A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smiley50
I contacted Audi dealer Finance Managers for those who ran internet adds to sell cars. Gave them info on car and ask for best price from each. Got a lot better deal on genuine Audi warranty from them than local dealer offered.
They were a little surprised as it was a car not bought at a dealership, but Audi USA approved it.
I'm coming up on having to do an extended warranty this month. Got a rape and pillage quote from the local Dealer so I'm looking at options. Mind if I ask what you got, how much and from where?
Old 10-07-2020, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You should check with FD-Warranty.com. Troy is a straight shooter and the pricing is very good.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stratham Audi was dealer. Don't remember price now.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jahummel
You should check with FD-Warranty.com. Troy is a straight shooter and the pricing is very good.
Thanks, they only offer 3rd party for Audi so that's a non starter. They DO however sell Ford factory warranty so I'll reach out when my truck is getting to it's end.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by slamdunkpro
I'm coming up on having to do an extended warranty this month. Got a rape and pillage quote from the local Dealer so I'm looking at options. Mind if I ask what you got, how much and from where?
Be careful where you go to get your extended warranty to find out later it does not cover certain part of your power train. Especially turbos and superchargers being the most expensive part of an engine.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi extended warranty dark secret

Did you know that you have to pay for the diagnostic fee ($180?) if you take your car in for your dealer to check out a malfunctioning part if the resulting repair is not covered by the warranty?

I bought a car with an extended warranty that is still valid. I took my car in for a service this morning since I see a warning light on the dashboard for tail light malfunctioning. This light comes on intermittently (some days they appear and some days they do not). I checked the tail light and they look fine to me so it does not appear to be a light bulb issue. Since the light bulb looks fine but this warning light still come on intermittently, it appears to be something wrong with the car’s tail light sensor.

The problem is that the service advisor is telling me that if the item that needs to be fixed (whatever it happens to be) is not covered by my extended warranty, I have to pay a diagnostic fee ($180?) and only way to tell is that they have to perform the diagnostics first. This is strange in that I thought the warranty covers for your technicians to perform the diagnostics in the first place free of charge. If I had this issue during my factory warranty period, will I be treated the same way? If so, the extended warranty is being misrepresented.

Does this sound right? Anyone with similar experience?

Old 10-13-2020, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Is it Factory CPO car or just 3rd party extended warranty ? It sounds like 3rd party and for these that's the way it works. My dealer told me the same thing, but fortunately whatever they diagnosed was covered and I did not pay for that procedure.
If it's Audi CPO - I think diagnostics should be covered.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought a used car from a dealer (CPO) and the original owner had purchased extended warranty that is still good. Is there a customer support channel I can contact to bring this complaint?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Smiley50
Stratham Audi was dealer. Don't remember price now.
Got a good deal from them - $2,000 under my local DC area dealer
Old 10-28-2020, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audigf
Did you know that you have to pay for the diagnostic fee ($180?) if you take your car in for your dealer to check out a malfunctioning part if the resulting repair is not covered by the warranty?

I bought a car with an extended warranty that is still valid. I took my car in for a service this morning since I see a warning light on the dashboard for tail light malfunctioning. This light comes on intermittently (some days they appear and some days they do not). I checked the tail light and they look fine to me so it does not appear to be a light bulb issue. Since the light bulb looks fine but this warning light still come on intermittently, it appears to be something wrong with the car’s tail light sensor.

The problem is that the service advisor is telling me that if the item that needs to be fixed (whatever it happens to be) is not covered by my extended warranty, I have to pay a diagnostic fee ($180?) and only way to tell is that they have to perform the diagnostics first. This is strange in that I thought the warranty covers for your technicians to perform the diagnostics in the first place free of charge. If I had this issue during my factory warranty period, will I be treated the same way? If so, the extended warranty is being misrepresented.

Does this sound right? Anyone with similar experience?

that’s very normal. There are exactly zero extended warranties on the market that pay for “trouble not found” visits. There are also exactly zero extended warranties on the market that will pay for diagnostics on a repair that comes back as not covered. When a vehicle is under the factory basic warranty, the manufacturer will pay a limited amount of trouble not found diagnostic time to the dealerships, mostly for customer satisfaction, but extended warranties will not. Some dealerships will choose to wave these fees for customers that purchased the vehicle and warranty at that dealership, but that is independently up to the dealership. Outside of that, you’re generally on the hook for diagnostics and teardown up until the point that the extended warranty pays for the repairs.

also pay attention to labor rate caps on these warranties. I’m in the Bay Area and labor rates here are approaching $250 an hour and up. There are warranties that use a national average as a labor rate cap, which is around $115. You’ll get stuck with the difference.