, I found it and just glued it back on, to replace it of course it will need repainted.

Paint peeled off on the window washer doors and to hitch little plastic door. Had to have them re-painted on my dime of-course. They prepped it properly at my body shop so will not happen again.

No where near the reliability I had with my last 05 A6 4.2 fully loaded sport pack car. It is easy to see that the quality of the newer Audis is not there so I have no intention to buy another one again. When the Audis we have now are done, we will have no more. My Daughter bought a A3 and I cautioned her against it, but she bought it anyway, now she's looking to get rid of it ASAP as it has been the worst nightmare one could ever imagine. It's in the shop continually! It has to be the worst POS ever made! So she has learned her lesson now too.
yeah sorry for all the problems you have had with the car...i havent had my 16 s8 plus for too long (6 months) but so far i have put on 20k miles and really no problems. however i do see where you are coming from on the tires wearing out on the inside and the front suspension might have problems. i do have slight clunking in the fronts and tires are wearing quicker on the inside than rest of tires.

but again other than those small issues i havent had any other problems...i love the car so hope i dont run into the problems you are.

why does he have to compare other 2.0t cars? he just doesnt like the 2.0t...just because it was rated high against others doesnt make it a desirable engine. does it perform and put out power while being efficient? sure it does...however i hate that engine lol...always sounds like its whining and is gonna blow up anytime.

i would take the 3.0t over the 2.0 and would take the 4.0 over 3.0 anyday...i know the 2.0 is a good engine for what it is but i will never buy one in a luxury car.

Quick Reply: Dealer loaners