A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O Wise Forum Members... Guide me to the Sacred A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 03:16 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 494 Likes on 395 Posts

110K is not too bad. Just be sure to read the codes before signing anything!
...and determine the turbo/screen status.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
110K is not too bad. Just be sure to read the codes before signing anything!
...and determine the turbo/screen status.
Do you mean plug in an OBD reader to check for codes? I have one of the cheaper ones, but have one suggested from this forum in my saved for later on Amazon.
Second, then to also ask if the screens were replaced on the turbos to make sure I don't have to front that cost, correct?

Just want to make sure I clarify first - I did think about getting the VCDS from ross-tech, but seemed a little high until I learn more about what it can do.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:56 PM
Super-Duper User

Yes and yes.
You have a couple more years on the turbo warranty, but it will drive you crazy if you don't know the actual status. Check the CARFAX for mention of the repair, and call the warranty service dealer and everyone who serviced the car, and try to get its history. It's probably not going to be a screen replacement, but more likely turbo replacement. See if you can get details as to whether the screen was changed (as it should have been) at the same service.
Consider an XTOOL D8 if you don't have a laptop to use with the VCDS. It costs more, but is self contained - doesn't need a laptop - and will communicate with most all cars, unlike the VCDS.
Plan on needing to do front end service, expensive fluid changes, tires, brakes and frequent spark plug replacement. Worth it, though
Do a lot of reading here, as much as you can before purchase! Post your scan here, if possible.

Last edited by A8L_New_England; 03-27-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes and yes.
You have a couple more years on the turbo warranty, but it will drive you crazy if you don't know the actual status. Check the CARFAX for mention of the repair, and call the warranty service dealer and everyone who serviced the car, and try to get its history. It's probably not going to be a screen replacement, but more likely turbo replacement. See if you can get details as to whether the screen was changed (as it should have been) at the same service.
Consider an XTOOL D8 if you don't have a laptop to use with the VCDS. It costs more, but is self contained - doesn't need a laptop - and will communicate with most all cars, unlike the VCDS.
Plan on needing to do front end service, expensive fluid changes, tires, brakes and frequent spark plug replacement. Worth it, though
Do a lot of reading here, as much as you can before purchase! Post your scan here, if possible.

Thanks New England - I do have a laptop, anything special about it needed to work with VCDS?
The actual place has a listing and I'm wondering how long this car will sit there because it's already been a month since I first found it.
https://www.flying-wheels.com/detail...-a8-l/82521108
They state on the autotrader website that they just did rear brakes on the car.

You're saying more likely a turbo replacement because previous owner likely did not read the forums here and see the discussions revolving around said turbos and then likely had it die on them while driving (if they were replaced, that is)?
It seems I have more reading to do around here, appreciate the insight so far. I wish I could keep the new Blizzak snow tires I just bought in October, but those are definitely way too small 😂😂

Thanks again for your time.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 157 Likes on 130 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 2turbos4rings

Finally the last option is to get a 5-seater with the normal rear seat comfort package. This gives you reclining rear seats, with massage on facelift, and find one with RSE (rear seat entertainment) and you have a pretty nice rear seat situation, in your price range, on a facelift. Still hard to find those two options, but doable, especially in colors other than black. No leg rest, writing table, full length tunnel or champagne cooler, but still cool.

Wow I thought reclining rear seats were only available on 4 seat cars. Good to know.. @SilentHatch Good luck, its all about time and cash. I Agree, hold out but you might compromise in other ways. I would view this more like 4 seat vs 5 seat. As much and I would like to recommend a 4 seat car, Its not practical in my life and use..
Old 03-28-2022, 09:23 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 608 Likes on 408 Posts

Yes, the 5-seater W12 has reclining and massage/heat/vent rear seats standard still- unlike the US D3 5-seater W12 that only got heat and lumbar (massage/vent never made it to US rear seats for D3). In Europe you can even get reclining seats on the short wheelbase! The reclining seats can be specc’d on non-W12 US LWB 5-seaters, then with massage/ventilation starting in 2014.

On the D3 they made short wheelbase 4-seaters as well with a short rear console. Only the LWB D4 gets a console in the rear and 4 seats.

I scooped up some massage and ventilated D3 rear seats and one of the short rear consoles from Europe, very cool. You only got the console if you ordered the fax/copy/print machine!!!

Come on Oberklasse, life is too short to be practical!
Old 03-29-2022, 06:16 AM
Super-Duper User

Originally Posted by SilentHatch
Thanks New England - I do have a laptop, anything special about it needed to work with VCDS?

You're saying more likely a turbo replacement because previous owner likely did not read the forums here and see the discussions revolving around said turbos and then likely had it die on them while driving (if they were replaced, that is)?
Yes, something like that I don't think there are many folks who have preemptively changed the screen, then sold the car.
***Breaking News! Screen Recall** https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25695953
That's a PC, not Mac, I believe. Don't know if it would run on emulation software, and wouldn't risk it!

Last edited by A8L_New_England; 03-29-2022 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 157 Likes on 130 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 2turbos4rings

I scooped up some massage and ventilated D3 rear seats and one of the short rear consoles from Europe, very cool. You only got the console if you ordered the fax/copy/print machine!!!

Come on Oberklasse, life is too short to be practical!
An absolute MUST HAVE as life moves by as fast. Der Oberklasse are masters of time management, efficient travel and precise communication.

Your commitment to the Legacy is profound. Well done.

Last edited by OberklasseA8; 03-29-2022 at 11:49 PM. Reason: character building
Old 03-30-2022, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OberklasseA8
Wow I thought reclining rear seats were only available on 4 seat cars. Good to know.. @SilentHatch Good luck, its all about time and cash. I Agree, hold out but you might compromise in other ways. I would view this more like 4 seat vs 5 seat. As much and I would like to recommend a 4 seat car, Its not practical in my life and use..

@OberklasseA8 - Thanks, based on the other information by New_England, I am tempted to pull the trigger on that 110K one... and then bring that to my local Audi dealer for the screen recall... Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2022, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, something like that I don't think there are many folks who have preemptively changed the screen, then sold the car.
***Breaking News! Screen Recall** https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25695953
That's a PC, not Mac, I believe. Don't know if it would run on emulation software, and wouldn't risk it!
Thank you for the link to the recall @A8L_New_England !

Quick Reply: O Wise Forum Members... Guide me to the Sacred A8