A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch for A8L with the 4.0T V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch for A8L with the 4.0T V8

Just bought a 2016 A8 and am looking to find a trailer hitch for it to tow maximum of about 2900 lbs. has anyone done this and how did it work? Does anyone have information on available hitches and where to get them? I tried U Haul which does a lot of hitches around here but have recieved different answers from different dealers. I want a good hitch done right. Have read that the car can tow 4000 to 6000 lbs. would not want to tow that much but have a boat in the 2500 pound range with trailer. Don’t like SUVs, would like to do it with this car. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

From having done a D3, the harder part is probably the wiring--in terms of doing it right, sourcing, etc. But, finding either part for a D4 will be a real challenge for those of us in North America. A lot of hitch threads these days don't even get to the wiring for folks who are just using a hitch to hang bike carriers and such.

Best option would be to track down a Euro style hitch. The D4 had a disappearing motorized one, but that is overkill. I would try finding the non-motorized one with the factory equivalent wiring. I don't know if someone is still active importing them--prior importer (I forget name) for Audis was very expensive and erratic, and I think probably gone as a business anyway. To be clear, the Euro ones design wise do not come straight out in the back like the American style 2" box. Instead, the mount area is hidden underneath and the tow ball assembly actually locks in vertically and wraps around the bumper cover. Really cheap ones are just a permanent metal extension with a ball on it that always stays there, but on better ones that is completely removable so you see nothing except when using it. The good ones/factory for the Class II equivalent range you want with your boat spec will then bolt to the car at the rear bumper shock frame rail area. That means bumper cover assembly has to come completely off. No way around that, so a heads up. Thus it gets more into body shop category, as opposed to some generic hitch place that is more bolt, weld and cut stuff. They do not bolt from underneath like a truck, SUV or minivan might.

Current starting point might be searching on ebay UK. British name for them is typically tow bar. You have find someone who would ship internationally. Given weight, most don't from my prior poking at it. Or if they do, not beyond the E.U. Honestly, probably not something you will get to finish line on by web. You might find a hitch installer type in UK that way selling some on EBay, but a guess is you will have to get on phone to try to get it done and shipped.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-30-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you find one in the UK and can't get it shipped to the states and you're stuck let me know, I'd think I could get it delivered to me and then get it sent onto you.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 hitch

Thanks for the help. I found one in the UK . Have to contact them about shipping. Price of about $375 is not bad. I have a body shop buddy who can put it on I just have to get it here. I’ll let you know how it goes if I get it.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,170 Likes on 914 Posts

Subbed for info after install.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the link or contact info for the hitch. I am looking for one for my 2014 A8 short wheel base.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Perky
Do you have the link or contact info for the hitch. I am looking for one for my 2014 A8 short wheel base.
Did you see this thread? https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...l-a8l-2941604/. Looks like UHaul has a setup that will work for the D4 platform. I cant imagine a difference between SWB or LWB in terms of fitment.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zairbenji2842
Thanks for the help. I found one in the UK . Have to contact them about shipping. Price of about $375 is not bad. I have a body shop buddy who can put it on I just have to get it here. I’ll let you know how it goes if I get it.
Curious how this panned out for you. I'm on the search now.

I also want to find out of the OEM Westfalia unit has an adapter or something to use some other american accessories like a bike rack etc