A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Vision Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cadstar0776
BigG..I'm just curious, how does the front camera work, is there a button (for lack of better term..as i dont see many buttns) that activates it and actually shows the road ahead of you in black and white like the merc system. In other words will the front cameras work independent of the infrared cameras or are they one in the same.
There are a number of sensors in the front of the D4 A8. There are the sonic parking sensors on the bumpers. Then the 2 radar sensors for adaptive cruise where the fog lamps used to be. Then the IR camera for night vision in one of the 4 rings on the grill. Finally a normal camera for lane assist (among other things) on the other side of the rear view mirror in the windshield. So the IR camera is independent of the normal camera but you cannot watch the normal camera image from the car.

The switch for the night vision is the middle button to the left of the headlight **** in the US. The three buttons there are from top to bottom (assuming you have the LED package) all weather light, night vision, rear fog lights. If you do not have the LED package the top button is omitted. If you switch on the night vision, a real time black and white image of the road appears in the info screen between the speedo and tach.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

By the way, as many have noted in the forum, night vision is an interesting option but I find it of limited use day to day. If you are considering between options I would highly recommend you get instead the drive select plus pkg which will get you the sports rear diff. If you drive spirited, there is a significant improvement in handling with the sports rear diff. Congrats on the new car. I think I read somewhere else in this forum that you just placed your order.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by cadstar0776
BigG..I'm just curious, how does the front camera work, is there a button (for lack of better term..as i dont see many buttns) that activates it and actually shows the road ahead of you in black and white like the merc system. In other words will the front cameras work independent of the infrared cameras or are they one in the same.
As hupark noted, the switch is in the middle of the button stack located to the left of the exterior light dial swith (see the below image---button with roadway and moon symbol). This swith controls both the camera and warning system. Even though ambient exterior temps above 77 degrees will deactivate the visual and audable Night Vision warning systems, the infrared camera will still operate. As I've indicated before in other posts, it may be a good thing to have even without the warnings if you frequently drive in extreme fog or rain conditions where visability gets severely limited.

But also as stated by hupark, if it's a choice between options, the Drive Select Plus package is more critical to have IMO.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Night Visio Issue

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
Cad - YES, it is basically a novelty for So Florida. I've had 2 instances with pedestrians in the roadway in pitch dark this summer with no night vision warning. Not a malfunction, as Derf pointed out.

The high beam LED's are definitely more practical in low visibility situations (hopefully you ordered the full LED headlights)

I imagine the night vision is more useful in northern US and Europe and less so in Southern US, Asia and Mideast.
Night Vision is a problem here in Northern California as well where we get the heat. Took my Audi into the dealer. They sat on it for 4 days to tell me that it had to do with the heat and that nothing was wrong with the electrical system. I watched the online manual piece, followed everything it told me , read the manual and missed the heat warning. I'm not thrilled that they can't figure this out. What gets me is that they told me that the symbols will stay on even when you are driving at night. I know this is not true as we have not had this issue before. However, has this happened for people when driving in the heat at night with their night vision on?