A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered Stage 2 APR kit for my 2013 Audi S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered Stage 2 APR kit for my 2013 Audi S8

Just ordered the APR Stage 2 kit for my 2013 Audi S8. This includes the ECU tune, downpipes and high flow cats.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I know by going to Stage 2 that risks come with the territory but wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with this.

Thanks,

Last edited by highhrider; 06-26-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: I did not want to throw my shop under the bus.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I can tell you that even if they flash it to stock, there will be a permanent marker in the computer and it will void the warranty on most of the drivetrain. There is no way around this, period. Precision Motorworks lied to you, either out of ignorance or more likely the desire for work combined with the expectation of not getting caught.

As long as you're okay with that, the tune should really liven up the car. I tuned my Mercedes from 493hp/600lbft to 625hp/700lbft, which made it a whole bundle more fun. Still very civilized, though.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack is correct. Once the ECU is flashed, unless it was done by a dealer, you effectively have no drivetrain warranty. That bit is flipped in non-volatile RAM and can't be returned to the previous value. That never stopped me, and I never had a motor or trans go kaboom on me, but you should go into this with your eyes open. If it breaks, it's your problem so keep a rainy day fund. For that engine and that transmission, I'd have at LEAST $10-15k laying around.

Best,

Last edited by Ritz; 03-13-2017 at 05:02 AM. Reason: last edit....I promise. :)
Old 03-13-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default ZF trans is marginal to begin with in terms of durability.

Originally Posted by Nipul Roy
Just ordered the APR Stage 2 kit for my 2013 Audi S8. This includes the ECU tune, downpipes and high flow cats.

Precision Motorworks in Santa Clara said this should not void my factory warranty. They said that if I have any issues, to bring it to them so they can refresh to stock, reset the flash counter, then I can take to the dealer to get the work done.
Will the dealer still be able to tell if I have had an ECU tune? I know the downpipes are a give away but will the dealer care about that?

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I know by going to Stage 2 that risks come with the territory but wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with this.

Thanks,
It's bad enough that a trans isn't covered under warranty when they fail around 100K miles...why do something that is likely to have them fail during warranty and then you get bonked for doing it? And if the car is leased, you're VERY likely to get really $$ hammered when it's time to turn the car in.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
It's bad enough that a trans isn't covered under warranty when they fail around 100K miles...why do something that is likely to have them fail during warranty and then you get bonked for doing it? And if the car is leased, you're VERY likely to get really $$ hammered when it's time to turn the car in.
Kiss that silicon valley bonus goodbye if you've got to replace one of those.

I'm not saying that would stop me (it wouldn't), but that I'd budget for a repair just in case. Trying to back out of the flash doesn't help since they know it's been flashed, and our intrepid owner said he was having downpipes and cats done. That will be easy to visually detect if it winds up in a dealer as well. They will quickly do the needful and void his warranty.

Best,
Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion, the relationship with a dealer is the best move in this direction. Looking at APR dealers there are 2 VW and 1 Audi that offer APR installation close to me. If one was to build up this relationship and have a dealer install the items it is still a grey area but your likelihood of having blatant denial of warranty coverage goes down. Especially with items they are not obviously related. Considering these tunes are not custom having the dealer do it seems like an no brainier. I also find it a bit surprising guys are not gong this route. Maybe not necessary but I know in my past tuning experience a custom tune was way better then the generic one.

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-13-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
In my opinion, the relationship with a dealer is the best move in this direction. Looking at APR dealers there are 2 VW and 1 Audi that offer APR installation close to me. If one was to build up this relationship and have a dealer install the items it is still a grey area but your likelihood of having blatant denial of warranty coverage goes down. Especially with items they are not obviously related. Considering these tunes are not custom having the dealer do it seems like an no brainier. I also find it a bit surprising guys are not gong this route. Maybe not necessary but I know in my past tuning experience a custom tune was way better then the generic one.
Pay dealer rates to install a tune and aftermarket parts in the hope that might get them to ignore corporate policy and help a brutha out if the owner breaks the car. That doesn't strike me as being a particularly likely outcome, though not impossible. Again, if you can afford the car and the tune, and the gas/insurance/etc, you can probably afford to just keep an "oops fund" in case it breaks.

Gearhead aside...you are putting significantly more stress on the drivetrain than when Audi supplied it from the factory. Why should they be held accountable if it breaks? If you're going to mod, you have to take some responsibility for what you're doing.

Best,
Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for jumping in and giving your thoughts.

My Audi warranty expires in 3 months and then my Fidelity Platinum warranty kicks in till 87,000 or 2022. Car currently has 19,000 miles on it.

I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope nothing goes wrong. If it does, try to get Fidelity to cover it. If not, oh well, lol.

I just ordered everything today. Can't wait to get it!!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My Audi warranty expires in 3 months and then my Fidelity Platinum warranty kicks in till 87,000 or 2022. Car currently has 19,000 miles on it.

I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope nothing goes wrong. If it does, try to get Fidelity to cover it. If not, oh well, lol.

Welcome to the dark side of modding. Feel the power.

Best,
Old 03-16-2017, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You might want to check your Fidelity VSA. In my research, I have found that performance mods will affect the coverage. Be careful.

Quick Reply: Just ordered Stage 2 APR kit for my 2013 Audi S8