A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Eagle Sport VS Mich Pilot Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle Sport VS Mich Pilot Sport

2015 Audi A8L-- has Pirelli 264/40-20 on it now, tires are fine, about 60%, but I cannot stand the noise. I would like to stay to the 265/40-20 size, as I have a wheel and tire protection plan but it states they will only cover the wheels/tire if oem specs are met. I am thinking of going with the Goodyear Eagle Sports, but cannot find many reviews as most people went up to the 275 size. Are these tires better than the Pirellis? I am not worried about tread life as I replace tires frequently on all of my vehicles. I am also looking at going with the Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires, but i just do not think I will get much use out of them here in the Northeast.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Cant speak for the goodyears, but I have been using the Pilots for years and will not use any other tires. I live on Long Island and boy these tires are as sticky as they come. 100% recommended. Obviously useless in the winter or below 35 degrees as the rubber starts sliding slightly
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default details...

Originally Posted by Cgraz1187
2015 Audi A8L-- has Pirelli 264/40-20 on it now, tires are fine, about 60%, but I cannot stand the noise. I would like to stay to the 265/40-20 size, as I have a wheel and tire protection plan but it states they will only cover the wheels/tire if oem specs are met. I am thinking of going with the Goodyear Eagle Sports, but cannot find many reviews as most people went up to the 275 size. Are these tires better than the Pirellis? I am not worried about tread life as I replace tires frequently on all of my vehicles. I am also looking at going with the Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires, but i just do not think I will get much use out of them here in the Northeast.

which model of Pirelli tires do you have ? And what part of the country do yoprimarijy drive ?
Old 03-23-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by awdinut
which model of Pirelli tires do you have ? And what part of the country do yoprimarijy drive ?
Right now I have the P Nero Zero, the same as stock. I drive in the Northeast, Pennsylvania.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I liked the GoodYears very much, but used them in a 275/40/20 size. They would hydroplane a bit in heavy rain but worked really well in the snow.

I have been running the Michelin 275/40/20 and couldn't be happier. These Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 N-Spec tires are simply fantastic. No shaking, rides well, quiet, handles and responds like a race car! Excellent in the snow as well which is surprising as they are super wide. Expensive, but worth the money. I really, really like them!

I had a set of Conti DWS-06 that I never really cared for at all, so these Michelins are a nice relief from the spongy & non-responsive DWS-06's. They didn't work as well in the snow as either the GoodYears and not nearly as good as the Michelin in the snow. Which is opposite of the reviews on TireRack on all these tires, but I've run them all enough to form my own conclusions on the A8 Sport.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pilot Sports without question, and if you can't live with them in the winter because of cold/snow, then get a set of winter wheels and tires.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the review, these are the tires I want to buy when it’s time to replace the Pirellis.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ill add another vote for Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3. We had a huge snow here in Ohio yesterday and I was able to drive out of my unplowed driveway after 13" of snow with those tires and they didnt slip once.
I dont think one would need snow tires after using these...BTW, I have about 5000 mi on them so far, so maybe it helps they are newer.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Scar_cle
Ill add another vote for Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3. We had a huge snow here in Ohio yesterday and I was able to drive out of my unplowed driveway after 13" of snow with those tires and they didnt slip once.
I dont think one would need snow tires after using these...BTW, I have about 5000 mi on them so far, so maybe it helps they are newer.

You brought up an older thread for sure. Yes the A/S 3 works VERY WELL in snow when they are new. Its my favorite all-season tire when new. I have gone back to the GoodYear all-season pilot sport this go around and it is just not quite as good as the Michelins were. I went to the GoodYear dealer for these and they are a fantastic tire, no shakes or abnormalities at all, quiet, responsive, ride good and WAY cheaper than the Michelins, but just not quite as good in the snow or the rain as the Michelins. The Michelins last well but the GoodYears last longer. Both loose grip in the snow as they wear of course, the Michelins loose more grip in the snow from new to used compared to the GoodYears. Myself I prefer the Michelins when new but as they wear there they both perform about the same. I have many miles on both tires in all conditions. I believe I will continue with GoodYears Pilot Sports on the a8 moving forward. I have over 170,000 miles on the car now.

I had previous problems getting smooth and round GoodYears from Tire Rack for some reason, but getting them right from GoodYear and have them do a road force they are perfect. I just hate out of round or out of balance tires on an Audi!