A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How reliable are these Audi's after 100k? Do they become money pits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I have 2 neighbors with a8 4.0Ts - one with 98k miles and another with 110k miles - nothing apart from routine issues - (down pipes and the sort)

”solid as a rock” and frankly why I bought the s8 - which has also been good

like any Euro lux barge - these aren’t cheap to own and you’ll have the typical lemons here and there but they’re pretty good and solid

if you buy used, be wary : many former leased vehicles have not had regular service intervals done, (because by my SA estimation over half the lessees tend to see their 2 year lease as disposable cars) and some of the southern cars had flood damage but were not properly reported as such - and those will have lots of electronics gremlins

Last edited by audisession; 06-02-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbrookings
About to turn 140K on my 2015 S8 (yes, I drive a lot of miles). The car has been remarkably reliable, thanks in part to 75% highway miles). First time every I purchased an extended warranty, good to 125K in this case. Had I not had the extended warranty I would have spent about $3.5K in repairs or about the same as the extended warranty cost (air suspension air bags, trunk lid motor). Otherwise maintenance and self inflicted wounds (curb rash, scraped a door on a post) has been all. I've had a lot of fine saloons, name the brand; Maserati, Jag, MB, BMW, Porsche, but nothing has really been close to the S8. Best car I've ever owned. It is still feels like a new car - never kept a car anywhere near this long.
Absolutely agree. My first '14 S8 was great, my current '17 S8 is even better. I can compare to my previous MB 550, MB 600 and MB 63 AMG (lemon). S8 wins hands down, what a sleeper.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have had 5 Audi A8L

So I have had 5 Audi A8L now and I love them all until they hit 115/120k miles when they just become a nightmare of cripplingly expensive repairs. It's hard to justify a 5000 repair on a car that is worth 14k.

I find they are really good cars to buy 18 months old when they have depreciated like a rock and them sell at 48k or 95k if it's cpo. As soon as you are out of warranty it's awful.
The following users liked this post:
Spock1234 (07-04-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanR
So I have had 5 Audi A8L now and I love them all until they hit 115/120k miles when they just become a nightmare of cripplingly expensive repairs. It's hard to justify a 5000 repair on a car that is worth 14k.

I find they are really good cars to buy 18 months old when they have depreciated like a rock and them sell at 48k or 95k if it's cpo. As soon as you are out of warranty it's awful.
Couldn’t this same formula be applied to any ~10 year old car with similar mileage?
The following users liked this post:
bpp (08-20-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonDuvall
Just purchased a silver 2011 Audi A8L with 125k miles for around $14k. I drove it home about 500 miles without issues and the vehicle history on Carfax showed no accidents and had 3 previous owners. Am I a chump and paid to much with those miles?

I don't see many posts from members with these cars above 100k so I would like to get input on their experiences also with these cars above 100k.
I would say get rid of a car when it starts with problem. Buy a new Audi and trade in your current Audi.
Is what I would do.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If he's looking at a used Audi with over 100k miles, it would seem like an absurd suggestion to him to just buy a new Audi.

Buying a new car can be one of the worst financial decisions a person makes.

The bottom line is this- yes the parts cost a little more than domestic and the labor is more difficult, but it's a fairly easy car to maintain if it doesn't have big issues.

They could be 99% gold, but if you get the 1% turd, it doesn't matter to you if everyone else has gold. If you do your research and really examine the car, make a decision if it's the best possible car you can get with those options, miles, price. If it is, great! Stop looking and buy. Understand that there are some increased risks with a 7-8yo car, and move forward.

Do NOT buy a luxury flagship sedan made by any company if it stretches your budget and you cannot afford repairs of a major system. Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is.
The following 2 users liked this post by mtnboydl:
bpp (08-20-2019), Spock1234 (07-04-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnboydl
If he's looking at a used Audi with over 100k miles, it would seem like an absurd suggestion to him to just buy a new Audi.

Buying a new car can be one of the worst financial decisions a person makes.

The bottom line is this- yes the parts cost a little more than domestic and the labor is more difficult, but it's a fairly easy car to maintain if it doesn't have big issues.

They could be 99% gold, but if you get the 1% turd, it doesn't matter to you if everyone else has gold. If you do your research and really examine the car, make a decision if it's the best possible car you can get with those options, miles, price. If it is, great! Stop looking and buy. Understand that there are some increased risks with a 7-8yo car, and move forward.

Do NOT buy a luxury flagship sedan made by any company if it stretches your budget and you cannot afford repairs of a major system. Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is.
I agree if its golden then ig it's not so golden you're screwed.
As long as y oh u have coverage above 100k you're good.
May be worst financial decision a person make but at least it's new. Buying a used vehicle if the person is not mechanically inclined with a garage and cant get a warranty for the car then they're screwed. Either way. I rather go for the new car.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

at 182k miles with the 2012 A8L. Used for work commute 90 miles a day highways. Its running great with few issues such as engine manifold replacment, oil leak, coolant leak, vacuum pump leak, o2 sensors replacement, left rear air suspension replacement. Most were covered under warranty. Did front control arm bushings and sway bar link replacement 2 years ago. Otherwise solid german machinery. The ride is not as glass smooth as it was when new with some vibration in chassis on highway unless very smooth tarmac even with road force balanced Michelin tires due to the weaking of the suspensions.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baloo588
at 182k miles with the 2012 A8L. Used for work commute 90 miles a day highways. Its running great with few issues such as engine manifold replacment, oil leak, coolant leak, vacuum pump leak, o2 sensors replacement, left rear air suspension replacement. Most were covered under warranty. Did front control arm bushings and sway bar link replacement 2 years ago. Otherwise solid german machinery. The ride is not as glass smooth as it was when new with some vibration in chassis on highway unless very smooth tarmac even with road force balanced Michelin tires due to the weaking of the suspensions.
Wow 182k, think it will make 200k without issues? I'm looking at a car in the 100k range, worried about issues though
Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
--clip-- o2 sensors replacement --clip--
Just curious; Would you happen to remember the fault (maybe even the code) and which sensor it was? I'm having intermittent Catalysator Effectiveness issues with my 2011 w. 113k miles.

Quick Reply: How reliable are these Audi's after 100k? Do they become money pits?