A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to look at D4’s - pano roof reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Starting to look at D4’s - pano roof reliability?

Multiple D2’s, D3 and I suppose a D4 is on deck (my A5 experiment is not working out so well). I’m starting to look around and really like the pano roof option. I’m getting really mixed reviews though fon the general idea but not necessarily Audi specific. General complaints seem to be squeaks, leaking and high heat. I can live with the addl heat but squeaks/higher noise level will drive me crazy.

What’s the general consensus on the D4’s in this area?

thanks

Old 03-06-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Got the pano roof. No complaints at all.
There was a recall some months ago to replace all the rubber seals so no squeaks nor leaks.
For the heat you have the electric shades on both.

Last edited by laurent0613; 03-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my D4 for 4 years now and have no complaints about the pano roof.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by BruceLeroy1984
I've had my D4 for 4 years now and have no complaints about the pano roof.
it seems the pano roof is quieter than the regular sunroof, which I have.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine (pano)whistles above around 65mph, which can be annoying until I turn up the stereo...

I will get it taken care of one of these days...
Old 03-06-2019, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

S8 has the std. (short wheelbase) roof, but no mechanical issues there. On D3 sunroof (pre-pano design), only issue over life of car has been the motor that raises and lowers the wind flap. Replaced it myself. Closing the sun shade reduces noise at highway speeds some, both on the D3 W12 and the D4 S8. Both already have acoustic glass too, so are generally very quiet compared to most vehicles.

Q5 has pano roof--somewhat more wind noise, but that is a more upright SUV design, has roof rails (no crossbars on ours) and is a generally cheaper B8 A5 design take off.

For roof heat, from having first done it on a pano Mini S, then the Q5, and more recently my std. sunroof D4 S8 and a Golf R, you can just get it tinted some if it is an issue in your climate. I used 70% (30 percent light reduction) high performance ceramic type film, which reduces the IR heat load about 50%. 3M Crystalline specifically. Went from feeling summer solar heat on my arm or thinning head to nothing. Darkening the roof a bit more made it easier on my no sunglasses eyes too.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-06-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:48 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I used 70% (30 percent light reduction) high performance ceramic type film, which reduces the IR heat load about 50%. 3M Crystalline specifically. Went from feeling summer solar heat on my arm or thinning head to nothing. Darkening the roof a bit more made it easier on my no sunglasses eyes too.
That's great news... I've been thinking of tinting my back window to reduce the baking effect, and will now add the sunroof to that. I believe 3M Crystalline also comes in a nearly-clear product to keep up with light reduction laws in some (including mine) states? The only thing that has stopped me is the potential for distortion when looking through the back glass.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I also had my windshield tinted with a "clear" ceramic tint to help cut the heat load within the car even further. It did make a difference, and you can't tell it's there at all...
Old 03-07-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
That's great news... I've been thinking of tinting my back window to reduce the baking effect, and will now add the sunroof to that. I believe 3M Crystalline also comes in a nearly-clear product to keep up with light reduction laws in some (including mine) states? The only thing that has stopped me is the potential for distortion when looking through the back glass.
I no longer tint back glass due to that distortion nighttime headlight beam diffraction from the defroster lines etched to the glass. Had it on my D3 and definitely noticed it. To get the same or more overall reduction effect I tint sunroof--especially on a pano with large surface area and flat surface. Back glass is also expensive to tint if you ever get it quoted separately--both general hassles working back there and the complex curvatures that takes more labor time to shape it correctly with the heat gun techniques.

I have used Crystalline 90 on one front window application, but otherwise use the 70. Some use it for front windows where they want tint to be hardly noticed. There is so much light from the sunroof in general, that honestly you don't notice much overall difference in appearance looking out. At first I was worried about that given glass already has the noticeable factory tint, but found the incremental difference small. I could almost argue for using their 50 frankly for it from my own results. I think 90 is used primarily for windshield tinting, which in CA is a big no no. I end up replacing most vehicle windshields I own once or twice anyway, so too much $$ there even if I could get past the other concerns there.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-07-2019 at 07:47 AM.