A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered Stage 2 APR kit for my 2013 Audi S8

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twglasgow
A part should be designed and manufactured to be identical. The APR tune intentionally modifies performance and creates greater stress that the car wasn’t designed for. Seems a pretty easy argument for audi to make. No one has said it would void the warranty for MMI or your seats for example.
Yeah, I get that but the gentleman suggested Audi would need to "prove" it, not just simply say "Too much stress by the aftermarket part(s), it's on you". And I guess you're saying there are multiple "warranties" within the 4/50 manufacturer warranty so the entire warranty wouldn't be voided, just the part pertaining to the engine and/or drivetrain ?

Also, I wonder if anybody can comment on increased or decreased gas mileage, durability/drivability/longevity, etc. ?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi denies the warranty. Then you file suit under M-M, audi produces a staff engineer as a witness. Who do you produce as a a witness?
either you’re willing to accept the risk that the power train warranty will be voided or you’re not willing to take that risk.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My dealer voided my warranty on my stage 1 S8. I had to come out of pocket for PCV valve replacement. **** happens. Enjoy the stage 2. It will be a blast. If something breaks, fix it and just hope it’s not your trans or a major engine component. My dealer still warranties non drive train items, as they should.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

A part should be designed and manufactured to be identical. The APR tune intentionally modifies performance and creates greater stress that the car wasn’t designed for. Seems a pretty easy argument for audi to make. No one has said it would void the warranty for MMI or your seats for example.
Audi denies the warranty. Then you file suit under M-M, audi produces a staff engineer as a witness. Who do you produce as a a witness?
either you’re willing to accept the risk that the power train warranty will be voided or you’re not willing to take that risk.
Not sure why you appear to be trying to be so combative. I've read this thread and others where this very subject has been discussed ad nauseam. I asked a simple question.

But for your first point, it is my understanding that Audi, and pretty much every manufacturer tunes their cars well below their maximum capabilities leaving much(?) more headroom, no doubt to give themselves maximum protection from failure.

So, "wasn't designed for" ? Nope, it was designed for a lot more. Just not what is was set for.

As for the second,,,,,,,, it brings to mind that other thread I read (here ?). That particular problem was a blown cylinder seal issue (pardon if I don't have the verbiage exactly correct) that was a known issue in that particular year's model. I would certainly search high and low for similar issues in my car's failure and, if found, that would be evidence that Audi would have to refute. Might even try to get a real techie APR guy to testify, one who really knows his stuff. In that other thread there were several posters who declared it was "impossible" for the APR mods to have caused that particular issue.

And yes, I get that either I'm "willing to accept the risk that the power train warranty will be voided" or I'm "not willing to take that risk". But I am only willing to be responsible for issues the mods actually cause, not something some major global corporation wants to escape their responsibility for just because they can(?).

Always a pleasure.
The following users liked this post:
Wayne1971 (04-17-2020)
Old 02-18-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Stage 2 is so great. That’s all I have to say. Love it.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No matter what: if your stealership, oh I mean dealership wants to be *******s.... the first oil change you get you are busted! APR downpipes are a dead give away! My dealer knew I was tuned at a glance. 3" beautifully welded DPs a nice growl and NO check engine light. Come on man. They may act dumb, but when it comes to not paying warranty work they are all on their game.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Installed my Stage 2 at 19K miles and now have 27,300 miles. This upgrade is a must. Every time I drive the car, I get smiles all over my face. Everyone that sits in my car thinks it's insane.
Audi performed the recall for the fuel line and they did not TD1 my car. It was recall 18V430000. The only bad part about the recall was that Audi had to reprogram the computer, therefore it wiped the APR flash. I had to go back to the APR dealer to get it reflashed. Only paid 30 minutes labor on it which was around $80. APR program was free because they were able to look it up.
No other issues with the car at all. I'm on the brakes harder now, so I just replaced the front pads in my garage at 25,000 miles. Took about 3 hours total.

Car is now for sale. Purchasing another house, so my direction has changed.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by highhrider
Update: Installed my Stage 2 at 19K miles and now have 27,300 miles. This upgrade is a must. Every time I drive the car, I get smiles all over my face. Everyone that sits in my car thinks it's insane.
Audi performed the recall for the fuel line and they did not TD1 my car. It was recall 18V430000. The only bad part about the recall was that Audi had to reprogram the computer, therefore it wiped the APR flash. I had to go back to the APR dealer to get it reflashed. Only paid 30 minutes labor on it which was around $80. APR program was free because they were able to look it up.
No other issues with the car at all. I'm on the brakes harder now, so I just replaced the front pads in my garage at 25,000 miles. Took about 3 hours total.

Car is now for sale. Purchasing another house, so my direction has changed.
Did either of you go from Stage 1 to Stage 2 or did both of you go directly to Stage 2? I have Stage 1 and it’s so quick that it’s hard to imagine that there’s much more potential. If you did go from Stage 1 to Stage 2, I’d love to hear about the difference from your perspective (I’ve read all I can on APR’s site).
Old 12-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went directly to a stage 2. I do know that stage 2 changes the way your car growls. Sounds amazing because I've heard both. Never driven inside a stage 1 though, so can't tell you.