A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Static clicking sound randomly inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static clicking sound randomly inside

just got a 2015 A8 and when driving it at random times I hear a 3 clicking sound almost muffled and static like sound. It happens randomly and not sure where it’s coming from. Sound like speakers but could also be the MMI itself. ive not tried to mute the audio to see if that stops it. It’s pretty quick and doesn’t do it consistently. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think its the audio system, you might be able to remove a fuse or 3 so all speakers are completely inoperable to help isolate the problem.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Does it sound similar to when you place a cell phone next to a speaker? Like a chirping sound?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jibsymalone
Does it sound similar to when you place a cell phone next to a speaker? Like a chirping sound?
Its really hard to describe, I’d say a cross between a chirp and a static click. Does it like 3 times and then stops. It’s also random and I can’t quickly record it or move around as it only lasts 2-3 seconds. It’s annoying though.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine does the same thing. I have read it could be a few different things, but most seem to point to the hard drive. Apparently these cars are known for some weird and wonderful random electronic noises?!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jibsymalone
Mine does the same thing. I have read it could be a few different things, but most seem to point to the hard drive. Apparently these cars are known for some weird and wonderful random electronic noises?!
Ok good to know, guess I’ll have to just keep the radio louder LOL
Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh for sure, that fixes a multitude of issue 😉
Old 03-15-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Search on it. Some recently say it is key synching periodically, and there is some supposed patch. Earlier my speculation was a hard drive head movement, since there is a now yesteryear hard drive at the heart of D4 MMI. My kids can hear it, by my ears don't pick it up for whatever reason. The hard drive theory worries me some, since our similar hard drive 2013 Q5 system just suddenly crashed one day--with that sickening hard drive to the rotating disc out of no where final sound. A three grand plus complete subassembly (under warranty) for basically an obsolete $30, sub-100 megabyte hard drive. For now, glad to know CPO picks up the MMI, Nav and sound related components as of last several years.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-15-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:48 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Search on it. Some recently say it is key synching periodically, and there is some supposed patch. Earlier my speculation was a hard drive head movement, since there is a now yesteryear hard drive at the heart of D4 MMI. My kids can hear it, by my ears don't pick it up for whatever reason. The hard drive theory worries me some, since our similar hard drive 2013 Q5 system just suddenly crashed one day--with that sickening hard drive to the rotating disc out of no where final sound. A three grand plus complete subassembly (under warranty) for basically an obsolete $30, sub-100 megabyte hard drive. For now, glad to know CPO picks up the MMI, Nav and sound related components as of last several years.
Does the hard drive serve any function other than storing music?
I have an intermittent >muffled jingle bells< sound that, like the OP described, comes on randomly, lasts about 3 cycles, then disappears. Wife can hear it from the passenger seat, tho I think it comes mainly from the left side of the car. It almost always comes on within a couple minutes of starting out in the morning. On highway trips, it will chime in for no good reason at no discernable interval.
If the hard drive's only function is to store music, I'm not terribly affected as I listen to XM/Sirius much more than stored tunes.

Side note: Is music quality that much better from the iPhone via cable vs SD cards or hard drive?? I reread your post about using a iPod... I do that for my Goldwing once I discovered there are no radio stations to listen to when carving canyons in the middle of nowhere. So I have an old iPod to hookup if the sound quality is that much better.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It doesn't matter if the music comes from iPod/Iphone or SD cards, what matters is the bitrate of the recorded music.

Quick Reply: Static clicking sound randomly inside