A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S8 owner with ext warranty questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New S8 owner with ext warranty questions?

Hello everyone, I've learned so much in the last week by reading 100's of posts on this forum. There is a wealth of info on here! I purchased a CPO S8 this week. The dealer is hitting me up for extra warranties if I want them. I'm curious if any of you picked them up and your opinion on their value. 1. Extended Service Contract(not doing it, its already CPO'd) 2. Simoniz Glass Coat(assuming its like 3M coat) 3. Tire and Wheel Protection 4. Ding Shield 5. Premium Shield 6. Anti Theft Shield 7. Key Replacement.
I'm not planning on picking up any of these items, unless you guys say something is an "absolute must have". Thank you in advance!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my CPO S8 last week. They offered an additional 7yr/100k mi bumper to bumper zero deductible warranty from MY DATE OF PURCHASE and not from the original date of service. I confirmed with the finance manager that it would take me out to 2023 and he agreed so I have it in writing. I negotiated the price of the car down so the added warranty was a wash. I took a bath with the depreciation on my 2011 CPO A8L 4.2 but the dealer still gave me more than CarMax.

I also opted for the wheel and tire coverage because I get a lot of nails due to housing construction in my area.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 492 Posts

I went CPO on the low miles 2015 S8 from last weekend. Waved off even a discussion of the options here, since I do all my own post warranty anyway, including way deep dives at the level of W12. There is also the emissions warranty no one pays much attention to and dealers seem to try to ignore. In CA, the northwest and northeast states that track to CA smog rules, that also takes you out more time (7 years) than 4/50 even w/ CPO. It's a pretty technical list though of what is covered; actually one of the key things for me to know about to back stop possible Hybrid drive risks on the Q5, especially with a few high $ ones already under 4/50 warranty.

Mine is about 18 months in to its 4/50, then two more years on CPO. Having the D3, I wasn't too concerned about covering Nav type stuff in the CPO or later windows as one example of what CPO doesn't cover. In general and from using it a good amount on the 2006 A8 W12, it was very strong and most everything that tended to come up was covered, no muss no fuss. Just about as seamless as 4/50 to me, but then I also know cars, Audis and shop type nomenclature and how a good service advisor can help you get things covered at the margin.

When I waved the guy off on the extended warranty discussion, he actually led with the Nav system exclusion on CPO, so I can fill that one out some. On the D3's what seems to go are the screen lift motor drives, but those are more like post 100K miles and 10 years out. Us hands on types have disassembled them and replaced some plastic gears for like $50. They were also DVD based in that era, while this is a hard drive I guess. On the other hand, our 2013 Hybrid already blew its drive unit by two years and about 20K miles. Also an "Audi Connect" type set up. Wasn't happy about that reliability wise; dealer said they had seen some of those, but maybe more a Q5 and A/S5 thing. Part cost thousands. Deep inside is some 40G type drive long since obsoleted and probably the drive line sold to the Chinese for scrap 10 years ago. Example of how in the tech components something could bite if only option is to replace a big assembly. But I also know from 30 years experience if something pricy tends to come up a lot, someone develops a work around or business to fix--like the MMI gears, ABS modules, Audi center displays of yore, etc.

Net net, as I get near end of CPO and definitely pre 75K miles (as I learned w/ W12), I will look harder this time at some of the exclusionary "Platinum" type warranties. But not now. My W12 service advisor (the manager) said they could sell them at a lower price than the car sales channel, whatever that meant. But I had run just past 75K, so could no longer get the exclusionary (more or less "full coverage") one. I checked what was covered based on my actual CPO experience against the next step down "Gold" level of coverage and found way too many holes, as well as the "wear and tear" exclusion. That made that level of coverage non sensical so I went bare.

I always do my own tires via an indy shop anyway, and brakes and such. Thus no coverage there. I'm also starting with very low miles (3200) but 18 months in, so coverage for me would be more interesting if more liberal on time than miles.

I did buy AudiCare by the way, AFTER confirming the prior owner had not bought it--since it is transferable. Always check that first via sales person (by VIN) since otherwise you just needlessly pay again. Specific to the S8 it makes sense. Ditto on a W12, 4.0T. Buried in the service schedules, an S8 and the others needs a "major" service at 35K. That means plugs, twin air filters and such, plus the usual oil, HVAC filters at times and brake fluid every two years. That inclusion of the major service (and some incremental parts on S8 and especially W12) make AudiCare a pretty easy decision if you pencil out the numbers. For only the baseline 3.0T's is it maybe less compelling, since their first "major" interval is at 55K and thus outside AudiCare window. I like it anyway for my once a year get things checked out, bring in the warranty punch list, get the free loaner, etc. If I can time it right with my low miles, I will actually try to space the four services I get out to 63 months from in service date (max permitted), then "buy" the Select coverage for 65K and 75K. Since mine was at only 3200 miles, so far it has only had the complimentary 5K service based on one year elapsed rather than miles. Getting the 65K + 75K gets me next major service again (35K, 75K, 105K), and probably takes me thru about end of CPO coverage along side. They have bumped the pricing and narrowed the years covered on it though, so not as compelling as it used to be. You also can't buy it until you get to the higher miles near end of std. AudiCare.

Anybody have the "other" Vermont Brown S8 from the LA area by chance from last week? The one that sold earlier than mine, though a bit different option spec.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-10-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you sir, all good information!