A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O Wise Forum Members... Guide me to the Sacred A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post O Wise Forum Members... Guide me to the Sacred A8

Greetings All,

I had a long post written and my computer decided to refresh the page... so you're getting the truncated version now.
I'm looking for your sage advice and guidance.

Looking to upgrade from my 2016 VW Passat to a 2014+ Audi A8.
I'll be trading in the Passat.
Zip code for reference is 04005.
Timeline for purchase is before Memorial Day 2022.

I like to think I'm not picky, but I'll let you be the judge of that

Must:
Under $35K
Rear seat comfort package (the one that pushes passenger seat forward and kicks out footrest)
Cold weather package (you'll see why when you use that reference zip code)

Prefer:
Not black interior/exterior color
Nougat brown interior
Driver assistance package with lane assist, radar cruise control, etc.
Not diesel

Nice to have:
Moonlight Blue exterior
Somewhere within 500 miles so I can drive the Passat there for a trade-in, unless you think I should sell to Carvana or Vroom or something like that
With the turbo warranty extension, not too worried about the engine size, it's just a vehicle to get me from home to work, and do our road trips in.

Hit me with your best shot. Or tell me that I'm too picky.

Respectfully,
SilentHatch

Last edited by SilentHatch; 03-25-2022 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Edit to add timeline for purchase
Old 03-25-2022, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Visit your local Audi dealer.

Meet the salesman that specializes in A8's.

Buy the car from him.
The following users liked this post:
SilentHatch (03-27-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 10:03 AM
W12 Aficionado

Received 608 Likes on 408 Posts

Hi! You’re going to enjoy this upgrade from the Passat! Since VW made the push for US and China market share they became much less European and much more plastic.

For starters your requirement for the ‘Rear Comfort Seat’ narrows down your search immediately. It requires 4-seater package in the US, which was standard on the W12 but a $12,500 option on the A8 L. I have seen it specc’d on a handful of 2011s (which predate the W12 which I think is the reason why) but I have never seen a facelift V6 or V8 with it. So that leaves our search to W12s alone, more bad news.. there were only 36 facelift W12s sent to North America. And some of those 36 were 5-seater (almost 50% in my cataloguing of all the NA W12 VINs) and of the remaining 18-ish only ~1/3 will have the comfort seat. So you’re hoping that 1 of the 6 facelift W12s with rear comfort seat will be 1) for sale, 2) not black 3) near you 4) about $15,000-20,000 below market value

Just clarify, you’re looking for this specific option, right? (See pic below) it comes with the comfort seat (leg rest and extra massage functions for that seat, fold out writing table and champagne cooler)

It’s not all bad news though if you did want this package, BUT you’ll have to budge somewhere. A 2011 4.2 can be found with this package, but then you’re pre-facelift and it’s likely you’ll search will take a bit. Bonus is that they seem to be fully loaded when specc’d 4-seater (and I mean legit fully loaded, not Craigslist fully loaded where the car is missing like half of the possible options, like B&O, full leather, night vision, sport diff and all the other goodies that are standard on the W12 like soft close doors, dual pane acoustic glass, LED headlights, vent/massage seats, heated steering wheel, pano roof, etc, etc). I’ve seen these priced around $20k and below, reasonable miles as well and most of the time not black if you can believe that.

Next option as I see it is a prefacelift W12. Still difficult to find and miles are going to be up there, and will likely challenge your price range as the good ones are hovering around 40-50k, but, you end up with the flagship and the most goodies possible. Rarity, if you care for that, and a bunch of things only available for the 12 cylinder. The W12 is extremely reliable as well and the issue of engine removal for small items is a thing of the past. They do need carbon cleaning but there’s no other common big ticket items for these engines. In Europe the 6.3L I’ve seen run reliably for well over 250k, the older 6.0L I’ve seen some cars over 400k!!!!

Finally the last option is to get a 5-seater with the normal rear seat comfort package. This gives you reclining rear seats, with massage on facelift, and find one with RSE (rear seat entertainment) and you have a pretty nice rear seat situation, in your price range, on a facelift. Still hard to find those two options, but doable, especially in colors other than black. No leg rest, writing table, full length tunnel or champagne cooler, but still cool.

Happy to help you find your needle in a haystack, you sound like you’re interested in an A8 for similar reasons that I am

The following 2 users liked this post by 2turbos4rings:
09S5 (03-29-2022), GreggRLewis (03-29-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TBH, Too picky on a used car, on a budget...A8 is rare enough, good luck finding one that meets your standards.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnlyGerman:
GreggRLewis (03-29-2022), SilentHatch (03-27-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 11:35 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 494 Likes on 395 Posts

Plenty to choose from if you skip the ‘Rear Comfort Seat’.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:20 PM
W12 Aficionado

Doing a quick search I found a 2011 with reclining rear seats, RSE, blue with nougat and driver’s assist. But prefacelift and 150k miles. But also it’s well under 20k. I found nothing of note for a facelift within or near budget.
SilentHatch (03-27-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 01:34 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 494 Likes on 395 Posts

Rephrase... Something will most likely show up within the next couple months, within your timeframe and budget... if you skip that rear seat package and be flexible with your preferences. This isn't a high volume production vehicle, per-say, and you may need to extend your timeframe to find your soulmate car Otherwise, yes, you are probably being too picky within your timeframe. ...but you might get lucky. Happy hunting!
SilentHatch (03-27-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 01:40 PM
W12 Aficionado

I think that’s the ticket there. Either budget or time constraint is going to be the limiting factor. I know what it’s like to NEEED a certain option or options. Hold out and you’ll find the right car. We spend so much time with them, why not get the one you really want
SilentHatch (03-27-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

3 very nice W12 versions on cargurus right now... Plano Texas, Indy and Columbus Ohio.

The one in Columbus (Toyota dealer) looks like it has all the options you are looking for!

Out of budget, but may be worth the added expense.
SilentHatch (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you so much for the information!
I am happy that the Passat has been going with no issues, but I've fallen in love with the A8s since seeing pictures of them. And yes, my Passat is plastic everywhere.
I am clearly not experienced in checking the VINs for the package information, so thank you very much for taking the time to look!

I think this A8 near me (51 miles) for sale is kind of what I was looking for, there's an image that shows the rear seat capability of reclining.
Danville, NH - 2015 Audi A8 on AutoTrader

But the miles are up there, and maybe that's what I have to sacrifice on.

I hear all of the sentiment being sent my way about being too refined, and I appreciate the honesty! I will be sure to read through and reply again.

Quick Reply: O Wise Forum Members... Guide me to the Sacred A8