A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold my A8. Now what??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sold my A8. Now what??

Well, just over 3 years to the day, I sold my 2011 4.2 A8L with 135k miles on it. Got a great price, was willing to let it go, there was an oil leak that was going. To cost 2500 to fix, so I feel good about moving it, but hell I love that car.

Looking for suggestions for moving forward here. I do t need a car immediately thankfully, I have my summer car just about ready for the road, but I need to be making plans.

So my options as they are (trying to keep in the $55k price range)
Used A8 again( firmament blue, black Interior B&O please)
New/used A6 New/used Volvo s90

One of these things is not like the other, but the Volvo is nice.

Ideally, I would like to have better gas mileage, and in theory, the Volvo delivers that. So does the A6.

Any thoughts or ideas?
​​​​
Old 03-05-2022, 01:30 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

A late model Volvo S90 or even S60 is a good looking car. Like the A8/S8 it won't stick out or turn heads but it will likely be unique to other cars on the road.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In this market, would of been better to hold on to it...Where was the leak?
Old 03-05-2022, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
In this market, would of been better to hold on to it...Where was the leak?
I mean, maybe? But by the same token, it will never be worth what it is now. I got a price I was happy with and got out of a car with some paintenance issues coming up. Plus again, it was a 12 year old car at this point. Not an unreasonable time to upgrade it. Especially as I have 6 months to replace it, I can take the time to find exactly what I want

The leak was at the rear of the engine somewhere. Last time I took the underbody panel off, the entire underside of the oil pan was caked with dried oil and there was an active drip and the underpanel was starting to saturate with oil. So the leak had grown to the point I was going on have to start doing something about it
Old 03-05-2022, 09:02 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 606 Likes on 406 Posts

Do you need 4 doors? My vote is Aston Martin Rapide if you do.

For no other reason than I really like them so I want someone in my life to own one.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2turbos4rings
Do you need 4 doors? My vote is Aston Martin Rapide if you do.

For no other reason than I really like them so I want someone in my life to own one.
I already have a play car or I would do this. But if you were to give me an interest and payment free loan, then I am glad to let you live vicariously though me!
Old 03-06-2022, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For $55k get a 2016 S8.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:30 AM
W12 Aficionado

Let me think about it. I’ll get back to you

If you’re looking for something more sedate and you have a penchant for the brand with four rings (and again, you need 4 doors) the A6 allroad is currently the best non-RS car Audi makes. Objectively by far the best looking, proportions spot. on. Interior is the very best for current design language. The options you’re going to want to see are available coming from a 2011 A8. Sublime ride and flexibility to do anything you need, a special looking car in a sea of over-designed sedans and soccer mom SUVs. It’s the thinking-man’s daily in my opinion.

Now you may be thinking ‘I don’t need the hatch’ but the allroad trim gets you the more aggressive looks, wide body, much more standard kit and you’ll likely never see another on the road. And I’ll say it again, it really looks the business. RS 6 esque even.

The trouble is finding one, and then finding it in your price range, but very worth putting it on your list.

If you splurge a bit and pick up a prestige you get matrix headlights and LED tails that do the lighting dance, dual pane glass, soft close doors, head-up display, adaptive cruise add luxury package and get massage and extended leather. B&O premium is standard, advanced is a stand-alone option

The slow sloped hatch makes it look almost like a shooting brake, and the Black Optic package also really looks the business

The following 2 users liked this post by 2turbos4rings:
dassq5 (03-07-2022), mhoran89 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

I've always been a sedan guy, but every now and again there's a wagon-esque vehicle that'll tickle my fancy. Last one was the Dodge Magnum- I never got to drive one but I always thought they looked pretty cool. I don't think I've seen an AR up close before, now that I think on it. I like a muscular profile on my cars; when did they last put a MT in one of those? It looks like it needs one.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:04 PM
W12 Aficionado

Same! I don’t remember how old I was when the Magnum came out, elementary school I think, and I remember thinking it was so cool.

The last one you could get in North America was 2005 which was a C5, just like my 03 seen below. I had a few of ‘em. They were quite rare too with about 3,000 over the 5 year production. They made C6 and C7 (h y p e r rare) with manual trans but no more unfortunately. I’m not sure about the A4 ‘smallroad’ as they’re called. Because they aren’t considered true allroads I never really got into them. One of the C8s with a manual trans and some performance fiddling would be a very cool daily indeed.

Quick Reply: Sold my A8. Now what??